Estuary this time of year

rplarry

Was curious, has anyone fished either the Moura or Pinto estuary this weekend or last? Any chance the corvina are still around or have returned?

Thanks!

I saw a big school of corvina on Wednesday and another yesterday, while we were snorkeling between Pelican Point and Punto Caballo... so they are in close in open waters...

rplarry

I saw a big school of corvina on Wednesday and another yesterday, while we were snorkeling between Pelican Point and Punto Caballo... so they are in close in open waters...
Thanks for the response Seadweller! Hope to hook into a couple. Wasn't sure on their presence with the heat and high water temp ??

actually... Ive been in the water all summer long and truthfully I don't think the water temp has reached as high of a temp this year as it has in the recent past...

while free diving saturday I felt a mojor thermocline (a layer of water in an ocean, where the temperature gradient is greater than that of the warmer layer above and the colder layer below.) it was a chilling experience...

I'm thinking the water temp may fall fast this year...

So do the corvina stay out of the estuaries when the water temperature is higher? I have my father over again and we are planning two 1-2 day trips to La Pinta over the next two weeks. Hoping we have a chance...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I used to think that the corvina were a fall/winter fish in the estuaries. Until I caught a bunch of them on a trip in August. They come and go in the estuaries all year round, as best I've been able to tell. Just a matter of being there and fishing as the school runs through on the tide.