Federalies?

MarieM

I returned from a great weekend in RP yesterday and about ten miles or so north of Puerto Penasco there was a road block. It appeared to be the Mexican Army (I hope!).
Lots of soldiers with rifles and a humvee with a machine gun - they were stopping all vehicles northbound and southbound.
They were very professional and looked inside our travel trailer (under couch etc) but did not speak Engish so we never really did know what they were looking for.
Just made me kind of nervous - how do you know for sure if they are Mexican Army or just gangsters? And what would they be looking for - we were leaving Mexico for home--;)

If they were gangsters the Mexican Army would have taken care of them... these road blocks or check points are pretty common... the soilders have always been polite to us... I live here in RP and have been through these check points many times on our way to the childrens home outside of town and they will check out our car on the way out but usually on our way back they remember us and just wave and tell us to go through...

They are most likely looking for drugs... people need to be leaving Mexico to take drugs to the US... that is why they check everyone, especially motor homes and travel trailers because there are a lot of places to hide things in them...

Kea

That happened to us about a year ago when we were leaving Peñasco. They had us get out of the truck with our dogs and looked through the truck pretty thoroughly. We asked if they wanted to see in our 5th wheel and they said no.

Terry C

We have had the check point many times going down over the years. What i have seen if you don't speak spanish and tell them, a guard will come and speak english so you understand what they are doing..., exit the truck so we can look in it..... No problem, they are there for a reason like Mark said. Be polite and you will be on your way and looking forward to your next trip back.....

MarieM

Thanks for the reassurance - I was not afraid of anything they would find, since I had nothing illegal, but I just wondered if this was common. I have been going to RP for 25 years and have never had this happen.

El Gato

During the time of the summer Olympics in LA they had a road block - were looking for arms headed for the games. They were really nice and polite - petted the dog and kidded with the Grandkid. Guy next to us told them (in swear words) that there was no way they were checking HIS car! He was an American citizen, etc. Last we saw as they waved us on our way was the guy's car being dismantled - seats out, etc. It probably never occurred to him that if he had been polite he would have been on his way with a wave and a smile. But he wouldn't have had another 'horror' story to tell.

don

I'd prefer to see these checkpoints and feel safer knowing the military is showing their presence- kind of like seeing the Navy in the ocean.

I agree with Russ and Don, I like seeing the Federalies and checkpoints. It used to freak my wife out seeing all those masked men toting guns. When I explained that they were there to protect her, she started thanking them and smiling at them and they usually return the good will.

Roberto

Being from the US we are not accustomed to seeing military in the streets so yeah it can be frightening. You will see them in many countries around the world. On my first trip to Europe, the first thing I saw when I got off the plane at the airport in Rome was a guy in uniform with an Uzi ! In Cairo there was military on virtually every corner.

DeniseAck

We too met the Federales this past week. However, IN town. They set up a road block on (I think) Sinaloa and pulled people over to do random searches. Our friend in front of us was asked to get out of the car so they could look in, but they just spoke to us through the open window. Asked us where we were going (Super Ley market) and let us go on our merry way.

The funny part of it was that while we were waiting for them to come to us, my husband started cracking jokes to me. We had been collecting shells and unfortunately one of them still had remnants of dead whatever inside and STUNK! So he's joking that the officer should just ignore the smell of death from the trunk and I had a hard time keeping it together when he got to us. It was quite sobering when I saw the size of the automatic weapon he had his finger on the trigger on. No more laughing!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain....
(-Wizard of Oz)

The Man

none

yooo there!

In the coming time, WE Americans will see
Army law enforcement and road blocks and military with guns in the US.

Our loving president just signed an pres order that the military can do law enforcement, and now started with the military drowns (spy planes) .

Now
an issue of what our forefathers said cannot be done. But that great paper is being replaced and Americans are letting it happen!

Our dear Homeland Security Dept., yes, has just ordered 400 mil rounds of bullets and other items!

Wait till after election!

But one thing for Americans, yes, they will fight and die for freedom...........but
they will let it be taken away!

Be prepared for armed US military in the
US of A!

So get use to Mexican military, HERE IN Mexico!

Here in Mexico , its for our safety, stateside .......
will not go into that issue now! We will find out!

The Man

Kenny

As you say, yooo there!
Where ya been man, theirs nothing new there, and I'll bet a dime you weren't born when they passed the "no knock" law to help fight our so called "war on drugs".
US of A!
So let me guess, you have your own little stockpile of arms and munitions for when that time comes.

jerry

When president Romney takes charge all that police state stuff will end!!!!! clown.....
yooo there!

Our loving president just signed an pres order that the military can do law enforcement, and now started with the military drowns (spy planes) .

Now
an issue of what our forefathers said cannot be done. But that great paper is being replaced and Americans are letting it happen!

Our dear Homeland Security Dept., yes, has just ordered 400 mil rounds of bullets and other items!

Wait till after election!

But one thing for Americans, yes, they will fight and die for freedom...........but
they will let it be taken away!

US of A!

So get use to Mexican military, HERE IN Mexico!

Here in Mexico , its for our safety, stateside .......
will not go into that issue now! We will find out!

The Man

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Hey The Man, due to a secret order from Obama the tin foil in the US no longer stops the brain penetrating rays from his secret mind control rays. You have to make your hat out of Mexican tine foil and drink Mexican beer and tequila to protect yourself!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Surfcaster. I'll take the last two suggestions ("and drink Mexican beer and tequila to protect yourself!") and you can keep the "tine" foil.

Frankly, I don't mind the Federalies at all. In full disclosure, I have never had an occaission for them to stop me, but I'll do so gladly when asked.
Now the RP Police, that's a different story, but we are becoming fast friends.

The Man: How many times have I told you that you don't rile up the "Fox Bashers". They were going along quietly in their own way, in fact I have only been picked on
once in the last week and not even by Roberto, and then BAM, out they come.

Be carefull. Always be carefull.

Kenny

The Man: How many times have I told you that you don't rile up the "Fox Bashers".
And just why do you assume this guy watches Fox news Jack, could it be because his post was oriented toward weapons and violence?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Kenny, where did I suggest, state or hint that The Man watches Fox News? Maybe in my old addled condition, I missed something. I didn't assume anything, because I know what happens when you
ass u & me something. I simply warned him about riling up those who would bash Fox News. Nothing more, nothing less. He did and look what happened. Here we go again.