Fiesta cruiser shipwrecked, tourist dies

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
At around 7pm on Tuesday, personnel from the marines, police, fire department and municipal Civil Protection were called on to rescue 44 tourists after the popular Fiesta Cruiser in Puerto Penasco lost all steering and was left adrift on the Sea of Cortez. Unconfirmed reports said that the cruise ship had hit something.

Tragically, an American tourist died as a result of what appeared to be a heart attack during the rescue operation.

Strong winds complicated the rescue efforts, which took several hours. It is unusual for cruise operators to risk taking the tours out when when winds are blowing as they were on Tuesday.

At this time neither details of the ship’s mechanical problems or the fatality are available.

GringoZona

Well Known Member
Wow. How awful. Until I saw the Fiesta Cruiser official website, I kept thinking, "No, it couldn't be that giant white ship," but it is! http://fiestacruiser.com/

Pretty scary, and I just made a comment the other day about how the local tour boats never seem go past Whale Mountain on the sunset cruises anymore, although this one makes day trips out to Bird Island as well. Any word on which type of cruise it was?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I feel sorry for the death that occurred due to the accident, however I've noticed that the ship, at least the one I went on, was in bad need of upkeep and not just cleaning and if it is the same boat would not surprise me that it could be possibly due to maintenance more than hitting a rock that was not there in the other 20 thousand times the boat went over the same trayectory!! also heard he got a new to him boat and rumor has it that it was stressed enough to be taken out of the water for good or used for and artificial reef!!

mis2810

Well Known Member
Wow. How awful. Until I saw the Fiesta Cruiser official website, I kept thinking, "No, it couldn't be that giant white ship," but it is! http://fiestacruiser.com/

Pretty scary, and I just made a comment the other day about how the local tour boats never seem go past Whale Mountain on the sunset cruises anymore, although this one makes day trips out to Bird Island as well. Any word on which type of cruise it was?
I remember you making that comment the other day and I was thinking you were correct. They didn't go very far out at all anymore. The reason they always gave for leaving late was that El Capitan was drunk. I heard that more than one time.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Im sorry to hear about this guy. I immediately clicked on the thread thinking the ship sunk. Rosie, drifting in the sea and shipwrecked are two very different things.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Im sorry to hear about this guy. I immediately clicked on the thread thinking the ship sunk. Rosie, drifting in the sea and shipwrecked are two very different things.
The word in the press release was shipwrecked. Shipwrecked doesn't necessarily mean sunk. It means destroyed by weather conditions or collision. The press release used the word "naufrago". That's good enough for me. What it says and what you think it says are two very different things, Joe.

playaperro

El Pirata
Peñasco Fiesta Cruiser sinks and dies in a tourist
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2011 22:11 RAMON CONTRERAS RAMOS PUERTO PENASCO
User Rating: / 0
PoorWell
http://www.numerounoonline.com/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10349:naufraga-fiesta-cruiser-en-penasco-y-muere-una-turista&catid=42:puerto-penasco&Itemid=109
The boat with 44 tourists one of them a minor, was left stranded in the navigation channel to be losing the rudder and drift.

Unfortunately an American tourist died sixties presumably by a heart condition after the boat he was traveling, the Fiesta Cruiser dedicated to inshore tourist had an accident around seven p.m. Tuesday that wrecked it in the navigation channel Puerto.

The accident was presented at around 7 pm and immediately acted fire police rescue corps, marine, civil rescue organizations, Municipal Civil Protection. At nearly 10 pm, rescue work was completed.

It is unknown what caused the accident that caused the collapse of the embaración, but unofficially it is known that the ship hit the sea floor tepetate and lost rudder at the situation drifted and victim in addition to the strong winds that this time whipping the port, according to early reports. Even one of the boats in the Marina was also about to be stranded while trying to help the Party Cruiser. On the other hand learned that the port was closed to navigation due to bad weather and yet is unknown because the ship's owners came to sail.

Cruizer Boat Festival Erl called, has several years for seagoing tours in the vicinity of the Port and was originally a fishing boat is outfitted to transport tourists. This same boat and had an accident a few months ago when it hit the pier in the port area. At that time no one was injured.

Must await the report of the authorities responsible for the investigation to determine the causes of the shipwreck as this type of incident affects the image of Puerto Peñasco, especially to know if the boat met the security requirements that are imposed to be authorized to navigate. On several occasions he was overloaded with tourists

Took rescue workers more than four hours in care work travelers who suffered nervous breakdowns because of the fear passed, and unfortunately it is known unofficially the death of an American tourist who died of a heart attack.

Set as favorite Share Send by email Hits: 33
Comments (0)
Comments RSS

Write Review
Name

Title

Comment

Small | Large
Subscribe via email (registered users only)
I have read and agree to the Terms of Use.
NEW COMMENT PREVIEW

playaperro

El Pirata
Ha! Perhaps it wouldv'e been easier to what you're famous for: copy and past into Google Translator for a version no one can understand. It's your only claim to fame, Dude.
What is your claim to fame Rosa? That you are much smarter and prettier than most women your age!!!!!

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
What is your claim to fame Rosa? That you are much smarter and prettier than most women your age!!!!!
Well thank you for noticing, but no...that isn't it. Hopefully it's that I have something of value to contribute to my surroundings and to the people around me.

I actually see your copy and paste jobs as something of a contribution to the forum. Keep 'em coming.

playaperro

El Pirata
Well thank you for noticing, but no...that isn't it. Hopefully it's that I have something of value to contribute to my surroundings and to the people around me.

I actually see your copy and paste jobs as something of a contribution to the forum. Keep 'em coming.
No it's not something i noticed Those are your own words on that email you calling me a pansy...

This is really sad news... our prayers go out to the family and friends of the woman that lost her life during tragedy... This boat had another mishap and loss of life out at the island that rarely ever gets mentioned... it was when the drunken bartender on the boat went down the sliding board on the back of the boat and landed on a passenger who was already in the water and broke her neck...

Last edited:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Yea sure no! Shipwrecked means you hit something destroyed the vessel and now the situation is FUBAR. Shipwrecked doesnt mean drifting at sea because the rudder doesnt work. I mean the key word here is WRECKED, as in destroyed...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The word in the press release was shipwrecked. Shipwrecked doesn't necessarily mean sunk. It means destroyed by weather conditions or collision. The press release used the word "naufrago". That's good enough for me. What it says and what you think it says are two very different things, Joe.

What it says is shipwrecked and what I think is what Shipwrecked means, a ship that has wrecked. Be it the bottom of the ocean or laying destroyed on some rocky point or beach, either way the ship has wrecked. Then I read about it and the ship was just floating around the sea... this is hardly shipwrecked. Thank you

The word is that this boat had a huge hole in it and they kept taking it out anyway (greed)... this boat was a shipwreck looking for a place to happen...