Can I get in and out without a Passport??

BryAz

My wife and I just went down over the weekend. Neither of us have passports, it was no problem crossing back with only DLs and birth certs. The agent didn't even give me a talking to about not having one.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
The consensus is that you can get back into the USA without a passport?
Homeland Security :confused:

Last edited:

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
I think as long as you have at least a valid US drivers license, they will always let you in.
The reason it is good to have a passport card with the RF chip is to speed up the process. They have you up on the screen before you even get the window.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We are generally not lucky people, so if "WE" ever tried to get back into the US without our passports you can be sure we would be repremanded in some way!
(Unless of course that means we can never leave Mexico . . . :cool: Hmmm!)

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I forgot my purse in Tucson a couple of years ago, we got to the border going into Mexico when I realized I didn't have it. They let me back into the US no problem, so Sorry Southbeacher, but you can get in with out any form of ID. Also, I was born in Germany- US Army Hospital, but I'm not sure they know that when they pull up my data. I just said US citizen (my husband had his passport so that may have helped!).

SteveClark1000

Has anyone RECENTLY tried to cross with only a Birth Certificate and Driver's License? My girlfriend has misplaced her Passport and we have a condo for Valentine's Day Weekend...... I have my Passport Card....

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
I dont know about going thru the usa border but sitting in line up the other day, the usa border guys were asking everyone for passports heading south and were scanning them in a booth.

Landshark

Well Known Member
Has anyone RECENTLY tried to cross with only a Birth Certificate and Driver's License? My girlfriend has misplaced her Passport and we have a condo for Valentine's Day Weekend...... I have my Passport Card....
Plenty of options to solve this problem. Expedited replacement passports are available in as little as 24 hours. Here is one out of many that offer the service.
http://www.rushmypassport.com

wildtoucan

Well Known Member
you can also show the receipt of passport application at border if you wish to avoid the expedited passport fees. Or do an enhanced DL for land travel...

SteveClark1000

you can also show the receipt of passport application at border if you wish to avoid the expedited passport fees. Or do an enhanced DL for land travel...
Currently only Washington State, Vermont, New York, and Michigan are offering Enhanced Driver's Licenses.

Last edited:

Roberto

Well Known Member
I use a Passport but I think if they were stopping people from returning we would have heard about it. Every report I have gotten you can pass with other ID, birth cert best, Drivers license.

playaperro

El Pirata
If you crossed before your passport is in the system, A d/l should pull you're passport up. Not a big deal....

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The need for a passport to reenter the USA by land is embodied in a legal "initiative" It is the WHTI initiative. Because it is a land crossing it is different from an air or sea entrance to the country. The WHTI initiative does not replace the US constitution which provides it's citizens the right to re-enter the the country of their birth without this document.

14th amendment: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

As long as you can prove you were born in the USA you have the right to reenter the country without a passport. Drivers license - ssn or any other valid proofs of "belonging", as has been said before, they pretty much know who you are before anyone even talks to you.

Regarding ID in the southbound lane. They cannot ask to see your passport. You may use it out of convenience but it is not necessary. A drivers license suffices, I use mine and it is a Mexican DL.

Last edited:

mis2810

Well Known Member
The need for a passport to reenter the USA by land is embodied in a legal "initiative" It is the WHTI initiative. Because it is a land crossing it is different from an air or sea entrance tot he country. The WHTI initiative does not replace the US constitution which provides it's citizens the right to renter the the country of their birth without this document.

14th amendment: All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

As long as you can prove you were born in the USA you have the right to reenter the country without a passport. Drivers license - ssn or any other valid proofs of "belonging", as has been said before, they pretty much know who you are before anyone even talks to you.

Regarding ID in the southbound lane. They cannot ask to see your passport. You may use it out of convenience but it is not necessary. A drivers license suffices, I use mine and it is a Mexican DL.
Russ, they have been asking to see passports when leaving the US lately. Not sure why, or if they are allowed, but I was asked last week - and they scanned it. Not sure what's up with that.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
They are not supposed to ask you for your passport. The USA does not require a passport when exiting the country and Mexico does not currently require one for entry to Mexico by land.

ID is different than passport.

If they ask me for passport I give them my Mex DL.

flicks

Well Known Member
Came across in October with a guy that only had a drivers license . He told them that he haven't got his passport in the mail yet. They never said Boo about it. Just let him thru.

Kenny

Well Known Member
  • U.S. Passport Card
    Why a passport card?
    The U.S. Passport Card (PASS Card) is a less expensive, more portable version of the traditional passport book. As a response to the new security measures imposed by Homeland Security and WHTI, PASS Cards come equipped with a microchip that assigns a distinct number to its owner. This number, through vicinity-read radio frequency technology, matches up with a Custom and Border Protection (CBP) database to promote more secure crossings with faster queuing. The PASS Card is a new form of approved identification targeted at border communities who make frequent crossings. It's wallet-sized, less expensive than the full passport book, and a suitable alternative for anyone who travels by land or sea between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean.

Note: The PASS Card is not approved for air travel. Unlike the passport book, the card is not considered an international travel document recognized worldwide.

Specifics
    • Valid for land and sea crossings only, not air
    • Valid for travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean
    • Valid for 10 years, just like a passport book (five years for minors)
    • Wallet-sized, with a protective sleeve
    How do I apply?
    The first PASS Card was issued in the summer of 2008, and already more than 700,000 applications have been processed.

To get your PASS card if you already have a passport book, just apply for the card as a renewal with Form DS-82.

First-time applicants should apply in person using Form DS-11. Check with the Department of State for your nearest passport application facility.

What does it cost?
    • $55 for first-time applicants ($40 for minors)
    • $30 for renewals from an expiring passport book
    This compares to $110 (plus a $25 execution fee) for a first-time passport book or passport book renewal.