Fishing Puerto Lobos

Kenny

Yep, never even heard of a Yellowfin until later on in life, and on our Rocky point forums. What we caught out of San Diego etc was called a Yellowtail. I thought what the hell change is good, I'll call them Yellowfin just to keep Bob up worrying about it, especialy after his previous post's about it.:mrgreen: Now shall we talk Pompano/Leather jackets again? That could keep us busy for day's.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hamachi Kama. This is a real treat and we now enjoy it regularly when we catch yellowtails. Basically, it's the shoulders of the fish, cut from the back of the head down to and including the two front bottom fins. You then break it to lie flat and cook it on the grill. The meat is fatty and surprisingly enough, there's a pretty good amount of meat. Excellent flavor!!

don

What a great, memorable and informative trip we had!

Perhaps some of what we learned could help others making a trip to Lobos.

We owe a great big Thank you to Asprinkles, Moore_rb, Red Drum, Ted, Seadwellar and Ric for extremely valuable information. Information which allowed to locate reefs relatively quickly and put fish in the boat. So, "Thank you Guys!" BTW, I told Kenny I would take care of the "Thanks" so, know that he is also behind the gratitude.

The trip:

Planned on leaving early Saturday AM, but Murphy was involved and I got held up to a Sunday noon departure. That was extremely unfortunate because weather reports Kenny collected showed calm Sunday, Monday, breezes on Tuesday, high winds on Wednesday, light winds early Thursday, then winds again for the Memorial day weekend. Oh well, we could have several good days of fishing, start learning new reefs, make new friends, enjoy great food, sights; a neat adventure awaited!

Got to the Caborca jct about 7:45 PM. Decided to push onward-had heard about the new highway being completed, so off we went. Beyond the first check station we came to a military check station/vehicle search. Felt perfectly safe and glad to see their military involved.

The new highway starts about 15 (?) miles from Santo Thomas. And, as you approach the jct, you'll come upon a quick decision-either right on left lane. The right lane takes you to Dosembique (we now know(!)). So, you want to take the left lane! I don't remember the destination city- but, take the left lane! Red Drum helped us realized our mistake and figure this out!

BTW, the new highway is great, smooth pavement, wide lane, wide emergency lane. Signage is interesting and fun to assimilate the meaning to us gringo's.
You'll notice a sign for Puerto Lobos indicating 1 Km, then as you are rounding a slow turn you'll see a dirt pulloff/road with another sign indicating Lobos is 5 KM... Hmm, the dirt pulloff/road is the road to lobos and its 5 KM. Severe washboard is the name of this road, and slow and slower is the speed limit. I can see why folks would not want to take their boat down this road, not sure I would...

Sorry fellas, got to stop typing for now... I'll finish this story tomorrow. I was in the hospital with MRSA in my left hand (contracted back here in Flag while getting firewood-go figure, nothing happens with fish hook and fin punctures, knife knicks while filleting fish and all the other cuts/abrasions one gets while fishing), and my club is getting sore-so time to give it a rest.

Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers.

Don

Last edited:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Glad to hear you're doing better Don.... MRSA sucks - my wife fought two bouts about 5 years ago. Same deal- small puncture that blew up to a golf ball sized infection. nasty.

Looking forward to "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would have put it.

Kenny

You'll notice a sign for Puerto Lobos indicating 1 Km, then as you are rounding a slow turn you'll see a dirt pulloff/road with another sign indicating Lobos is 5 KM... Hmm, the dirt pulloff/road is the road to lobos and its 5 KM. Severe washboard is the name of this road, and slow and slower is the speed limit. I can see why folks would not want to take their boat down this road, not sure I would...
You'll notice it a lot easier if it's not 10 at night and with a new moon. Finding the turnoff in the light is not a problem if you don't pay attention to the "official" sign that says 5 km.

