Cockfighting At Manny's Beach Club

Jim

I didn't say that I approved of it. I just wanted to make a comment about my conversation with Manny Jr. today. And, I am more than a little bothered about people in general telling Mexicans how they should live in their own Country. (Not specifically referring to cock fighting). Thanks for the positive reinforcement Kenny.

I don't think cockfighting will go away anytime soon in Mexico. It is their culture. As mentioned above, it is not fair to come into their country and ask them how to run it. It also wouldn't be fair to bring their "sport" into the USA, but that's another thread.
I do, however, don't like the manipulative response from Manny's. "Go spend money, or we'll continue to do this."
I agree with, "if you don't like it, go elsewhere", but the "or else" comment felt wrong. As if blaming the customer for what is going on.
This is from a point of view of someone not familiar with Manny's or any of you. So I'm not taking "sides", just commenting on the negative feel of Manny's post.

I don't think cockfighting will go away anytime soon in Mexico. It is their culture. As mentioned above, it is not fair to come into their country and ask them how to run it. It also wouldn't be fair to bring their "sport" into the USA, but that's another thread.
I do, however, don't like the manipulative response from Manny's. "Go spend money, or we'll continue to do this."
I agree with, "if you don't like it, go elsewhere", but the "or else" comment felt wrong. As if blaming the customer for what is going on.
This is from a point of view of someone not familiar with Manny's or any of you. So I'm not taking "sides", just commenting on the negative feel of Manny's post.
A little off topic....although I agree with the comment, that hasn't stopped Mexico (and it's representatives) from coming into our country (and Arizona) and trying to tell us how to run it!:stir::stir::stir:

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
The law in many countries allows for the abuse of children, women, ethnic groups and many other helpless (from physical abuse to sexual abuse to killing). I guess we should all just turn away and focus only on the problems within our country, right? I guess abuse of such ones is someone else's problem. If tourists would just buy the breakfast burrito or taco plate such activities would go away.

R

reportjones

Lets get back to the topic here.....is the dog off the roof?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
I think it is common to have dogs on a roof in Mexico. I saw it frequently in Guadalajara when I went to the town of Tequila. I remember being caught off guard walking down the street at night and all of a sudden a dog barking down on me.

I wonder what the deal is with that. The neighbor next door to where we stay in PP, sometimes puts his dog on the roof.

Manny Sanchez

Vir sapit qui pauca loqui
I wonder what the deal is with that. The neighbor next door to where we stay in PP, sometimes puts his dog on the roof.
Pigeons.
People really hate pigeon droppings and them nesting. As a consequence, people put their dogs in the roof.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
R E S P E C T, is all you want for yourself, why would you have to forget about giving it to others specially when you are in their country and if you spend more than 35% of your time in their country you better start A D A P T I N G, because in life there are only TWO thing that are sure for anybody and every being in this universe CHANGE and DEATH!!

Manny Sanchez

Vir sapit qui pauca loqui
Thank you Wahoo for your ideas.

I believe my dad has already a ring for boxing and a place for mud wrestling, it has have been active for a few weeks now.
Also that ugly fence is no longer there.

I will pass on your comments to my dad.
And to all the forum, I invite you to swing by the Tequila Factory for a tequila shot. I think I need one :)

Roberto

Wahoo Sez: "I still come by every time, but since it is usually on weekdays during the day, usually it is just an empty hall and I just shake my head in sadness of what you have done to that place...."

That's a pretty much uncalled for inaccurate statement. It's an empty hall because there are very few customers, everywhere. Changes they have made in operation reflect that not the obverse.

Wahoo SEZ: What struck as un acceptable was Manny's comment of "if you do not like it spend some money at my place so I do not have to look for other ways to make some money".....

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of words, but I think your interpretation does not reflect the intent of his statement. My take was that he was saying their typical clientel were not coming there and they were making choices to keep the business alive . Mannys is not the only place that has had to make adjustments to survive.

Wahoo Sez: Just like Rockypoint it has a personality problem, is it Mexican or a Arizona's beach town Is Manny's for Americans pricing all in Dollars or do you cater to locals and use Mexican pesos? You can not do both well....

How is that a personality problem. One would think that Americans come to Mexico to enjoy the culture and differences from home, not change things here to suit US tastes. You are obviously out of touch with business in Perto Penasco Mexico. It is becoming more and more a Mexican vacation destination and those business that provide what the Mexican culture seeks will do OK. It also sounds like you are saying you don' t want to shop at places that price in Pesos or that maybe you'd prefer the Mexicans not come here.

You have made it clear what you think of cock fighting, why not keep your comments to that subject. It's a very emotional issue for some and it seems to me that it has colored your thinking about a broader subject.

R

reportjones

Some of the best times I have ever had in Rocky Point occurred at Manny's back in the late 90's. I loved the inground beer gardens. I still love the Combo Plate and eat there everytime I come down. I may go for dinner this weekend.

every third sunday...or weekend... so NO visiting GRINGO has to SEE, HEAR, or SMELL, the blood....they hope for a northerly or easterly wind

Thank you Wahoo for your ideas.

I believe my dad has already a ring for boxing and a place for mud wrestling, it has have been active for a few weeks now.
Also that ugly fence is no longer there.

I will pass on your comments to my dad.
And to all the forum, I invite you to swing by the Tequila Factory for a tequila shot. I think I need one :)
Uhm... Manny do you have virgin tequila at the Tequila Factory for those of us that don't do alcohol..? If ya do I'm there man... I'll match shots for shots with anyone... 8^)

mis2810

I know it doesn't mean much, but here's my opinion about Manny's in general (not about Manny or his son personally). I only started going to RP regularly in 2003, other than once in April of '97 - so by your standards, I'm obviously a newbie. But I remember hearing about Manny's and JJ's for years and how fun they were. The people I went down to RP with in June of 2003 took me to Manny's for dinner on a Saturday night. It was loaded with drunk 20-something, white, gang-banger wanna-bees and various other white trash of the toothless variety. Trust me, I'm not saying I'm the Queen of England, and I love me a good dive bar anytime, but this place was gross. Needless to say I never went back.

Lots of bars go in and out of style. Manny's probably needs a good facelift and a complete personality/PR makeover. Not enough gringos to keep it in business? Then revamp it for a place where the local "fresa" crowd can go on the weekends. No need to try to relive its past heyday. Nothing ever stays the same and you can't go back.

Just my two centavos.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
LOL Melissa! Did i tell you my toothless man story from Manny's? A few on here know it..... If not, I'll tell you sometime. It was hilarious!!!!!