Fishing Charters....

Got a few questions on fishing charters....

Have a few friends/fellow workers that are interested in doing some fishing.....

Which are the best charter boats for some newbies/lightly experienced...ones that can put them over some decent fishing? I'd like for them to have a great experience...one that would bring them back for more!!!

Do the charter boats provide gear?

I know that the rates usually include the license everyone has to get.....what can they expect to pay for a half day or full day....I'm talking about 3-4 people....possibly a private charter????

Mark (Seadweller)..you can probably provide a lot of this info....but I wanted to put this out for others to respond to.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Miguel at the public harbor does a great job. Has been doing so for years. Price will depend on the boat (how big). You can go out panga fishing for a few hours for like $35 an hour. All depends on their needs. There are lots of options.

Hey Joe... you can expect to pay anywhere from $45. on a panga up to $60. to $65. for smaller boats that are launched at "la bajada" (the ramp) and $75. on up if it is one of the boats that leave from a slip... (per person)

private charters are $250 for 4 passengers on a smaller boat, (25 foot) up to 12 miles out

$450. for up to 6 passengers, for 22 to 30 miles out (26 foot)

for a bigger boat (30 foot) $400. for up to 15 miles, $600. up to 30 miles... (6 passengers)

and for even bigger boat (60 foot) 8 passengers $600. for up to 15 miles, and $1,000. for up to 30 miles

or you can call and talk to Barb... she is the one that books the boats... lately I've been keeping myself busy with a few other projects...

Last edited:
I'm looking for a fishing charter this weekend. It will be 3-4 of us guys going. Anyone have suggestions or pricing that I should be looking for? Should I try to book ahead of time or when I get down there?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
You can reserve in advance, but this weekend shouldn't be so busy that you need to. You might want to take a look at the boats and charters available the day before, then negotiate a bit and set something up for the following day. Prices run fairly true to what Seadweller posted. Depends on the # of guys, the size of the boat, how long and how far you want to go. Heck, I'd take you, but I won't be down there this weekend.

B

bahiatrader

I had a friend who went out with Pepe Cruz. He caught some nice big white sea bass and had a good time. He said Pepe was a good fisherman. His email is [email protected] I have his number listed as: 638-105-9720. That doesn't look like a good number, but that's what I have listed on my contact list.

audsley

Rocky Pt. Joe,

You said your friends are newbies/lightly experienced. That pretty well describes me too, except that I've been on a couple of low-end excursions out of Rocky Pt., and I don't recommend those They consisted of sitting over a reef in a panga or tug boat reeling up trigger fish. Personally, I don't care to do that as I don't find it very exciting, and I'm not wild about eating or catching trigger fish. Also, pangas parked over a reef tend to go up and down, up and down, up and down, until everybody on board except the crew is too sick to enjoy fishing anyway. Also, you feel like a four-year-old fishing for bluegill with your grandpa - unless you push them away, they'll bait your hook, take your fish off and basically do everything except reel in your fish. They're trying to be helpful (and speed things up), but it's not the kind of experience a freshwater trout/bass/crappie fisherman like myself finds rewarding.

I would suggest digging a little deeper into the pockets and going farther out for better fish and a better fishing experience. Since I haven't yet gone on that kind of trip, I'm not sure if it's any better for sea sickness. After all, you're still dealing with a small boat. But at least there's the prospect of catching something that's interesting and good eating.

Vvalenz

I agree with Beachwalker, we have rented many charter boats, the joker for one and pangas and wind up catching trigger fish after trigger fish. We also have had them stay in one spot for 15 minutes and move and move and move then I want to scream. It's fun but next fishing trip we are looking for something more exciting. If there are women on the trip and your going to be out a while make sure there is a bathroom. We have had a few with the port-a-potty where you had to hold a towel in front of the person so no one on the boat sees ya but if there are any other boats around they all watch, kinda funny. And we had one where they gave us a clorox bottle with the bottom cut off to pee in also funny. We have had a lot of fun experiences but are looking for bigger fish. So i'll keep looking at this post and hope there are some good recomendations out there.

Yes, I think I got the answer. Thanks everybody. And thanks Stuart. One of these times I'd love to go out fishing with you!

D

DonJaime

To the person who mentioned Trigger Fish not being good eating fish. In MHO Trigger Fish is one of the best eating fish there is. It certainly makes the best Cheviche. My Mexican friends and family call it the Lobster of fish. The meat is white, firm with a mild flavor. Trigger Fish=Good Eats!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
DonJaime - Trigger is good to eat, but it's not all there is to catch or eat. Too many of the restaurants overcook it - makes it dry and chewy. Personally, sierra makes the best ceviche in the world!

It's amazing there are any trigger fish left. They must breed like rabbits. I was talking to some gringos one night and they were telling me what a stellar day they had fishing, caught over a 100 fish and filled 2 coolers! I asked if they were triggerfish and they said they had no idea, they were grey. I just looked at the clueless jerks, shook my head in disgust and laughed at them. Some real sportsmen there, I tell ya.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
It's amazing there are any trigger fish left. They must breed like rabbits.
yeah, Triggers and Spotted Sand Bass- they're everywhere.

+1 on trigger being tasty- a serious pain to clean, however (I've learned to use a serrated knife to get through the skin)

DonJaime - Trigger is good to eat, but it's not all there is to catch or eat. Too many of the restaurants overcook it - makes it dry and chewy. Personally, sierra makes the best ceviche in the world!

It's amazing there are any trigger fish left. They must breed like rabbits. I was talking to some gringos one night and they were telling me what a stellar day they had fishing, caught over a 100 fish and filled 2 coolers! I asked if they were triggerfish and they said they had no idea, they were grey. I just looked at the clueless jerks, shook my head in disgust and laughed at them. Some real sportsmen there, I tell ya.
How true Stuart... we usually try to use a bigger hook to keep from catching triggers... they are fun to catch and good to eat, but I think after catching 5 or 6 of them it's time to try for something else...

To the person who mentioned Trigger Fish not being good eating fish. In MHO Trigger Fish is one of the best eating fish there is. It certainly makes the best Cheviche. My Mexican friends and family call it the Lobster of fish. The meat is white, firm with a mild flavor. Trigger Fish=Good Eats!
I'll second that.....I don't fish, but one of my friends used to spend the afternoon on a little rubber dink off Playa Bonita catching them, and his German wife would cook them up....fantistic....no "fishy" smell or taste...it's all in the prep and seasoning!!! But they are one ugly fish!!!

Last edited:
D

DonJaime

Stewart, each has his own preferences. Still, I have a large extended Mexican Family here in Guaymas and they all prefer trigger fish for cheviche and mojo en ajo. But, they will make cheviche from most everything, including clams. My Son Banano/Fernando likes to chunk/steak the mackrel and slow cook it in tomato juice. I am not a big fish eater. I perfer to catch a bunch of pan size fish and flash fry them in the disco. For those that don't know about discos, they are a plow disc with rebar legs. You fill them with oil and build a wood fire under it. Cooks really HOT and fast.

D

DonJaime

Palometas-Pop corn? It is kinda like popcorn. uuuuuuuuummmmmm. yummy.