Blessed and Grateful Fishing Trip June 22nd with Hammer!

My family and I were treated to one of those ONCE in a lifetime experiences today!

I am going to post one pic as I am not good resizing the images, but Seadweller is going to do the day justice with more pictures, video and commentary.

People spend a life time for days like this and for some reason the man upstairs shared one with us today...

Pete

Attachments

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Nice catch. those are some beautys. you are rite about the once in a lifetime. some people spend years and cant catch fish like that. and its helps you had a great captain ,rick is good at what he does. thanks for the great report it nice to see other people catching quallity fish.

Thanks Reel....... My son is 14 and while the girls had fun, HE had probably one of the greatest days of his life. Thanks to ALL you guys that help make these experiences happen.

At 7:00am we started the day off catching bait out in front of the condos... Kenedy caught the coolest fish of the day it was a gafftopsail pompano, which we released... then we headed out to the 18 mile reef... on our first drift Pete and Caden both hooked up... Caden was using an amber jig with 12 oz head and Pete was using a live bone fish...

Cadens fish shook free, but Pete was in for a fight with a beautiful 40 pound pinto... second drift, Pete hooked up again only this time it was going to be a real work out with the first of the 2 big fish of the day, it was a 65 pound Gulf Grouper...

On our third drift it was Cadens turn, and he hooked a 30 pound Gulf grouper on a live bonefish, on our 4th drift Caden hooked up on another Gulf Grouper that was 65 pounds but he seemed to bring it up with much more ease than his father, and this one was caught on an amber jig with a sierra filet added to it... all 4 fish were brought on board the "Arriba Too" by 11:30 am...

As Pete said this was one of those ONCE in a lifetime experiences... Just a fantastic day... Thanks Pete, great family...

here's a 5 minute video showing a little of the fun we all enjoyed...

[video=youtube;lz89ZH2O3Jo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz89ZH2O3Jo[/video]

OMG, what beautiful fish!!!! I'm so envious............................that looked like sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!! Great work Mark!!

OMG, what beautiful fish!!!! I'm so envious............................that looked like sooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!! Great work Mark!!
Julie, Thank You but I was just along to help my amigo Rick who did another great job putting us on the fish... Pete and Caden deserve all the credit for pulling those fish in... this was a very fun and successful trip, and the best part is we got to meet another great bunch of people from this forum that enjoy Rocky Point...

Mark, Mark, Mark..................did you think I was crediting you for the catch?????????? The comment was for the video, but I'm sure you served as a good luck charm:rofl::wink:

Mark, Mark, Mark..................did you think I was crediting you for the catch?????????? The comment was for the video, but I'm sure you served as a good luck charm:rofl::wink:
Well then Thank you for the comment on the video.... I think I was more of a cheerleader than good luck charm, because we all know this was all possible due to the skill of a great captain and a couple of awesome fishermen... and the girls did a fantastic job of catching bait...

Well then, where the hell was your skirt and pom-poms????!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't think about this until Stuart just brought it to my attention. "Bone fish"...........a friend of ours just went "bone fishing" in Honduras. This can't be the same fish, right?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Same fish. People pay big money to go to exotic places and stalk them on the flats with flyrods, like it's some kind of God/cult thing. Gimme a sabiki rig and I can have 15 of them in the bait tank just outside the harbor in a matter of minutes. As I've said in the past, "one man's trophy is another man's bait."
:gofishing:

OMFG, that's exactly what he did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will s**t a brick when we tell him this.....................I know he doesn't know they exist around RP. This is too funny...........................

"on live bonefish" Why am I not surprised?

Great catches, all!
Stuart... we have been having a lot of success with sierras as well... you know that they die quickly so we just slice them a few times on each side so they wiggle like one of the wooden snakes you can buy at any currios stand... that's what we used to hook that golden and several other gulf groupers in the past week...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I hear you, Mark. It's a shame the sierras don't live in the bait tank. They still work well fresh dead. I've gotten busted off many times while freelining (no weight) a whole dead sierra over a reef. They love 'em! Heck, I love to eat 'em, too. Just my opinion, but sierra makes the best ceviche there is. Excellent when grilled, fried, whatever. The whole key is fresh. Turns to mush if you freeze it, just not the same at all.

I hear you, Mark. It's a shame the sierras don't live in the bait tank. They still work well fresh dead. I've gotten busted off many times while freelining (no weight) a whole dead sierra over a reef. They love 'em! Heck, I love to eat 'em, too. Just my opinion, but sierra makes the best ceviche there is. Excellent when grilled, fried, whatever. The whole key is fresh. Turns to mush if you freeze it, just not the same at all.
I love 'em too... but I hate getting those big damn hooks in my lip... I like to throw them on the smoker...

Our buddy just got back from Hondoras................didn't catch a thing, but said he had a blast doing it!!!!!!!!!!!! My husband didn't get a chance to talk to him in length, the only other thing he said was that everything was very inexpensive there and just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!