Cleaner beaches

This was probably mentioned by Azbeachboy already...but the reason for the much cleaner beaches along PDO and San Rafael is that a tractor pulling a cleaning "do-hickee" cleans the beach.....scrapes up the bottles, diapers, fireworks, etc. It's been running the last hour or so over here. I believe Chuck mentioned that they do it twice a week....Tues. and Friday mornings.... It used to be land mines after the weekend over here by PDO/San Rafael!!! Don't know if it's the city or PDO doing it.....:thumbsup::gradea::notworthy:

Terry C

A couple of years ago there was an article in the RP times that they were doing this on Sandy Beach also. The guy does this for a part time living. not sure who pays, hoa's ?

The city does some of the public beaches and a company named Jasbo cleans by contract in front of some of the resorts. Of late there's been talk of requiring people with federal zone concessions (beachfront) to keep their beach clean or risk losing the concession. The city would like to qualify for Blue Flag rating, which is supposedly the highest rating that can be given to a beach anywhere in the world. Zofemat is the government (Federal) department that oversees this effort. I guess until recently, Puerta Privada was using Jasbo but has discontinued the service.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
"Of late there's been talk of requiring people with federal zone concessions (beachfront) to keep their beach clean or risk losing the concession."

That's BS. We are next to a public walkway to the beach that everyone uses for a trash bin. Then they leave all their garbage down on the beach thinking the tide will just wash it away. How can they justify holding homeowners responsible for everyone else?

"Of late there's been talk of requiring people with federal zone concessions (beachfront) to keep their beach clean or risk losing the concession."

That's BS. We are next to a public walkway to the beach that everyone uses for a trash bin. Then they leave all their garbage down on the beach thinking the tide will just wash it away. How can they justify holding homeowners responsible for everyone else?
That's a great point, Sheryl. Personally, I don't think it will happen anyway. Florencio Diaz, director of Conagua was here just over a month ago to discuss just this, but it really is just in the beginning stages of discussion.

Just curious, is that a general statement or are you referring to somewhere specific?

ernesto

Almost all of the crap on the beach in Las Conchas is from fishing boats throwing garbage out. Ever fished on a Panga? We used to give Crazy Charlie s***t all the time for throwing wrappers and cans over the side. I have picked up alot of it over the years.

I was just about to post the same thing, Ernesto! It's very rare that I see more than a few bottle caps left by some vacationers/locals, but I'm ALWAYS finding wrappers and whatnot washing up. Hell, there was a used concrete anchor that rolled in just the last time we were on the beach in Las Conchas. Luckily we saw it washed up before the tide came in, talk about a stubbed toe!

On a semi-related note, I haven't seen any stingrays and/or locals catching rays on the shore in a long time. Is there a certain time of the year they close in, have they been "fished-out" or is it just me?

On a semi-related note, I haven't seen any stingrays and/or locals catching rays on the shore in a long time. Is there a certain time of the year they close in, have they been "fished-out" or is it just me?
last week, I went for a swim from the ramp at PDO to Whale Hill and back and saw a bunch of stingrays along the way.... they usually breed in may all along sandy beach... and last month while out at the island they were all over the place...

Haha, I wish! I used to rent out the Huckleberry's old place at least twice a month and have just used various rental companies since. We stayed at Palacio del Mar in Mirador last time, but on a couple of days used the beach in front of an empty lot in Las Conchas for a few hours. Had to experience a REAL beach, ya' know? ;)

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Almost all of the crap on the beach in Las Conchas is from fishing boats throwing garbage out. Ever fished on a Panga? We used to give Crazy Charlie s***t all the time for throwing wrappers and cans over the side. I have picked up alot of it over the years.
We see it first hand. It is not a Mexican, American, homeowner or renter issue...it is a laziness and entitlement issue.

We see it first hand. It is not a Mexican, American, homeowner or renter issue...it is a laziness and entitlement issue.
Yeah, the more I think about it...You're right. I just remembered an incident where a group of sunbathers were leaving behind their empty bottles. "You're coming back to get those, right?," I pointedly asked. They sheepishly went back to collect while complaining "the Mexicans were going to pick them up for deposit money anyway..." Ugh.

I remember finding even disposal diapers on the beach over by Playa Bonita after the Sunday family get togethers.........that was years ago...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, the more I think about it...You're right. I just remembered an incident where a group of sunbathers were leaving behind their empty bottles. "You're coming back to get those, right?," I pointedly asked. They sheepishly went back to collect while complaining "the Mexicans were going to pick them up for deposit money anyway..." Ugh.
More "Ugly Americans'!

I'm so anal I even take a butt can to the beach!

Last edited:
Lady, I hear ya'. Thought of that Roger Clyne lyric re: Ugly Americans as I was writing that. Yeah, butts on the beach, just those in swim suits! ;)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You do know that I am talking about cigarette butts, don't you? LOL! Yes, I still smoke. Yes, I know it's bad for me........