Dont,t bring dirt or food into into Mexico

HillBoy

Had a friend fly into new airport last weekend, customs took all his meat and cheese, then looked at is golf clubs and golf shoes said Dirt was not allowed from US, they let him keep his clubs and shoes but took more than 1 hr to get through customs. They say they want or money but every time things start to get better they just shoot themselves in the foot. What happens when they take your turkey away at the border November? Hot Dog man here we come maybe he will have pumpkin pie on the side

garyd

Had a triend tell me he flew into Cancun last year with a cooler filled with food and he got the red light. Guess what? They took his food too.

tortuga

I cook about 130 lbs of corned beef for St Pats. Anyone know where I can get corned beef in Penasco?

what i've been doing lately is not adding actual ice to my cooler until after the border, just using those plastic "ice" frozen packets to keep anything i HAD to bring across that needed to be kept cool prior, then just putting those in plastic grocery bags in between clothes in our duffel bags at Why or just before crossing the border. then i just shove beach-type accessories in the cooler to make it appear as though we only use said cooler for beach-related activities.

as far as turkeys go... damn. i dunno, i guess use the same process and say a few prayers to Mary Guadalupe!

does Super-Ley carry such a bird in mid-November? does that new Walmart "Bodega Aurrera," or has it done so in other cities?

dmcauley

We've been bringing in 50 + birds for x=mas for many years now and never had a problem nor with any other food or dog food, The last time in I had 2 bags of dog food and got the red light. No problem

Rosy posted in another thread that they'll be letting in 3 birds per vehicle for Thanksgiving.

dmcauley...it's just recently that the Mexican agents have been checking for food and confiscating it.

So if I head down(with the camper) and have a fridge full of food for a weekend of camping on the beach or at The Reef, they'll take it from me, if I'm red lighted at the crossing and checked.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
So food works some don't...they were going to take my dry dogfood last time...
Like you said Jerry, they WERE going to take it. Its all in your attitude what they take and dont take. Its like walking around South Phoenix, its all how you carry yourself.

So if I head down(with the camper) and have a fridge full of food for a weekend of camping on the beach or at The Reef, they'll take it from me, if I'm red lighted at the crossing and checked.
The probability is high that they'll take any beef, beef by-product (including dog food), and fruits and vegetables. And getting the green light doesn't mean that you won't get stopped anyway. Plenty of people are getting pulled over for inspection after getting the green light.

playaperro

El Pirata
Smuggling food into Mexico is a crime, If you get caught be ready to pay the mordida, they will gladly take your lunch, dinner. If you feel you can fool them be careful where you hide those T-bones because if they find them in your clothes they will say it is intentional and you will suffer swift consequences.
Personally I always have a twenty under my floor mats.

jerry

Ha...have to admit i used my 3 legged dogs handycap to get his stash across..
Like you said Jerry, they WERE going to take it. Its all in your attitude what they take and dont take. Its like walking around South Phoenix, its all how you carry yourself.

srtoad

I'm confused. We always pack our trailer full of food for the length of our trip. In fact, I'm planning my grocery list for my next trip as we speak. When did taking food INTO Mexico become an issue? Is there a list of prohibited items? Does it matter if the food/meat is frozen or not? From what I'm reading, it would seem that campers, trailers, rv's would be prime targets and always get the red light for inspection.

Roberto

I'm confused. We always pack our trailer full of food for the length of our trip. In fact, I'm planning my grocery list for my next trip as we speak. When did taking food INTO Mexico become an issue? Is there a list of prohibited items? Does it matter if the food/meat is frozen or not? From what I'm reading, it would seem that campers, trailers, rv's would be prime targets and always get the red light for inspection.
This subject has been covered several times recently. Beef and cheese seem to be the big no nos. It is true that Mexico did not enforce the import laws on any items and have recently started to do so more. Their Aduana (Customs) has become much more professional over the years to the benefit of everyone.

For one, I continue to wonder why some go to all the trouble of buying, storing, packing, transporting, unpacking when you can buy all you need right here. You're going on vacation, that's supposed to be fun, adventuresome. Don't be rigid, try something new and different, it will be like you are in a different world. You might discover a new favorite food ! Shop in Penasco, Santa Fe Market, Bodega, Super Ley, local butcher shops (Carnecerias) and more. Many of us think the food is better here, great beef, fresh veggies and of course shrimp, fish, clams, mmmmmm.

GV, help me out here!!

Also the complaining about the danged Mexicans actually enforcing their laws get a little thin too. There are similar restriction on what you can take into the US so what's the big deal. The red light is controlled either by computer or some mechanical device. The Aduana folk can stop anyone they want for inspection, irrespective of the light color. I don't think they 'target' anyone, just doin their job.

Take a vacation from all that work before you get here. Shop in Penasco, meet some great local people, relax and enjoy.

El Gato

I don't think we've ever shopped any place in Penasco where we haven't had a great time - almost always get into a conversation with someone. It is amazing how far one can get along using smiles even if you don't speak the language. Usually you'll get a language lesson thrown in as an added bonus. I've met more people over selecting which potatos look the best, which avacado is perfect, etc. My friend & I had a family insist on loading a heavy bag of dog food in the cart for us.

If you want to see the real Penasco go grocery shopping :)

GV Jack

Snorin God
Boy Roberto, you just can't leave it alone, can you.

Now Mr. SrToad let me tell you how I got over Mexico phobia.

I joined this site this past spring because I had been to RP a number of times but didn't feel I knew anything about the place. I felt the food was dangerous and I packed it to the hilt and brought it down.
After a few weeks on this site, I started to learn that there are some really good things here food wise and restaurant wise. I also learned there are some really good helpfull folks on the forum who will
gladly help you. Excluding Roberto He just spends his time harassing me.

My last trip down, I hardly packed anything and shopped locally for meat, veggies, etc. It was a wonderful experience. I was in the Santa Fee Market and a Mexican gentleman spotted me and made
a point of chatting with me. He asked why I wasn't shopping for beans and rice. I told him I ate beans and rice all the time but today I was making my fabulous Cowboy Potatoes. He asked how I did
that and I gave him the recipe and he said it sounds good. I also got one of the best cakes there I have ever had.

Now, after having spent a little time with the Puerto Penasco PD for crashing a stop light that I never saw, OK ROBERTO< you happy now, I went to a meat market and bought six of the best boneless ribeyes
I have ever tasted at less than six bucks each.
The gist of it is, less problems at the border, save a few bucks and you'll be rewarded with good food and might make some friends along the way.
What I am saying Senor Toad is try it locally, you'll like it.

az-dan

You can learn a lot just like the time I went to Bodega Aurrra and tried to buy a flyswatter. During my visual description of a flyswatter the young girl said “si” and then showed me a hammer. I now know a hammer is a “martillo”and that there is no direct translation for flyswatter but is said as “insect volador assesino”.