Cockfighting At Manny's Beach Club

thanks wahoo, for Economics minus 100 ! I'm not sure about other folks, but i note you hope to prosper again. is prosper a verb, or an adjective for a medical condition?

Kenny

thanks wahoo, for Economics minus 100 ! I'm not sure about other folks, but i note you hope to prosper again. is prosper a verb, or an adjective for a medical condition?
I thought after thinking about it for one split second, and then remembering all your cheerful posts on here since May of last year, a trip down memory lane would be fun.

The long term solution in other countries that have this same pestilence is to set a trap for the sub- human varmints who have no respect for everything owned by another person. Ideally the trap would inflict some long term pain and he then crawled into public view and onto the front page of the local papers. These animals know most foreigners don't have their trusty .38's at hand, which only fuels their disrespect for everything they don't own.
I personally saw it in action this afternoon, in the bar at the east end. It is disgusting. However, for a culture that still gets joyfully excited watching bullfights and lops heads off humans on a regular basis, it's not surprising. The next thing we will learn is they are into cannibalism. Is there such a thing as a 4th world country?
There's been plenty more insights from 1996... There seems to be a tone to most of your post's, that makes folks just want to reach out to you....:moon:

Last edited:
I have to agree with mis2810. I stopped going to Manny's because of the wantabe gangster punks. Fifty year old men dirty dancing with 15 year old girls and the fights. I will go back now. Anything was an improvement over how it had gotten to be. Not to mention the swell chicken deals on Monday. Good planning for Monday nigh football.

jerry

Ms2810 i think I know who to turn to to save the wreck of the SS Manny.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/kitchen-nightmares/ We write to gordon Ramsey and get the BBC to do a Kitchen Nightmares show down in Rocky Point.
Maybe turn to Architectural Students from the Uof A or a Sonoran University to work on a redesign as a class project if Gordon is busy.
My ideas :
go late 60's retro american vw surfervan meets retro Airstream look meets young vibrant mexico../open air sitting areas with rattan couches.firepits,sea food,,to stay or to go(like Ivars takeout in Pike Street market area) outdoor oven making personal pizzas,,,,,but seafood and breakfast are the key....tie in a deal with Canadian rvers to arrange places to stay with meals from mannys as part of the park package...hey Manny jr. seems way sharper than the average young wheeler-dealer (a complement) he could really get this thing cooking again...
I know it doesn't mean much, but here's my opinion about Manny's in general (not about Manny or his son personally). I only started going to RP regularly in 2003, other than once in April of '97 - so by your standards, I'm obviously a newbie. But I remember hearing about Manny's and JJ's for years and how fun they were. The people I went down to RP with in June of 2003 took me to Manny's for dinner on a Saturday night. It was loaded with drunk 20-something, white, gang-banger wanna-bees and various other white trash of the toothless variety. Trust me, I'm not saying I'm the Queen of England, and I love me a good dive bar anytime, but this place was gross. Needless to say I never went back.

Lots of bars go in and out of style. Manny's probably needs a good facelift and a complete personality/PR makeover. Not enough gringos to keep it in business? Then revamp it for a place where the local "fresa" crowd can go on the weekends. No need to try to relive its past heyday. Nothing ever stays the same and you can't go back.

Just my two centavos.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
unfortunately the destiny of Manny's as well as many other bar/restaurant business in the Avenida Matamoros was written when 3 or so of the RVers parks got closed thanks to mostly american greed and now they sit empty collecting garbage, I think that before we call it what USA people think they should call it, wait lets not forget our canadian buddies eh!! like 1996, we should leave the culture and society of Mexico out of our bitching since we are the ones visiting and we should embrace it for what it is and not for what some foreigners want it to be!!!

mis2810

You should charge a commission to Manny for your ideas. Ideas like this are probably the only way to save this place. I don't remember any decor, so to speak, other than chain link fencing.

QUOTE=jerry;48087]Ms2810 i think I know who to turn to to save the wreck of the SS Manny.
http://www.bbcamerica.com/kitchen-nightmares/ We write to gordon Ramsey and get the BBC to do a Kitchen Nightmares show down in Rocky Point.
Maybe turn to Architectural Students from the Uof A or a Sonoran University to work on a redesign as a class project if Gordon is busy.
My ideas :
go late 60's retro american vw surfervan meets retro Airstream look
meets young vibrant mexico../open air sitting areas with rattan couches.firepits,sea food,,to stay or to go(like Ivars takeout in Pike Street market area) outdoor oven making personal pizzas,,,,,but seafood and breakfast are the key....tie in a deal with Canadian rvers to arrange places to stay with meals from mannys as part of the park package...hey Manny jr. seems way sharper than the average young wheeler-dealer (a complement) he could really get this thing cooking again...[/QUOTE]

playaperro

El Pirata
Time to let go and move on, our little fishing village with a drinking problem is in fact a little fishing village with a drinking problem again! Heard that the main event
for the next cockfight is a famous Rooster that goes by the name of HAPPY vs Rockyptjoe!

