From the friendly folks at Las Palomas via craigslist

Kenny

Joe, to say that 99% of a group of people are "very happy" with a set of rules is nonsense. You can't get 99% of a group of people to agree to much of anything, not alone something that involves money.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Las Palomas is not reinventing the wheel. Most condo/resorts around the world have similar rules regarding impact fee's for guests, not allowing non-guests to use facilties such as pools and gyms, and not allowing owners to set their own pricing. If someone wants no rules and wants no one to tell them what to do then don't live in a planned community. It is no different that someone owning in an community that is governed by a homeowners association and that association tells you such things as you have to pull your weeds, you can't park on the street overnight, etc. I totally understand why some owners who are losing their homes because they can't do as they please and those that took advantage of the resort would be upset. Before you purchase something read the bylaws of what you can and can't do. Just because you own something does not mean you can do as you please, unless you live in a van down by the river- or should I say a trailer down by the sea. Bring it fools... Bring it fools, I miss you guys. ;)

Kenny

I totally understand why some owners who are losing their homes because they can't do as they please and those that took advantage of the resort would be upset.
Then you agree with my last post dry rash, don't you?. No way 99% think it's all hunky dory.

That was a computer generated reply by dry rash, wasn't it?

Last edited:
Las Palomas is not reinventing the wheel. Most condo/resorts around the world have similar rules regarding impact fee's for guests, not allowing non-guests to use facilties such as pools and gyms, and not allowing owners to set their own pricing. If someone wants no rules and wants no one to tell them what to do then don't live in a planned community. It is no different that someone owning in an community that is governed by a homeowners association and that association tells you such things as you have to pull your weeds, you can't park on the street overnight, etc. I totally understand why some owners who are losing their homes because they can't do as they please and those that took advantage of the resort would be upset. Before you purchase something read the bylaws of what you can and can't do. Just because you own something does not mean you can do as you please, unless you live in a van down by the river- or should I say a trailer down by the sea. Bring it fools... Bring it fools, I miss you guys. ;)
I never said anything about non guests using the facilities....

Not allowing owners to set their own pricing....now that is something I disagree with...that means that most owners get screwed because there is considerably less demand for the rentals with the pricing set by ....who???? Is it the HOA, or some entity in another part of Mexico that has still not relinquinshed control of the resort to the owners????? I wonder are there are any HOA's in the states, once they allow rentals, that also set the pricing???

I wonder who the fools really are....the people who bought overpriced condos that still haven't been completed, or the people who bought a trailer that they own outright and can enjoy their time by the sea????

Last edited:

HAPPY

User is currently banned
rockyptjoe say, ~~~ "Where's Happy when we actually need him" ~~~ I'm here rocky, ~~~ enjoying the show, ~~~ & there have been a few since I be back, BUT I just be watching :razz:

rockyptjoe say again, ~~~ "getting screwed even though you own the condo" ~~~

No, no, ~~~ it be ~~~ Pigeon coops ~~~ rocky :razz:

I just had to say that, ~~~ Now please don't get me started, ~~~ cause you know what happens, ~~~
:razz:

jerry

Thank God I live in a trailer by the sea!!!......
Trailer by the sea...sounds like a good song title or maybe a detective series where the divorced private eye or cop on the edge lives by ...oops James Gardner, Mel Gibson etc. have already done it.

I think the only scary thing about these condos is the fee structure....do you own a condo or are you being held captive by the management group?

Last edited:
A

AZrockpoint

Then you agree with my last post dry rash, don't you?. No way 99% think it's all hunky dory.
Kenny, you are absolutely correct. Many, many owners at Las Palomas have not drunk the Kool aid and are unhappy with these ridiculous rules. Can you imagine paying several hundred dollars a month in HOA fees and then being asked to spend another $25 plus $5 per person per day for your own guests to stay in your condo? Pretty short sighted huh? Maybe this will help keep a few "rif raff" from the resort and stop some owners from charging low rates, but this has to hurt resale values. After all, who would buy into a resort that charges you to use your own personal condo?

A

AZrockpoint

Las Palomas is not reinventing the wheel. Most condo/resorts around the world have similar rules regarding impact fee's for guests)
Pure nonsense. No resort in Rocky Point other than Las Palomas nor "most in the world" have impact fee's for guests of owners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny

with a ankle bracelet on

I had a problem with that ridiculous 99% statement, it made the rest of what he had to say questionable at best. That's not to say that some might not give a hoot though.
Bring it fools... Bring it fools, I miss you guys.
Now as far as dry rash is concerned; Well some of us think he just might be bored and making up stories, you know, having to sit at home with that ankle bracelet on... It would be very hard for me to slander a no face no name, now wouldn't it?
I missed you too.

Last edited:
A lot of people were renting out their condos as "guests of the owners" also. They did not personally know the people. People not going through check in etc. We bought in LP because it was what WE wanted. We did not want a free for all at the pools . There has to be some accountability of who is there. Yes, we pay HOA's and I do not think it is out of line for a friend we might lend our condo to to pay 25 dollars for a frigging wrist band to
assure the management they are there legitimately.

This really gets old. Some of you guys have different ideas than a few of us. Whenever a condo owner pipes up on here it is like a swarm of ants on a piece of watermelon. The resort type atmosphere is what some of us
wanted. We have a right to reasonably expect that it is secure. YES some of us do not mind the extra 25 dollars for more of a sense of security. They do monitor those bands and I for one am glad.

ETA: I absolutely do not think there is a thing wrong with a trailer by the sea BTW. I think that sounds nice in fact. It just wasn't for us at this time in our lives.

