Cockfighting At Manny's Beach Club

playaperro

El Pirata
It's one of a few sports in mexico that there is no judge's and the loser can not be bought, so your odd's of a fair return are good!!!

DeeDee

Manny, does it mean you finally sold Manny's and "they" the new owners have the rights to use "their" place and your name as they see fit? Do not get it. Please explain.

Are you saying that your personal code of ethics do not come into play as long as $$$'s are involved?[/QUOTE
stop trying to be a <WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP><WASH MY MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP> disturber, that is not what he said, "Read, before you write"

R

reportjones

Manny, did you ever rescue that poor dog that lives on the roof of your bar? I see that overgrown rat everytime I sit back at Mannys and enjoy a beer.

DeeDee

Manny, did you ever rescue that poor dog that lives on the roof of your bar? I see that overgrown rat everytime I sit back at Mannys and enjoy a beer.
what is your problem reportjonesnothing, get a life and shut up, you cause nothing but problems, are you ten years old?

R

reportjones

Sorry Dee Dee, but there really was a small dog living on top of Manny's bar. It would walk to the edge and bark for scraps from eating customers. I am not making this up. I am sure others here on this site saw the dog up there at some point.

what is your problem reportjonesnothing, get a life and shut up, you cause nothing but problems, are you ten years old?

Roberto

Sorry Dee Dee, but there really was a small dog living on top of Manny's bar. It would walk to the edge and bark for scraps from eating customers. I am not making this up. I am sure others here on this site saw the dog up there at some point.
So you came to the conclusion that the dog was trapped up there, with no way to get down and that was Manny's fault?

R

reportjones

Never mentioned Manny trapped the dog there. Just wondering if the dog got down. I take it you never saw the dog running around up there?

Jim

Manny Jr. stopped by my office today and we briefly discussed this thread. We both ended up just shaking our heads. He doesn't have anything to do with what goes on at his Dad's place. And, although cock fighting is taboo in the USA, it has a very long tradition here in Mexico. If you don't like it, don't watch it but this is a different country with a different culture. We are guests here and shouldn't try to force our values or opinions on anyone here. And, trying to hurt the reputation of Manny's Beach Club for trying to survive in this difficult economy by catering to what the local people want is just wrong. Like Manny says, If you don't like it, go spend some money there so they don't have to rent the place out.

Kenny

If you don't like it, go spend some money there so they don't have to rent the place out.
This isn't a comment made by a judgment call on Cockfighting, but on how some people feel about it. The way things work in reality is that if they don't like it, they'll stay away and spend their money else where. It's absurd to think they'll (people who thinks it's barbaric, and inhumane) patronize a place that has Cockfighting, in hopes that will help make it go away.

playaperro

El Pirata
This isn't a comment made by a judgment call on Cockfighting, but on how some people feel about it. The way things work in reality is that if they don't like it, they'll stay away and spend their money else where. It's absurd to think they'll (people who thinks it's barbaric, and inhumane) patronize a place that has Cockfighting, in hopes that will help make it go away.
This comment coming from a visitor that has not spent 20 dollars at manny's beach club ever!

jerry

We have a long tradition of Cock fighting in the states(200 years at least) too but bit by bit have driven it underground by making it illegal and more importantly uncool.The same thing will happen in Mexico.The low budget winter visitors are the key to getting Mannys going again like it's 1997.Making it hard to cross the border in the old Airstream with a few toys and some dog treats doesn't help Mannys bottom line.A 3 dollar breakfast special and a buck a beer card (one per night) might get the geezers in the door

If they had strippers in the back room it'd be the same thing, I wouldn't expect families to flock to a business to make the un-family element go away. That's some twisted logic right there. Now, if they completely close the place down and rent it out, then that's their business what goes on, but if it's happening while other customers are there, and these fights are within earshot...

Well, let's just say I haven't said a word to anyone I know that goes down to Penasco about this thread, in hopes that it goes away and I can continue taking them to Manny's without getting into a ethical standoff over boycotting the place. I have several friends that are animal-rights activists, and different country or not, this is Manny's BEACH CLUB. If I was hitting up a bar in town that is a known local watering hole for Mexican nationals, I'd expect a bit of the old world element, but not at one of the most iconic tourist destinations for as long as Americans have been going down to Penasco.

Do what you have to do, and it may help you in the short run, but I wouldn't be running the restaraunt/bar at the same time as these events, because you can kiss goodbye any longtime customer that sees (or even hears rumors) about this kind of stuff going on.

Last edited:

Kenny

Then stfu little hombre...
Looks like Grigozona has the same thought junior, and has expounded on it... Please, just try to answe one question while keeping a civil tongue in your mouth. Was that "dog" on the roof you?
I was wrong about not spending any money at Manny's. I'd patronized Manny's back in the day, and probably helped expand the place with my "donations".

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Looks like Grigozona has the same thought junior, and has expounded on it... Please, just try to answe one question while keeping a civil tongue in your mouth. Was that "dog" on the roof you?
I was wrong about not spending any money at Manny's. I'd patronized Manny's back in the day, and probably helped expand the place with my "donations".
Looks like your computer program can't spell james's name. I like james info on here, his post are very helpful with ?'s are always good,but like jim said it's culture.

Kenny

I thought my statement at the beginning of saying what I though about this deal
"This isn't a comment made by a judgment call on Cockfighting, but on how some people feel about it"
made it clear that I was talking about how this would effect business, and to expect people to patronize the place to help stop Cockfighting was not a viable idea.
Jim who I consider a friend of mine has always conducted himself in a adult manner (sometimes I miss Javelina) and above board on this forum, and more than once in private conversations I've expressed that thought to him. I don't believe he thought, and I certainly wasn't, attacking him or his thoughts about Cockfighting, though I personally I find it a barbaric "sport", and in the same boat as dog fighting.