Directions to the Airport

mis2810

Need to go see the Aduana at the airport tomorrow. Need to send a box by Estafeta and they won't let us ship it until it has the customs seal on it.

We've never been out there and I'm not sure how to get there. We're already in town, so is it easier to take Fremont to the Caborca Highway, or does it make any sense at all to go back up to the turn off on 8? Then think that we take 37 to the Mayan Palace? Is the airport before or after the Mayan Palace? Anything else to do out there? Where's the oyster farm I've seen you guys talk about?

Thanks.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Depending on where you are i town it usually makes sense to take Fremont to Caborca highway. Just stay on the highway for 15-20 minutes then you start seeing signs for both the airport and Mayan. The Mayan entrance is exactly across the highway from the Airport entrance. Almost impossible to miss.

Oysters......on the way out about 10-13 clicks past the Las Conchas turnoff you will see a sign that say Oysters, then in 1 km more you will see a sign for "el Barco" this is a full service spot with oysters sodas waters and beer, Stop there on you way back for a quick relief. It is about 4 miles off the paved road but always passable in my 15 passenger van so I say no problem unless it snows!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Call me a traditionalist (I was raised on Chesapeake Bay oysters) but... the rule of thumb was always "Don't eat oysters in any month without an 'R' in it."

That would be May, June July and August. I'm not sure of the origins of this, but it is a myth indeed as old as the hills. I think that, at least back East, it had to do with the higher water temps during those months and toxic algae blooms. Oysters are filter feeders and eating them during those months could make you sick.

Google is your friend:
So far as the United States is concerned, this is not true. Under commercial raising and harvesting conditions, oysters and other shellfish are safe and good to eat any month of the year. Certain European oyster which brood their young in months without an “r” are less palatable at that time of year, but this rule doesn’t apply to U.S. oysters, which don’t brood their young. As a contradiction to the myth about “r” months, shellfish containing a paralytic shellfish poison are occasionally found along the Pacific Coast in “r” months. When this occurs, people are warned against gathering and eating these particular shellfish. The California Department of Health places a quarantine on the harvesting of mussels between May1 and October 31; and along the Oregon Coast, people are warned by the news media against gathering and eating the mussels that cling to rocks that rim the beaches. The cardinal rule is that any commercially available shellfish is non-toxic and safe to eat. While Vibrio vulnificus bacteria are more prevalent in warmer months, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a full 40% of cases occur from September through April, again dispelling the idea not to eat oysters in the months without “r”s in them.

Note that it said commercially available in the US, not from an estuary in Mexico. Youse pays your money; youse takes yer chances! In all my years of gobbling up yum-yum everything in Mexico, I'm fortunate that I've only had one really bad bout of food poisoning (and that was from chicken, not seafood). Thought I was gonna die, until the Immodium finally kicked in and gave some relief.

Kind of like the big chocolate clams I've seen offered on the street further south in Mexico. I've had friends open and slurp them on the spot. Sorry... they aren't even cold and I don't know how long they've been sitting there in the sun. Nope, not me. But fresh scallops right out of the water and shell on the beach at Punta Chivato? Oh yeah, I'd slurp down a belly full!
Pass the cocktail sauce, please... :lobster:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Our oysters are not immune from sickness however they are grown in an estuary which is free of contamination so I do not believe that the axiom of the "r" factor has any play for us. These folks would never serve you a faulty oyster. They are very professional people. The oyster farm at El Barco ships 7000-800 oysters a week to restaurants in Sonora.

Call me a traditionalist (I was raised on Chesapeake Bay oysters) but... the rule of thumb was always "Don't eat oysters in any month without an 'R' in it."

That would be May, June July and August. I'm not sure of the origins of this, but it is a myth indeed as old as the hills. I think that, at least back East, it had to do with the higher water temps during those months and toxic algae blooms. Oysters are filter feeders and eating them during those months could make you sick.

Google is your friend:
So far as the United States is concerned, this is not true. Under commercial raising and harvesting conditions, oysters and other shellfish are safe and good to eat any month of the year. Certain European oyster which brood their young in months without an “r” are less palatable at that time of year, but this rule doesn’t apply to U.S. oysters, which don’t brood their young. As a contradiction to the myth about “r” months, shellfish containing a paralytic shellfish poison are occasionally found along the Pacific Coast in “r” months. When this occurs, people are warned against gathering and eating these particular shellfish. The California Department of Health places a quarantine on the harvesting of mussels between May1 and October 31; and along the Oregon Coast, people are warned by the news media against gathering and eating the mussels that cling to rocks that rim the beaches. The cardinal rule is that any commercially available shellfish is non-toxic and safe to eat. While Vibrio vulnificus bacteria are more prevalent in warmer months, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a full 40% of cases occur from September through April, again dispelling the idea not to eat oysters in the months without “r”s in them.

Note that it said commercially available in the US, not from an estuary in Mexico.

Pass the cocktail sauce, please... :lobster:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Russ - I don't doubt their integrity at all. I've been there. Just saying... it's shellfish. And it's the way I was raised with the R thing.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ - I don't doubt their integrity at all. I've been there. Just saying... it's shellfish. And it's the way I was raised with the R thing.
I just wanted to post that out of my shellfishness, I said it just for the halibut and totally on porpoise! Thanks in advance for letting flounder around

Ok enough of the frivolity I have to fix my roof before it rains here.

That is true Stuart... the sea is loaded with bacteria of all sorts and what you said about oysters being filter feeders is exactly why you don't eat them during a month without an "R"... I have a friend that told me they were at the oysteria recently and the oysters had a white substance in them that didn't look very appetizing at all... "could be that they were brooding"

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
That is true Stuart... the sea is loaded with bacteria of all sorts and what you said about oysters being filter feeders is exactly why you don't eat them during a month without an "R"... I have a friend that told me they were at the oysteria recently and the oysters had a white substance in them that didn't look very appetizing at all... [/I]"could be that they were brooding"
Mark, I started to post that they are spawning now, the white substance is something like you would see in the back room at Gua Guas. Nasty looking. I asked what it was and they said the oyster's were spawning. The guy that likes to feels boy's legs would probably enjoy them.

AZ ROB

Mark, I started to post that they are spawning now, the white substance is something like you would see in the back room at Gua Guas. Nasty looking. I asked what it was and they said the oyster's were spawning. The guy that likes to feels boy's legs would probably enjoy them.
That is the last time I eat a burger with mayo while reading the forum...:eek:

Roberto

I always thought the month without an R thing was from back when refrigeration was not readily available and the oysters would spoil quickly in the hot months.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ewwwww!!!!

mis2810

I just wanted to post that out of my shellfishness, I said it just for the halibut and totally on porpoise! Thanks in advance for letting flounder around

Ok enough of the frivolity I have to fix my roof before it rains here.
Now I have a haddock from reading this!

My husband said he heard the "r" thing, too. Needless to say we didn't go - I'm not a shellfish eater, anyway.

BTW, we ate breakfast at La Cita this morning - delicious!!!!! Thanks for the recommendation. We're hoping to get to Padilla's before we go back home too.

Kenny

I finally decided to take a look at this thread to see why in the heck it was taking so long to get to the airport, while wondering what side trip we were on this time. Not bad really, just a little side trip off the Caborca hwy.

The thought of Oysters brooding over their young is heartwarming.
"could be that they were brooding"
[video=youtube;4EwvgO-dhuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EwvgO-dhuA[/video]