The new highway starts about 15 (?) miles from Santo Thomas. And, as you approach the jct, you'll come upon a quick decision-either right on left lane. The right lane takes you to Dosembique (we now know(!)). So, you want to take the left lane! I don't remember the destination city- but, take the left lane! Red Drum helped us realized our mistake and figure this out!
I still have no idea where " the road from hell" the Drum was on and talked about after his first trip down is, and that's a good thing.:p A year or so ago Mexico Joe and I had no problems at all getting there from Jerry's. At that time the new road was only as far as the new turnoff to Santo Tomas going north, so we had the new road from there (Santo Tomas) all the way south to Porto Lobos... So as far as the road from hell was concerned it didn't factor in my route or thinking at all, as I'd been to Puerto Lobo's before and on the new road all the way from Santo Tomas. Libertad and Dosembique are the city's to look for at the new overpass, but don't accidentaly turn off to Dosembique farther down and past Santo Tomas, bear left to Libertad. Also it's a good idea to have mirrors that can let you at least see along the sides of the trailer you are towing so you can see someone flashing his lights like a madman at you.LOL

Last edited:
Kenny,it used to be 42 miles of HELL. You come from Caborca and go through the farms. You guys have no idea how lucky you are. Many a truck have been lost on that road. They had silt beds that were a quater mile long, that , when you saw one coming up, you would floor it, and by the end you were going about 2 miles an hour. One time we were pulling a trailer and the axles were actually grading the sand, thats how deep the sand was .Leigh

Kenny

Kenny,it used to be 42 miles of HELL. You come from Caborca and go through the farms. You guys have no idea how lucky you are. Many a truck have been lost on that road. They had silt beds that were a quater mile long, that , when you saw one coming up, you would floor it, and by the end you were going about 2 miles an hour. One time we were pulling a trailer and the axles were actually grading the sand, thats how deep the sand was .Leigh
Yep, a lot of bad roads when we first started coming down in the 50's. From what my parents said after coming down from Torrance (kids stayed home on that first trip) in 55, they didn't know if they were going to make it in my uncle Teddy's woody or not! What I don't get is how the Drum got on the road they discribed, and where did it start. I'm thinking that the new road was completed as far as Santo Tomas when they made their first trip down,and they could have cut down to the main road from the Y coming in.There would have been no reason to have come through Caborca coming from Cali, but if the did it would have just been a left at the Y junction.
...When I mentioned that I was going down to Puerto Lobos to a co-worker, he told me about a wild trip he made to there back in 73 with some other adventure seeking not so bright school chums. He said that at one point all they wanted was to find the sea of Cortez, and when they did finaly get to Lobos, they drove it straight down to the beach and of course buried their passenger car frame deep in the sand.

Last edited:

jerry

Don and Kenny the road signs crack me up at the turn off.The funny thing is they spent more money on the turn around than they would of if the signage made any friggin sense

Kenny

Don and Kenny the road signs crack me up at the turn off.The funny thing is they spent more money on the turn around than they would of if the signage made any friggin sense
It was kind of funny Jerry. The Drum had told Don to look for a not so large handmade sign and remember it's dark out there, very. Anyway at this point I'm in front and I thought I saw and passed a small sign that said Puerto Lobos. So I slow down and stop with Don in behind me with the trailer. We decide I should turn around with my Jeep and go back and have a look see. Sure enough I was right, the sigh and the turn off was just a short distance behind us, but the official sign we now noticed said "Puerto Lobo's 5 km" .:think:

I have no idea how they could have put that sign up in the daytime, and not have noticed Puerto Lobo's sitting right out there in plain sight, and jutting out into the Sea of Cortez as they stuck it in the ground.

Just a note..Hand painted signs good.., Official signs, not so good.

Last edited:

Red Drum

You guys had a great trip. Nice quality Yellows and Grouper. Nice pic of Chuey H.:cheers:

On my first trip down there last year, I accidently took the left turn overpass to Caborca, and when we get near town, some guy told us to take some paved road that eventually turned into a nasty dirt road at 30 31.800/112 18.697. The sign said Puerto 78 kilometers. I told my friend they supposedly built some new highway and maybe it was a little futher down the road. But unfortunately, the new road was not to be found on that 48 miles of washboard Hell. What an experience that was, at least I caught my first Roosterfish and Sierra on that trip...yippee!!

The big tanker White Seabass are biting really good along the Ventura County coast line right now and hopefully I'll get lucky this weekend and nail a couple. HOOK-UP!!

Last edited: