Calle 13 & 12 - paving

El Gato

Was anyone over by Calle 13 & 12 this past weekend? My understanding is that they were suppose to start paving last Saturday. And that the road by the Convention Center is to start paving shortly.

Roberto

Yesterday afternoon the first block on Calle 13 just past Constitution was closed off with barriers. Might be the new paving venture. Maybe doing a block at a time so as to minimize impact on businesses. Will check later to see if I can tell what's going on.

El Gato

Roberto,

Thank you.

Understand paving of road by the Convention Center is to start fairly soon. Two weeks ago it looked like they were paving the parking lots there.

Terry C

Sonora Governor Guillermo Padres will be visiting Puerto Peñasco on Tuesday, June 25th, where he will take part in launching road paving projects that represent an investment of 180 million pesos.Beginning at 9 a.m., the Governor will announce the beginning work along Calle 13, Avenida 12, and the Boulevard extending from the folkart market on the former road to Cholla toward the new Convention Center.Puerto Peñasco Mayor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta will receive a check for funds to go toward the program “Paved all the way.”

The Mayor remarked this project will provide benefits to the community by improving the image of tourism zones, while addressing the deterioration of Calle 13, and will enhance connecting the city to the Convention Center.

Roberto

Calle 13 is (as of Tuesday, 7/23/2013) blocked off from Constitution all the way to the newly paved street to Sandy Beach. The parallel street to the east is similarly blocked off. As of yesterday, the asphalt was completely torn up into huge chunks on both streets and some at the south end had already been scraped up and hauled away. It looks as if they are prepared to work fast. All of the businesses on Calle 13 will be hurting till it's done. Some appeared closed late afternoon yesterday. Street parking is available on side streets coming onto Calle 13 on the west side and the next west parallel street to Calle 13. If you need to get to the end of Calle 13, the Pinacate and Del Sol hotel, you can take the street just past the boatyards all the way to the end then make a right (Near Balboas). Calle 13 is open from that point to the end at the Pinacate. Alternatively if you came in on the newly paved street from Sandy Beach you would turn right onto Calle 13. I would think they will be doing the sidewalks as well but not sure about that. I think I read they intend to do concrete, not asphalt. Hope they do a good base course and compact well, as that's critical in this soil. Those slabs will be floating and moving up and down, jus tlike up in Sonoita.

Roberto

I have heard that they will put the utilities underground on Calle 13 as well as the paving. Today there are several backhoes excavating in several points on the street. The street parallel to Calle 13 towards the port (Calle 12) has been stripped down to the sand an is open to traffic. Maybe the plastic tape barrier blew away!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Calle 13 is (as of Tuesday, 7/23/2013) blocked off from Constitution all the way to the newly paved street to Sandy Beach. The parallel street to the east is similarly blocked off. As of yesterday, the asphalt was completely torn up into huge chunks on both streets and some at the south end had already been scraped up and hauled away. It looks as if they are prepared to work fast.
Could go over there with one of those big speakers on top of your car, park there, and just keep yelling "MUCHO TRABAJO!!! MAS RAPIDO!!" so that they get it done before I come down next week? Thanks!! :rofl:

Roberto

Could go over there with one of those big speakers on top of your car, park there, and just keep yelling "MUCHO TRABAJO!!! MAS RAPIDO!!" so that they get it done before I come down next week? Thanks!! :rofl:
Won't be done by then but you can still get to Gaua Gaua off Calle 12 to help out the local economy !!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
OK, but you can drive right into the parking lot and park right in the front.
I know. But I'm a terrible creature of habit and ALWAYS go the same way everywhere I go in Rocky Point! :cruisin: :whine:
Besides, if I have to come in the back way, I'll have to stop and watch the wrestling match that goes on.
By the way, who is Dry Heat wrestling out back of Gaua Gaua next week anyway? Is there a title on the line?

Roberto

Update
Calles 12 and 13 are all dirt now. Streets are flat with no paving at all. Both have a wide trench dug right down the middle. Yesterday they were 'mudding' the trench, filling it with water to compact the sand. Might be for a new sewer line but no pipe or cables in evidence as of 8/4 Friday.

Roberto

DSCN0483[1].jpgDSCN0484[1].jpgDSCN0485[1].jpgDSCN0486[1].jpg
Photos taken 8-14 Wed. Progress, but slow. Looks like the sewar line has been replaced, there is evidence of utilities going underground and the sidewalks are torn up for replacement with curbs. With Calle 12 work also progressing Semana Santa 2014 should be better. Meanwhile the merchants on Calle 13 are hurting.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"the sidewalks are torn up for replacement with curbs"

Can't tell ya how many times I nearly did a faceplant walking that street at night with a few drinks in me from the uneven curbs and sidewalk. Heck, even a few times while perfectly sober!
:puff:

Roberto

Streets 13 & 12 are still under construction and closed almost all the way. You divert to Calle 14 at the first block on 13. 14 is paved and will take you all the way to the newly paved street to Sandy Beach. Looks as if the underground stuff is done. Flat dirt looks like base coarse. Concrete curbs have been poured. Progress. The final pours of the finished pavement should go fast. At this juncture it's a good area to avoid if you can.

Thanks for the update Roberto. I had seen Calle 13 in July just after work started and then in Septemebr and it looked as if almost no progress had been made. Hopefully the final stages will go more quickly? I still wonder why they didn't wait a few months and do this project during the down season. I imagine this really hurt businesses on that stretch. I went to Guss Tacos on the Friday night of the Mexico holiday weekend and it was empty. Normally it should have been packed with customers.

Roberto

BIG news. Last night about 7 or so over half of the eastern lane of Calle 13 was in concrete and the trucks were rolling in ! At that rate they will be done soon.
Things are still pretty torn up though. Calle 12 is flat dirt but there are piles of base coarse all over.