mis2810

Beautiful and inspiring story. But it shouldn't have to end with cockfighting. Whomever is in charge of Manny's Beach Club today should find inspiration in Manny's original strength and determination to find a way to revive what was obviously once a warm and inviting place to eat, drink, and socialize. Cockfighting may be acceptable in Mexico, and yes, when we visit we are just that - visitors. But, my opinion (my opinion! - please respect my opinion as I would respect yours) is that having cockfighting just to make a few $$ is extremely short-sighted. Once the gringos get wind of this most of them will stay away. The ones who don't stay away are the kind that you wouldn't want as patrons anyway. A long term solution would be renovation and re-branding the Beach Club idea based on Manny's original dream and concept.

cholla

Beautiful and inspiring story. But it shouldn't have to end with cockfighting. Whomever is in charge of Manny's Beach Club today should find inspiration in Manny's original strength and determination to find a way to revive what was obviously once a warm and inviting place to eat, drink, and socialize. Cockfighting may be acceptable in Mexico, and yes, when we visit we are just that - visitors. But, my opinion (my opinion! - please respect my opinion as I would respect yours) is that having cockfighting just to make a few $$ is extremely short-sighted. Once the gringos get wind of this most of them will stay away. The ones who don't stay away are the kind that you wouldn't want as patrons anyway. A long term solution would be renovation and re-branding the Beach Club idea based on Manny's original dream and concept.
That would require the same economic conditions that applied at that time, Todays reality is that the americans are just not there spending money and the mexicans are. You sell the product that your customers want or you fail, simple as that. I am over simplifying a bit, but you get the point.

mis2810

That would require the same economic conditions that applied at that time, Todays reality is that the americans are just not there spending money and the mexicans are. You sell the product that your customers want or you fail, simple as that. I am over simplifying a bit, but you get the point.
Who says it has to be for Americans only? There are a lot of locals that spend money. Just go to Elixir on a Saturday night and you'll be shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar trying to get a drink that isn't cheap by RP standards. They need to turn it into a place that has the "cabana" feel to it. Hire a decent DJ. The fresa crowd in Rocky Point would flock to a semi-upscale "Beach Club". That's what people want now and will pay for. Not hanging out with drunk, toothless gang-bangers from Chandler. Also, it doesn't have to have the 50+ gringo clientele either in order to be a success.

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Man those baby boomer's knew how to enjoy life, now with most of them suffering insomnia, hypertension, vertigo, ed, for starters, those were great times for them.

anyway maybe the little click can keep this night club Elixir open one night a week, but try doing it everyday. I wish Manny the best and congrat him for what he has
done for penasco.

Who says it has to be for Americans only? There are a lot of locals that spend money. Just go to Elixir on a Saturday night and you'll be shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar trying to get a drink that isn't cheap by RP standards. They need to turn it into a place that has the "cabana" feel to it. Hire a decent DJ. The fresa crowd in Rocky Point would flock to a semi-upscale "Beach Club". That's what people want now and will pay for. Not hanging out with drunk, toothless gang-bangers from Chandler. Also, it doesn't have to have the 50+ gringo clientele either in order to be a success.
I have to go with the dawg on this one....Elixir is shoulder-to-shoulder on one night....I don't believe it is open the rest of the week....and sorry, I don't consider it an upscale place...unless you want to stand or sit around shoulder to shoulder with almost no room to move....and want to pay US prices for the drinks!

mis2810

I have to go with the dawg on this one....Elixir is shoulder-to-shoulder on one night....I don't believe it is open the rest of the week....and sorry, I don't consider it an upscale place...unless you want to stand or sit around shoulder to shoulder with almost no room to move....and want to pay US prices for the drinks!
Nobody said Elixir is there to cater to you. There are other people that live in and visit RP. What about all the Mexican Nationals that are most of the tourists now anyway. Who would they rather hang out with - a bunch of old gringos that want to listen to nothing but '80s rock music - trying to relive their past?

Manny's wouldn't be open only one night a week. Open your mind - Elixir is making money the one night a week that they ARE open. Manny's would be open all day and night. What do you think the young and hip crowd does in other beach cities? They go to beach clubs like Nikki's in South Beach to hang out and be seen, drink, and dance. They spend money. Look at the hotels with all the upscale pool parties in Vegas.

