Cockfighting At Manny's Beach Club

mis2810

Lets see if I have this right.... Joe lives in the past while listening to 80's rock, and you're living in a fantasy world, while watching the silver screen.
Jeez, there's no reasoning with you people. You guys just want to be sarcastic, bitter, and complain all the time about how things used to be and not look ahead. Good luck with that.

You just don't "listen" do you. I never said that I go to these places. We're talking about making money. I don't need to be seen. I sit on the beach all day long and then I'm hanging out at night watching movies usually asleep by 10:00. We're talking about what sells and what makes money and what people want now. Not what you or I want personally.

All I'm saying is that Manny's should be changing with the times - not trying to stick to a failing business model. You're obviously taking this personally. You may not want to visit places like South Beach or Vegas, but there are people who enjoy that type of place in RP - I didn't say that I was one of them, but I'm also not still listening to '80's rock.

As for Elixir - I've been there 3 times since 2008. You have to wait in line at the bar to even get a drink. If nobody is buying drinks, then what are they lined up 3-4 deep at the bar for - to ask for a napkin?????
If it's anything that I took personally it is your GENERALIZATION of the gringos who used to, or still do go to Penasco and also to Manny's! And what's wrong with 80's rock? It may not be my taste in music....but at least it is music!!!:moon:

You should read my sig....I think that it applies here....on opinions....that is, and your take on business models that do or don't work in Penasco!

If there are people several deep trying to buy drinks at Elixir....they're not drinking! Maybe the bartenders are super slow? I don't ever recall seeing people 3 deep at Mannys during the craziest spring breaks waiting to get served! Whatever happened to the "other" upscale "for the locals" place in the Mirador area....BUMAYE? Is it still open? And if so, how often? I believe it followed "your" business model years ago!

Lets see if I have this right.... Joe lives in the past while listening to 80's rock, and you're living in a fantasy world, while watching the silver screen.
Sorry Kenny...you got that wrong...I can tolerate 80's rock (not like some other people posting) :stir:...but I enjoy country!

Jeez, there's no reasoning with you people. You guys just want to be sarcastic, bitter, and complain all the time about how things used to be and not look ahead. Good luck with that.
Again..."opinions" are coming into play...from someone who characterizes oneself as a person who's in bed by 10....obviously you spend a lot of time in the local establishments (Penasco)!

mis2810

If it's anything that I took personally it is your GENERALIZATION of the gringos who used to, or still do go to Penasco and also to Manny's! And what's wrong with 80's rock? It may not be my taste in music....but at least it is music!!!:moon:

You should read my sig....I think that it applies here....on opinions....that is, and your take on business models that do or don't work in Penasco!

If there are people several deep trying to buy drinks at Elixir....they're not drinking! Maybe the bartenders are super slow? I don't ever recall seeing people 3 deep at Mannys during the craziest spring breaks waiting to get served! Whatever happened to the "other" upscale "for the locals" place in the Mirador area....BUMAYE? Is it still open? And if so, how often? I believe it followed "your" business model years ago!
Uh huh . . . yeah, the bartenders are slow. So if you know so much about Elixir I guess you're hanging out there?

mis2810

Again..."opinions" are coming into play...from someone who characterizes oneself as a person who's in bed by 10....obviously you spend a lot of time in the local establishments (Penasco)!
I already told you - I've been to Elixir 3 times. Went to the BooBar last time I was there. If you're into the oldies music at BooBar then fine - that's not my thing. I don't have to like what you like, just like you don't have to like what other people enjoy.

Uh huh . . . yeah, the bartenders are slow. So if you know so much about Elixir I guess you're hanging out there?
Please don't "ass"ume that you know me...or my likes or dislikes.....

Also don't throw your "opinions" on business models that may or may not work in Penasco as being "gospel" and putting down those who may disagree with you!

I already told you - I've been to Elixir 3 times. Went to the BooBar last time I was there. If you're into the oldies music at BooBar then fine - that's not my thing. I don't have to like what you like, just like you don't have to like what other people enjoy.

