flounder - where to find in Phoenix area?

joester

2 salty dawgs
I'm just jonesing for some flounder - is there anywhere in the Phoenix area that has flounder?
I've tried the frozen flounder filets at Fry's - they're from China and just not the same.
frozen would be ok of the quality is there...
thanks so much.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Try Ranch Market. I'm sure I have seen it in there. It's just like being in Ley only bigger and cleaner. They have everything from Mexico! I don't know where they are on the east side but I go to the one on 16th st. and Roosevelt, in the old K Mart building, that's how big it is. Take some time 'cause you'll want to walk around. :D

Kelney

Lee Lee's Market on Warner and Dobson has just about any type of fish you would want as well as not ever want. Once I overcome the odor of the place I really am fascinated by the offerings they have. The Chinese market on 40th street and the 101 is decent as well for fish.

Kelney

Yeah that was the place I was referring to. I get the 101 and 202 names confused. I did not realize they had closed shop. I liked hitting the store for back up bait on my way home from work before fishing trips. It was a great bait shop.

B

bahiatrader

If there's a strong fishy smell (the odor of decaying fish), in a market, I usually just turn around and walk out. If any kind of fish has a "fishy" odor to it, it's decaying.

joester

2 salty dawgs
bahia -
good point about the smell, but you really need to smell the fish you want to buy -
every fish market I have ever been in smells fishy.
also need to watch for the ammonia smell around shrimp, not a good smell.
thanks

S

Submarine

Most Lee Lee's fish still has the head on so you can check the eyes or it's still swimming in a tank which probably means they are still kicking.

joester

2 salty dawgs
never been to LeeLee's, but it seems the Phx location has closed.
is the Warner/Dobson still open?

Kelney

Yes Lee Lee's at Warner and Dobson is open. The Chinese market off 44th St was called 99 Ranch Market.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
bahiatrader said:
If there's a strong fishy smell (the odor of decaying fish), in a market, I usually just turn around and walk out. If any kind of fish has a "fishy" odor to it, it's decaying.
The fish smells just fine. It's the market that smells like fish! Only because they sell so much of it. Throw in a few other indiscernable smells from various flavors around the world and you have the essence of Lee Lee Market captured and ready to bottle for perfume.

S

Submarine

There is another Lee Lee's in Peoria. I'll see if I can find the address.

S

Submarine

Stuart said:
bahiatrader said:
The fish smells just fine. It's the market that smells like fish! Only because they sell so much of it. Throw in a few other indiscernable smells from various flavors around the world and you have the essence of Lee Lee Market captured and ready to bottle for perfume.
Ain't that the truth! It's like taking an around the world trip in 30 minutes. I love going there, especially because I can see over everyone.

B

bahiatrader

It is possible to have a fish market without smelling fishy. Safeway or Smith's wouldn't allow it. I've even detected a slight odor to their fish from time to time. I'm pretty fussy about the fish I eat. If I can't buy it fresh or bring it home myself, I'd rather have beans and rice.

Kelney

I believe the Chinese Market (99 Ranch Market) on 44th and the 202 is still open. At least there are a lot of vehicles in front of the place every day.

Concerning the fishy smell, I imagine much of the odor comes from the trimmings and innards of the mass amount of fish they prepare for customers. The fish looks well cared for but I imagine the trimmings are decomposing and that is the odor that is detected.