Blowing Yet Again (still?)

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Stuart, how much do those bad boys cost from the vendor ?
$5 each in quantity... $7 each individually. Figuring an investment of driving down there, launch fees, ice, gas for the boat, etc. going into the $500-$600 range at minimum, it's worth it. And as Shawno pointed out, moving to a different spot isn't always the answer because the sea lions just tend to follow you, or a whole different set pops up at your new location.

Kenny

Seal bomb - basically an M-80 firecracker in a red, round waterproof hard plastic shell, with a waterproof fuse. Makes a BIG boom! Generally, not always, scares the sea lions away from the boat, but doesn't physically hurt them or blow them up or anything.

As far as scaring the fish - not on the deeper reefs. The fish are a couple hundred feet down and sound (knowing this from my Navy anti-submarine warfare days) bounces off the thermocline (area of colder water under the warmer water on top) and reflects back up to the surface.
Sounds very much like what has always been called a Cherry Bomb in this part of the world and they have been around at least since the 50's....I've seen them blow commodes to smithereens.
Seals aren't subs Stuart and the way sound carries in shallow warm water I'm sure there's more than one Seal out there that say's, huh, speak up, I can't hear you.

Last edited:

Roberto

The solution to the egregious behavior of the sea lions is simple. Have a Sea Lion hunt and kill the fat Bas#*#ds off. How dare they interfere with Nature and man's god given right to harvest the seas as they see fit. Those Sea Lions are doing the devil's work causing all that extra expense of a fishing trip, not to mention the disappointment of not killing a bunch of fish. Yes it's clearly unnatural that those sea lions should attempt to eat whatever fish they see. They need to understand that the bait on a line is off limits to them. Yes, a Sea Lion Hunt, that's the ticket. Catch them on shore and you can club them to death too. convince people that there is something in a sea lion that they can eat to improve sexual performance and the harvest will be on.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Any MORE bleeding heart comments??? Good grief! You people take stuff way too seriously then fret over it and continue to beat it like a dead horse. :deadhorse:

I learned about seal bombs from the Mexicans. And oh, the pirate ship that loves to toss them off in shallow water just outside the harbor.

No sea lions were injured in the posting of this message. But if there happened to be one nearby, I'd surely club it to death. :roll:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hard to take you seriously at all, Roberto!!! We know you sell Real Estate. <JUST KIDDING!!!> :har:

GW.jpg Need a few of these in the waters around La Pinta to make the seals tow the line. Sure looks that is La Pinta in the background. Seals be warned. Fishermen rejoice!:sunny:

azfish

Any MORE bleeding heart comments??? Good grief! You people take stuff way too seriously then fret over it and continue to beat it like a dead horse. :deadhorse:

I learned about seal bombs from the Mexicans. And oh, the pirate ship that loves to toss them off in shallow water just outside the harbor.

No sea lions were injured in the posting of this message. But if there happened to be one nearby, I'd surely club it to death. :roll:
Make sure you save me a few sea lion staeks. I hear it help hair grow.

Estero

Fishing in San Carlos is on fire! Apparently no wind there. Here is a quote from the San Carlos board

"Sick weekend of fishing.. Our SC 1st timmer released 10 sails, 5 Marlin , & Caught 20 Plus Dorado ( Most released) & 1 Tuna.. Gee I wonder why he wants to come back next weekend.. fishing is off the Chart..Wide Wide Wide open Dorado Bite .. Today 215 at 12 Miles.. Plus Billfish ever were

I spoke to 1/2 Dozen boats both days that Just Killed them..SC summer 2013 will go down in the History books.. WOW WHAT FUN.. Found Brian & Aaron around Noon., they were already out of Bait.. Wade Helped them out.. Think we Used 98 baits in 2 days.."

Good underwater footage of a released Sail at about 3:10 Fising with Large 002 - YouTube

GV Jack

Snorin God
I have a buddy that goes down the all the time and he says it is the best summer of fishing he's ever seen there.

He did turn around and come back in early July because of the wind, but other than that it's been great.