Fishing the tide?

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Coming down for a few weeks shortly and was going to plan a local fishing trip with a small group.

I just was wondering what you all think about fishing and the tides.
Considering 10 mile reef or further out from Puerto Penasco.

When do you think the best fishing time is?

Extreme High tide
Extreme Low tide
Regular High tide
Regular Low tide

Or Ebb Tides
Going from High to Low
Going Low to High tide

Thanks

SunDevil

Well Known Member
"slack" tide. the time between the tide change. this is generally longer when there is a "lower" high tide and a "higher" low tide. it is also associated with a half moon. avoid full and new moons as they generate higher high tides and lower low tides

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Capture.JPG

So does these two days at the end of the month look reasonable?
Thanks for the help and the better understanding of when fishing may be better.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Both those days look good. If beach fishing, I'd always arrive at low tide, check out mud reefs, cuts, and structure, then fish as the tide started coming in.

Out on the reefs, would always try to arrive as tide was going high and fish the slack until it started going back out.

As said above, quarter moon is best fishing with least amount of tidal movement. New or full moon and the current can really get ripping.

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
Thanks all,
Appreciate the information.
May consider shore fishing with some light tackle that's a lot of fun.
Catch and release as they are all small stuff.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Well guess I'll get out the pole and grease up the reel. I'm an expert cause Kenny taught me everything I know !! Nice to see some chatter here and more good useful information.

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
So I guess I have to head over to Carbela's for some shiny lures for plunking off the shores at low tide.
Light tackle stuff.
Any suggestions?

estevan

Kastmasters and crocodile spoons are my choice for shore fishing. No bigger than 1 oz or you'll get too many snags and catch less fish just because of the size. I've used a sabiki rig with a 1 oz crocodile spoon on the end and had a lot of success. One time I caught 3 fish on the same cast. Mostly leatherjackets.
I have started casting my own jigs so it doesn't sting as much when a sierra slices my line and I lose a $6 jig. I'll see how they work next week when I'm down.

Attachments

estevan

Has anybody been fishing from shore lately?? Last time I tried there were more bait fish than I had ever seen which resulted in catching zero fish. Just wondering if things have picked up.

IggyAZ

Well Known Member
estevan
We will be down there on the 18th for two weeks.
Hopefully the wind and the cool weathers will calm down by then.

estevan

Well, the shore fishing was a bust this past week. I didn't try bait or bottom fishing, but chucking spoons didn't produce much. Not too uncommon for this time of year. The wind and cold sure didn't help much. We did launch the boat from the shore on Thursday and Friday. Cold, windy and slow fishing. The weather should be a lot better this week and next.

AZCATFAN

Coming down for a few weeks shortly and was going to plan a local fishing trip with a small group.

I just was wondering what you all think about fishing and the tides.
Considering 10 mile reef or further out from Puerto Penasco.

When do you think the best fishing time is?

Extreme High tide
Extreme Low tide
Regular High tide
Regular Low tide

Or Ebb Tides
Going from High to Low
Going Low to High tide

Thanks
Be launched and ON the water two hours before and catch bait, get to your spot all set up so you are there before the slack tide changes that start stirring up the activity below. When it starts moving so do the fish and the bite might only be "best" for an hour or two.

JoseAz

Well Known Member
Was very windy this weekend so we fished the estuary. Had not explored over the years as didnt have a 4WD. Just got a Kawasaki Teryx to haul the little grand boys around.
Got some mackerel from 3 Boys (no squid). Went over the dunes behind Tessoro then left. The tide had scoured a few deep channels right along the bank - directly across from the oyster places. Caught small sea trout (corvina?), cabrilla, a perch. Daughter brought in a crab that forgot to let go. Son in law brought in something that looked like a banded snake. 18" long, had fangs - an eel? He wasnt hooked, just holding on to the bait so floped back in before we could get pictures. A number of familys had set up shade and were swiming and such. A real fun time for all