Last edited:
A lot of people were renting out their condos as "guests of the owners" also. They did not personally know the people. People not going through check in etc. We bought in LP because it was what WE wanted. We did not want a free for all at the pools . There has to be some accountability of who is there. Yes, we pay HOA's and I do not think it is out of line for a friend we might lend our condo to to pay 25 dollars for a frigging wrist band to
assure the management they are there legitimately.

This really gets old. Some of you guys have different ideas than a few of us. Whenever a condo owner pipes up on here it is like a swarm of ants on a piece of watermelon. The resort type atmosphere is what some of us
wanted. We have a right to reasonably expect that it is secure. YES some of us do not mind the extra 25 dollars for more of a sense of security. They do monitor those bands and I for one am glad.
If you are getting what you wanted in your purchase...that's great....enjoy! However, trying to convince us that a $25 wristband provides some kind of accountability is just rationalization on your part.

I look at a "guest" (and I'm talking about a true guest, not someone I'm renting to) having to pay for something that I've already paid for in my HOA fees and in the purchase of the condo to begin with, as a rip off of ME!!! Different viewpoint....you're equating the "guest" not paying as the guest being cheap or something...I'm equating it to the resort/condo just ripping.

As to "the swarm of ants"...the other poster essentially was suffering from snobbery...with his comment!

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
For a 3 month period last year these were the ratios of guests at the resort... 70% guest of owner, 20% owner, 10% paying guest. When the guest of owner impact fee was put in place the average guest of owner changed to 40% and the paying guest of the resort went up to 30%.

It is obvious that guests were paying owners directly rather than the resort. Each paying guest of the resort pays an impact fee to the HOA for extra wear and tear when reserving via the resort, when paying guests are paying owners directly raher than the resort ALL owners suffer because the resort is not collecting these impact fees that would normally be collected and would pay for the extra wear and tear of a paying guest. Yes, daily impact fees are standard in the industry (see seaside, castaway and any other reservation company in puerto penasco). Unfortunately the "guest of owner" system was being abused and all owners were affected by a large group of cheating owners who did not pay lodging taxes (income that goes to the city) and impact fees. the impact fee is only paid when the owner is not present.

On the other hand if a family member or friend is giving you his place free of charge and the only fee you have to pay is $25 for the stay and $5 per person to stay at a 4 diamond resort, would you really be complaining? Usually the owners who were cheating the system are the ones most pissed about losing that income that is going to cause them to lose their property- tough sh**.

AZ Rockpoint, my poor lost puppy... you hint that most condo/resorts don't have impact fee's well you are wrong daniel son. Ex. Ritz Carlton owners club charges, MGM signature charges, St Regis residences does... all places my coup ass owns at. And to correct another ignorant statement... the management company sets the pricing and every owner was aware that you cannot rent for profit outside of the management company per the bylaws- one of your friends must be losing their place due to needing that extra $50 for rent so I totally understand their frustration and maybe their inability to read prior to buying. Oh and if that many are upset about the management company and would like someone else to run it, it only takes 75% of the owners to remove the management company. Don't forget to drain the sewer line before leaving the trailer.

Oh and please entertain me old man kenny

One more thing and then off my soapbox. Jerry, you started this thread. Do you own at LP? Do their rules effect you personally? I could understand if a condo owner posted that as a gripe but I don't understand your particular interest in it.

Kenny

Dry heat goe's way back waterkids, years back. Trust me, he'd be really disapointed if we didn't give him a bad time.

I guess Eric is a condo owner, but with the "10 pools, 4 hot tubs, 2 lazy rivers, 1 water slide, gym, kids club, golf course, etc etc", and that along with the "99%", he sounded more like a salesman.

Dry Heat....I do have a friend who owns there....but he lives there, and does not rent it out.....so if I go visit him (not staying overnight) and we want to hang out by the pool, I'm supposed to pay $30 ($25 plus $5)???? I must be making quite a mess in the pool and really creating a lot of wear and tear on the resort!!!! :rofl:

"Impact fee"????? I thought the HOA/maintenance fees were supposed to cover the expenses of maintaining the "resort"....

75%?????? That's a stacked deck....the likelihood of 75% of any group agreeing on something is extremely low!!!

Last edited:
Waterkids....I don't begrudge you owning at one of the "resorts"....if that's your family's "thing", then great. It's your money!

I'm not big on pools....if I come down to Penasco, I'm going to swim in the ocean (gulf), no matter how rough the water is, not lounge around the pool all day. I don't need all of the "resort amenities" that some feel they need.....if I was interested in that, I would stay home and spend the $20K or more to put in my own pool, or go to one of the resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, instead of driving 220 miles to Mexico....

My kids grew up tent/van/trailer camping at Playa Bonita (my gosh, we even survived for a whole week without tv before I started bringing down my satellite dish!!!)....playing in the water, exploring the rocks when the tide went out, going out to Cholla at low tide, and walking halfway across the bay looking for sand dollars, flying a kite, meeting other kids and their families doing the same, taking a siesta in the heat of the afternoon during the summer, bonfires on the beach at night toasting marshmallows with the newfound friends, and falling asleep on a beach chair watching the stars! After they were in bed....then dad was able to relax with a margarita watching the same stars....and sometimes falling asleep in the same beach chair. Simple pleasures that I consider "priceless"!

But like I said, different strokes for different folks.....

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I do enjoy my trailer by the sea, simple things of life, food and a cold beer too!!

could this be coupers anthem......:

[video=youtube;DNcZ8Nv5EAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNcZ8Nv5EAc[/video]

:eek3:

Last edited:

garyd

The battle between the Trailer People and the Condo People is great reading but can the name on the thread be changed to Las Palomas from Las Palmas as it is unfair to the Las Palmas owners to be getting all this negative press.