Fishing Report - July 1, 2, 2009

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Took advantage of a nice weather window this past Wed. and Thurs. for two days of fishing. The weather was hot, but it did rain on Tues. night in Penasco. Seas were calm after the storm Wed. morning.

Ran about a mile off the Mirador and loaded up the bait tank with bonefish, sierra, a few corvina, and some sand bass, and then headed out to the 18 mile reef. Passed some nice sargasso patches on the way out and decided to troll a couple small lures. Picked up a small skipjack, but no other takers.

1st drop on the 18 resulted in a 65 lb. grouper. We followed that up with a couple breakoffs on even larger fish, and eventually put 3 very nice (35 lb.) white seabass in the fishbox. The live bonefish were the hot ticket yet again. Didn't get a bump on the sand bass at all.

We now have a new fishing saying: "My boner is starting to twitch!" :lol::lol: Seriously - when fishing with Spectra line, it transmits everything on the bottom so well. You can tell if the bottom is soft or rock, just by the feel of your weight bouncing on it. When you drop a live bonefish down there, he sort of just swims around - you don't feel much of anything. Then, when somebody starts eyeing him over as a snack, you can feel the bonefish start twitching at the end of the leader like it's having an epileptic seizure. Time to hang on to that rod because within seconds of feeling the twitch, you get slammed to the rail!

With some nice fish in the box, we decided to head south and try trolling. Located some nice weedlines with big sargasso paddies and instantly got hook-ups on dorado, but couldn't make them stay on the hook. We made a few runs over the same group of paddies, but had the same result each time - good strikes, but couldn't keep the fish on the hooks when they jumped out of the water. They weren't big dorado and may not have been taking the whole hook, but it's always fun seeing dorado go airborne off the back of the boat. Oh, we did have one sailfish jumping near us, but couldn't seem to get him interested in anything.

Finally, we headed back in about 3:30. Heard a distress call on the radio. Somebody out of Cholla was about 10 miles out and his motor just quit. Got his GPS numbers and went north, then towed him back into Cholla Bay. Took awhile to go that 10 miles at 7 mph, but at least everybody was safe.

Thursday, we started off trolling weedlines south of Penasco, but got no action. Headed down to the Caballo to find four pangas set up there. I set up on my mark, right near the northern edge of the reef. Didn't take long for the "boner to twitch," only to end up breaking the main line. Next attempt resulted in getting rocked and shredding a 200 lb. leader. 3rd fish on mauled the hell out of a live corvina, but didn't stay on the hook. Just that kind of a day, I guess. We headed back up to the harbor with the wind starting to build a bit at 3:30.

Two decent days on the water, a lot of BIG fish out there right now. Be prepared with the heaviest gear you've got and even that isn't going to always get them into the boat! ;)

Hi Stuart
What kind of fishing schedule do you have and again what would you charge for Edna and Me ? Drop me a note [email protected]
We can break lose almost any time on short notice. We do have Dr appointments on 7th and 17th. We would like to go down for a 4 or 5 day and fish with you and a little in my small boat if weather permits.
Drop me a note

Sounds like a great couple of days fishing Stuart... and I agree the big fish are out there right now... in fact they are maybe a little closer to shore than you would think...

Wednesday, while I was shooting video of a couple Spinster Wrasse, my buddy Rick Hammer and his girlfriend Selinda both spotted 3 dorado, and as you can see in my video "First Fish for Juan" we were just a couple hundred yards from the Vina del Mar hotel...

Rick had his speargun and in his disbelief of seeing dorado that close in, he just froze and watched them swim past him in about 25 feet of water. just about 10 minutes later we heard Selinda scream out that 3 huge and fast fish just swam beneath her and she was just about 20 yards from shore...

this is making me hungry... :chef: the hunt is on... :fish:

RIC

good job stu, those trips 40-50 miles out sound less and less inviting every day dont you think?

ric

ricsrockypointfishing.com

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Only until October, Ric. ;) Still can't beat the deep reefs during the late fall and winter!

don

Dang, you did it again. When you're good, well...
You're report sure builds the desire to be trolling and floatin'! What did the Dorado hit?
Got a chuckle and great tip about the bonefish. Thanks!
Geez, thats your second rescue, way to go!

I jetski down there (even have ridden out to Bird Island).....what channel does anyone monitor? It used to be 26.

Is there any kind of search and rescue still active? How about the "Old Boys Club" (or whatever name they have) out of Cholla? Still active monitoring the radio?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yes, Channel 26 is still the fastest way to get help. Cholla Bay does monitor 26, but may not do so during the week when nobody is around. However, Villa the launcher in Cholla stays on 26 if he's got boats out, so somebody is likely to hear you and respond. I always stay on 26 when I'm out fishing, as do most other boats. You can quickly change to 68 for private talk, but 26 is the main channel for hailing because it has a repeater.

Don - I used my little dorado killers, of course! Just like the ones you have.

Kelney

Glad you found a good window during July Stu! I was down the last 4 days and it blew like a Happy Face message therapist. I knew that heading down and did not bother bringing the boat. Looked like it was calming down for a decent weekend.

I could not believe how dead the place was.