Oldies music?....I'll have to mention that to Jose the next time I'm down....but if that's oldies to you, what are you doing in bed by 10pm, you young whipper snapper??? Maybe you should move to Sun City!:rofl::stir:

mis2810

Please don't "ass"ume that you know me...or my likes or dislikes.....

Also don't throw your "opinions" on business models that may or may not work in Penasco as being "gospel" and putting down those who may disagree with you!
You're just crazy - who said anything about my opinions being "gospel". Trying something new sure beats doing the same old thing that's not working and looking for a different results.

mis2810

You're just crazy - who said anything about my opinions being "gospel". Trying something new sure beats doing the same old thing that's not working and looking for a different results.
Wow, I'm impressed that you know "Jose". Yeah, Van Morrison is oldies music. Not everybody wants to hear that. That's why it would be nice if there were some diversity in RP nightlife.

You just keep on arguing - that's all you guys do on this board no matter what the subject happens to be. Anybody with a new idea comes along and you guys do nothing but trash talk everybody. Real productive. Like I said before - good luck with that Mr. McBitterson.

Wow, I'm impressed that you know "Jose". Yeah, Van Morrison is oldies music. Not everybody wants to hear that. That's why it would be nice if there were some diversity in RP nightlife.

You just keep on arguing - that's all you guys do on this board no matter what the subject happens to be. Anybody with a new idea comes along and you guys do nothing but trash talk everybody. Real productive. Like I said before - good luck with that Mr. McBitterson.
Nothing to be impressed about...I've known Jose for several years...from when he was bartending at the old Margaritavilla...also a place that was probably not "cool" enough for you! Definitely not South Beach or Vegas style!

And when it comes to "arguing"...which are you? the kettle or the pot?

OK You two... don't make me come over there... or you are going to be sent to your rooms without dinner and grounded for a week...

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree about Manny's during their heyday, as there were plenty of nights where it took more than 10 or 15 minutes to get a drink, though it felt like 30! Even long lines getting into the men's room. Of course this was past midnight, but you couldn't even park within a mile of the Mirador strip.

Everyone is making good points, but the real key to a successful club/bar is to have different theme nights in order to survive. One of the most successful, longest-standing clubs in Tucson, Club Congress, is a perfect example. '80s Nights on Mondays for almost 20 years, modern dance DJs on Saturday's (BANG!BANG!), anything goes on Thursdays (the funky, hip Optimist Club, going on 6+ years) and live music on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, or more if it involves a traveling act. Sundays are Karaoke, which some of us hate, but hey--there's always a Karaoke crowd. Not saying any of these nights would work in Penasco--or Manny's, for that matter--but you can't please everyone every night. Mix it up. Speaking specifically about Manny's, one could do several reoccurring nightly themes and still keep the Beach Club flavor. Look at how nice The Reef's remodel turned out! (And can anyone chime in on whether that does any business with the local fresas?)

That said, I don't blame most businesses down there closing down early (or for the whole day) mid-week, especially during non-peak months.

Last edited:

cholla

I submit to you that Mannys IS looking ahead with the cock fighting thing. May not be the future that YOU see for them, though.

cholla

You just don't "listen" do you. I never said that I go to these places. We're talking about making money. I don't need to be seen. I sit on the beach all day long and then I'm hanging out at night watching movies usually asleep by 10:00. We're talking about what sells and what makes money and what people want now. Not what you or I want personally.

All I'm saying is that Manny's should be changing with the times - not trying to stick to a failing business model. You're obviously taking this personally. You may not want to visit places like South Beach or Vegas, but there are people who enjoy that type of place in RP - I didn't say that I was one of them, but I'm also not still listening to '80's rock.

As for Elixir - I've been there 3 times since 2008. You have to wait in line at the bar to even get a drink. If nobody is buying drinks, then what are they lined up 3-4 deep at the bar for - to ask for a napkin?????
What do you think is happening? They are changing, just not in the way you prefer them to.

cholla

And so, we have reached the end of your arguments, so now we go to the insults.