Blowing Yet Again (still?)

Seal bomb - basically an M-80 firecracker in a red, round waterproof hard plastic shell, with a waterproof fuse. Makes a BIG boom! Generally, not always, scares the sea lions away from the boat, but doesn't physically hurt them or blow them up or anything.

As far as scaring the fish - not on the deeper reefs. The fish are a couple hundred feet down and sound (knowing this from my Navy anti-submarine warfare days) bounces off the thermocline (area of colder water under the warmer water on top) and reflects back up to the surface.

Here's what we use. Works every time.

Rick
Cholla Bay

http://dragonlaffs.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/14.gif

MIRAMAR

Wow, this weekend was beautiful-I have never been down in August without being miserable. But this weekend was dry, cool at night, perfect. Enjoyed the meteor shower, the water was not too warm, and the crescent moon setting was bright orange- I've never have seen anything like that.

Wow, this weekend was beautiful-I have never been down in August without being miserable. But this weekend was dry, cool at night, perfect. Enjoyed the meteor shower, the water was not too warm, and the crescent moon setting was bright orange- I've never have seen anything like that.
Save some for me next week. I have been dreading the heat.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Roberto

Yes, the weather has been spectuacular for August, so far any way. Yesterday in the morning it was cooler outside than inside at my joint.

Landshark

One man was killed the other pretty messed up. Making the Sly Stalone movie.
I just read about it. It was a tragic accident involving what one article said was supposed to be a fake explosive device. These guys were talented stuntmen, not idiots.

Better a fire cracker than the way the commercial fisherman handled the problem in the 90s in Northern California.
The small commercial Salmon fishermen up there almost all carried 22 rifles and shot the seals. My dad being one of them.
The ones I know of fished out of Patricks Point.

mondone

Whitecaps
Very windy all night and this morning with waves crashing Playa Encanto. Had a max wind gust of 41 MPH @8:30AM and currently blowing @ 27 to 30MPH right now. Going to be like this all day and night according to forecast.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Great...... I'm leaving at 11:30 to drive down......Just what I wanted to do, drive a tall, big tired Jeep loaded to the gills in a windstorm.......Argh!

mondone

Whitecaps
My son just called and took my advice. I think all who are headed down today think about waiting til morning. I don't think it is worth trying the trip today.

GV Jack

Snorin God
God Speed Chari. Winds on SR 85 at the Landfill are about 15 to 20.
No reports between there and PP, but at 28 sustained at PP. Try getting behind a southbound vehicle
and let him shield you. It's coming from the SW. Blowing like crazy here. Wish I were going with you.