flounder - where to find in Phoenix area?

S

Submarine

Yeah they don't do a whole lot of processing on site at the major chain grocery stores anymore.

In Tahiti the locals just hang fish out by the side of the road and you can buy it like you would someone selling grapefruit off their backyard tree.

B

bahiatrader

If the trimmings and entrails are stinking, they ought to throw 'em out and keep all surfaces wiped clean. It is possible to have a clean smelling fish market. When I find one, I go back because I love fresh fish. Unfortunately 'Vegas and Winchester Bay are a little far for you guys, so you'll have to find your own.
Coincidentally, I ordered a Mahi Mahi (dorado) fillet from a pretty nice restaraunt in Las Vegas recently. It had the "fishy" smell to it. The chef apologized and got me a nice big grouper steak. The smell will even linger after it's cooked. No thanks...
PS The chef brought the grouper fillet out and let me smell it bfore he prepared it. It was delicious.

joester

2 salty dawgs
well, I'm off to el rancho at 16th street this afternoon - hoping to find my flounder.
I'm also looking for more of the sweeten I use in my margs - the jarabe natural syrup.
I have heard about an agave syrup that sounds similar, just don't know where to find it.
anyone familiar with that?

joester

2 salty dawgs
Chari - thanks!
I brought a big cooler loaded with blue ice to work today, so I can have perishables in th etruck for my way home doing errands. was told to go on Friday afternoon, that Sat mornings can be pretty busy.....

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh, it'll be busy tonight! They have dances there in the restaurant and radio stations do live broadcasts. It's busy all the time, even at 10 on Sat. night! It's so worth it, tho! Enjoy!

joester

2 salty dawgs
flounder report -
the flounder at the ranch market at 16th st and Roosevelt is excellent!
at 3.99/lb - same as in RP. meat was fresh and firm, displayed on ice, with no stinky smell.
trimmed up nicely and made some great tacos.
got a bit over whelmed there - forgot to look for the jarabe syrup or agave nectar - next time.
i passed on the produce - I found the little produce market in Guadalupe has great roma tomatoes and chiles for cheaper than any other store around my area.

S

Submarine

try San Diego Bay restaurant in Guadalupe next time you are there. Tasty!

joester

2 salty dawgs
we have owned our home about a mile east of there for over 20 years, have never tried it -
ofter wondered, but never went for it.
will give it try - any menu recommendations?

S

Submarine

Seafood enchiladas or the baked pescado that takes 45 minutes.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
joester said:
we have owned our home about a mile east of there for over 20 years, have never tried it -
ofter wondered, but never went for it.
will give it try - any menu recommendations?
Howdy, neighbor! I'm in "Tempe Royal Estates" on McKemy St. between Hardy and Kyrene.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Cool place, eh, Joe? It's like Super Ley on Steroids! The first time I went in there I'm sure everyone was laughing at me 'cause I was walking around like a tourist! :lol: Mouth hanging open, looking at everything, trying to figure out what some of the produce was, etc. The gelatin cakes are cool! And tasty, too. I'm glad you got your fix.

joester

2 salty dawgs
yep -
next time I'll have a list - forgot to look for the Jarabe syrup, and agave nectar.
got by the food court area and was about paralyzed by all the choices.
looked at a camarones+avocado ceviche that looked great in the counter, tried to regain focus and stick to my task of the flounder, then got the heck out of there before I bought up the
place and ate it right there. food looks and smells great.
thanks for the great tip - now I can buy fresh flounder on my way home from work - sweetness!