Cruise on the Wild Side

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I think Penasco has been moving toward a Mexican market for several years. Compare favored activities of the US and the Mexican folk and you can probably pretty much predict who might survive. Dying: sit down restaurants, sit down bars, Low capacity luxury rental accomodations, most real estate !! Stable/moving up: ATV rentals, Harbor cruises, Beer and Ice sales, Economical rental accomodations, Taco Stands, Straw cowboy hat sales, gasoline for crusing.
Speaking of beer and ice Roberto, my accountant also owns the ice company that sells Reyna Brand Ice In 2006 he showed me he sold over 300,000 bags of ice this year he says he wont break 100,000 bags and he is also in trouble.

Very sad to hear about Balboa's. Had some great meals and Margs there, but to be honest, completely forgot about it, outside of rushing by on our way to a cruise, trying to make the cutoff. So easy to forget about those little spots once you get set in a routine.

mis2810

I think Penasco has been moving toward a Mexican market for several years. Compare favored activities of the US and the Mexican folk and you can probably pretty much predict who might survive. Dying: sit down restaurants, sit down bars, Low capacity luxury rental accomodations, most real estate !! Stable/moving up: ATV rentals, Harbor cruises, Beer and Ice sales, Economical rental accomodations, Taco Stands, Straw cowboy hat sales, gasoline for crusing.
I wouldn't consider Las Palomas an economical rental accomodation and it was LOADED with Mexican families while we were there from June 30th through July 7th.

I wouldn't consider Las Palomas an economical rental accomodation and it was LOADED with Mexican families while we were there from June 30th through July 7th.
No, but when you pile in 8-10 people, including kids....in a 2 BR condo...it is economical, since they have a large frig and can cook their meals there.

Roberto

Isn't there another restaurant in the place where Portofino's was?
This topic can be confusing. There are two 'Old Portifino's' locations. The old, old one is at the bottom of the hill as you enter the Malecon. Directly in front before you have to turn. AS of 2 days ago no one was in that location although the Yacking Parrot or something like that was rumored to be moving in some time ago. The location of the 'old' and last one is on the right had side before you start down the hill to the Malecon. The first place on the right as you enter the commercial area, approximately across from Pasada La Roca. Yes both are no longer in existance. The last Portifino's location is now No Solo Agua and still offers some stuff from the old Portifino's as the kitchen staff are the same. The current operators intent is to attract more locals and Mexican tourists. The huge open patio overlooking the harbor is a draw.

mis2810

No, but when you pile in 8-10 people, including kids....in a 2 BR condo...it is economical, since they have a large frig and can cook their meals there.
There is a limit on the amount of people in each unit. Even in a 3 bedroom the max would probably be 10 with a pull out couch. Each person needs a bracelet to be on the property and believe me, the security guards are bracelet NAZIS.

A 3-bedroom rental at Las Palomas is going for $245 USD/night. That's not cheap by US standards, let alone Mexican standards.

Very good point. For example, when I take last-minute trips and stay at El Mirador Village, a less expensive hotel that's actually on the beach, I feel so lazy to be eating every meal out when I see all the Mexican National families cooking all day and night at the grills out there, not to mention the other random portable grills you'll see here and there on Sandy Beach, etc. I'd add grocery and big-box (big for Penasco) stores to that list.

The one time I ate there (the OLD old place) with my daughter....the service was super slow, and I wasn't impressed by the food....maybe it was going downhill at the time....the newer place when it opened was excellent, but a bit pricey.

Roberto

Speaking of beer and ice Roberto, my accountant also owns the ice company that sells Reyna Brand Ice In 2006 he showed me he sold over 300,000 bags of ice this year he says he wont break 100,000 bags and he is also in trouble.
OK, I take ice off the list !!!! What would you put on such a list ?? I have one idea for a business that I think has a 90% chance of being successful, appealing to locals and tourists. Think we talked about it some time ago.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
OK, I take ice off the list !!!! What would you put on such a list ?? I have one idea for a business that I think has a 90% chance of being successful, appealing to locals and tourists. Think we talked about it some time ago.
yea, I remember. It would do good.