Fishing license

Is there a location in P.P. to buy our anual licenses ? I thought that at the Peso value they may be cheaper there than the $ 48.20 listed on the form. Last year I mailed in to Conapesca in San Diego , CA. and got them back by mail. A pain in the %^*( to have to go and buy cashiers checks.
THOUGHTS PLEASE

A

azbeachboy

Bill,
I know right where it was the last time I got a license. Make a U turn at the statue past the old police station. The first or second left turn dead ends at the marina. The Pesa office is next to the hardware store.

F

fotat

Hi, I am new to the forum, glad I found it. We fish from shore and close to shore in a kayak and small inflatable boat. Do you guys know if we need a liscence for this, or only for off-shore fishing? We have never had one in the 30 years we have been going, and always get different answers. Thanks

You don't need a licence to fish from shore... but I think you do need one when you are in any type of watercraft... and the rule is that one fish all fish so everyone on the craft is considered to be fishing and they need a permit... but I have never heard of anyone being harassed when fishing from a kayak or inflatable...

and I have to agree with you... every time I ask someone about this I get a different answer... so I guess you can add mine to your collection

Kelney

Here is the language posted by PESCA concerning licensing:
MEXICAN SPORTFISHING REGULATIONS

• When operating a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a valid fishing license for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A Fishing License is not required when fishing from land.
  • Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.
  • A fishing license allows to capture only fin fish. It does not allow to capture any other mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and may not be captured at any time.
  • To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.
  • The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.
So technically you would need a license if fishing from an inflatable or Kayak. If I fished solely from a yak or inflatable near shore would I get one? Probably not.

Here is a link to the website. You may also buy licenses here as well.

http://conapescasandiego.org/contenido.cfm?cont=REGULATIONS

I free dive hawaiian sling or pole-sprear fish from my kayak and have never been approached by anyone...

Gato or Samuel that work for the port captain may be able to tell you where to purchase a licence in RP. I'll see if I can find one of them and get an answer as to where one can be purchased...

VonDog

El Pescador
You can get fishing licenses at the main city building close to old port. Its a fairly large yellow bldg with kind of an open breeze way. You go to the back of the breeze way follow the hall to the right and there is an office on the left.

B

bahiatrader

I've been getting my annual license and boat papers at Pompano's for years. It's right across from the public launch area and there has always been someone there who speaks English well enough to get by which is more than I can say for la Oficina de Pesca. Oficina de Pesca referred me to Pompano's when they didn't have the right papers and I've been using them since. It's easier and faster.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I've been a member of the Vagabundos for years, so I just order yearly licenses from them when I renew my Mexican Insurance every year. You pay a little more ($5 service charge), but the convenience is well worth it.

B

bahiatrader

I'm guessing the Vagabundos thing that Stuart mentioned would probably be the best option. I've been to La Oficina De Pesca twice, when they didn't have the correct papers. Another time I strongly suspected one of the employees swiped my boat title. (I'm told they're worth money to legitimize stolen boats.) When I ask the officer about it, the only thing they had was the copy they'd made. I had them make a copy of that and give it to me. I applied for a new title with different numbers when I returned home. There are better places to get your papers.
Supposedly there is only one CONAPESCA office in the US. I went to their website to get a mail-in request form that you mail to them certified with a self addressed stamped envelope. I went there three times and the request form came up blank. I'd hate to make desparaging remarks about Burocracia Mexicana, but that's been my experience. The Vagabundos thing looks a lot easier. The Bloodydecks site might be an option also.

dmcauley

The info VONDOG gave is correct- It's the old municipal bldg. and even if you don't speak spanish they can help you/ I used to use Vagabundos and it is a whole lot easier and they arrive quickly