You need to get out more often. The younger crowd likes to hang out in crowded places - not only does it seem "cooler", but there's a bigger selection for single people.

Also, you made my point for me about the drink prices. Try to look at this from the bar owner's point of view - not as the customer. There ARE people paying US drink prices at Elixir, so why not give them somewhere else to spend their money? Obviously they're willing to pay? I wasn't asking if you were willing to pay those prices.

Nobody said Elixir is there to cater to you. There are other people that live in and visit RP. What about all the Mexican Nationals that are most of the tourists now anyway. Who would they rather hang out with - a bunch of old gringos that want to listen to nothing but '80s rock music - trying to relive their past?

Manny's wouldn't be open only one night a week. Open your mind - Elixir is making money the one night a week that they ARE open. Manny's would be open all day and night. What do you think the young and hip crowd does in other beach cities? They go to beach clubs like Nikki's in South Beach to hang out and be seen, drink, and dance. They spend money. Look at the hotels with all the upscale pool parties in Vegas.

You need to get out more often. The younger crowd likes to hang out in crowded places - not only does it seem "cooler", but there's a bigger selection for single people.

Also, you made my point for me about the drink prices. Try to look at this from the bar owner's point of view - not as the customer. There ARE people paying US drink prices at Elixir, so why not give them somewhere else to spend their money? Obviously they're willing to pay? I wasn't asking if you were willing to pay those prices.
You sure do have a very low opinion of many of the Americans who do visit Penasco...and have been doing so for many years.....a little snobbish, are we??...actually very insulting in your comments...if I want to "experience" the Vegas or South Beach night life...I'll visit those places...not come to Penasco. To each his own! I have no need to stroke my ego and "be seen"!

Maybe you should also hang out in Penasco when the "Mexican tourists" visit and see how much money they do spend there...and where they spend it.....definitely not at the Elixirs, etc.!!!

BTW...how do you know that Elixir is making money being open one night a week? Do you know the ownership and what their interests are? Just asking! :stir:

Have you noticed how many drinks the locals buy at places like that? They tend to buy one drink...and nurse it forever....if they want to booze it up...they head out to their vehicles and get some "top off" from there!!! When I go out drinking...I tend to be a people watcher....the things you can learn that way!

mis2810

You sure do have a very low opinion of many of the Americans who do visit Penasco...and have been doing so for many years.....a little snobbish, are we??...actually very insulting in your comments...if I want to "experience" the Vegas or South Beach night life...I'll visit those places...not come to Penasco. To each his own! I have no need to stroke my ego and "be seen"!

Maybe you should also hang out in Penasco when the "Mexican tourists" visit and see how much money they do spend there...and where they spend it.....definitely not at the Elixirs, etc.!!!

BTW...how do you know that Elixir is making money being open one night a week? Do you know the ownership and what their interests are? Just asking! :stir:

Have you noticed how many drinks the locals buy at places like that? They tend to buy one drink...and nurse it forever....if they want to booze it up...they head out to their vehicles and get some "top off" from there!!! When I go out drinking...I tend to be a people watcher....the things you can learn that way!
You just don't "listen" do you. I never said that I go to these places. We're talking about making money. I don't need to be seen. I sit on the beach all day long and then I'm hanging out at night watching movies usually asleep by 10:00. We're talking about what sells and what makes money and what people want now. Not what you or I want personally.

All I'm saying is that Manny's should be changing with the times - not trying to stick to a failing business model. You're obviously taking this personally. You may not want to visit places like South Beach or Vegas, but there are people who enjoy that type of place in RP - I didn't say that I was one of them, but I'm also not still listening to '80's rock.

As for Elixir - I've been there 3 times since 2008. You have to wait in line at the bar to even get a drink. If nobody is buying drinks, then what are they lined up 3-4 deep at the bar for - to ask for a napkin?????

Kenny

You just don't "listen" do you. I never said that I go to these places. We're talking about making money. I don't need to be seen. I sit on the beach all day long and then I'm hanging out at night watching movies usually asleep by 10:00. We're talking about what sells and what makes money and what people want now. Not what you or I want personally.

All I'm saying is that Manny's should be changing with the times - not trying to stick to a failing business model. You're obviously taking this personally. You may not want to visit places like South Beach or Vegas, but there are people who enjoy that type of place in RP - I didn't say that I was one of them, but I'm also not still listening to '80's rock.

As for Elixir - I've been there 3 times since 2008. You have to wait in line at the bar to even get a drink. If nobody is buying drinks, then what are they lined up 3-4 deep at the bar for - to ask for a napkin?????
Lets see if I have this right.... Joe lives in the past while listening to 80's rock, and you're living in a fantasy world, while watching the silver screen.