Getting Nervous About Labor Day

mis2810

Hi all,

I haven't been posting in a while - this is my busiest time of year at work. But I have been reading.

janetandclint - I'm so sorry I know I have a PM from you and I need to respond!
Rhino - You too! I'll get back to you both soon.

I'm not nervous about violence, I'm nervous about the weather! I've been checking the weather for RP lately and with the heat index there was one day last week that said "Feels like 129 degrees". WTH???????

Is it really that bad down there? The heat index for tomorrow says 115. I can tolerate some humidity but 129???

What's the real scoop?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The real scoop is - it's always like that in August. And yes, HOT! You have two choices - stay in the water or the air conditioning. I'm going to brave it for some fishing. Things are "supposed" to cool down a bit next week.Whether that means 105 instead of 115, who knows.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, there you are, Melissa! I was starting to wonder.... Yea, it's just hot.......I'm still planning on coming, tho.

mis2810

But is it BRUTAL??? On a Hot Scale of 1 to 10, with Fourth of July being about a 6 or 7, where do you rate Labor Day?

Is it really that bad down there? The heat index for tomorrow says 115. I can tolerate some humidity but 129??? What's the real scoop?
Hot, hot, hot. Incredibly hot. Horrendously hot. Run-from-the-car-to-the-building hot. Don't-walk-outside-barefoot hot. Wish-you-had-someone-to-cool-the-car-down-for-you hot. In fact, the only reason I'm still sitting in the office is because I dread getting in that car that's been baking all day just waiting for me.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Now, you guys are gonna scare her.......

Mark, can you give her some idea on her scale? I was a little uncomfortable on 4th of July if I was outside in the sun. It's probably gonna be some hotter than July, unless we catch a break.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
No "ain't skeered" about it, Jedi Jeeper Lady ... it's beyond the toasty of here in Phoenix because of the humidity. I cramped up so bad last year from the heat after being out fishing all day that I thought I was gonna die. No joke, and that was with consuming plenty of fluids all day. I had to go to 8/12 and buy a couple bottles of Pedialyte solution to help relieve the cramping. This year, I plan on drinking plenty of Gatorade the night before AND all day long!

It's a brutal heat and she needs to know what she's in for, especially if she's planning on any outdoor activities at all.

loco

Is it really that bad down there? The heat index for tomorrow says 115. I can tolerate some humidity but 129???

What's the real scoop?
Coming from Phoenix , Ill take whatever heat and humidity Penasco has to dish out, gonna spend lots of time in the water.

mis2810

OMG, I was nervous before and now I'm petrified. I just don't want to be miserable. If I have to stay in the air conditioning all day I might as well stay home and postpone the trip until October. I've been to San Carlos in August before and that was pretty bad, but I would think RP is a bit better because it's a little bit further north? Or is that just wishful thinking.

To me July 4th wasn't that bad. I didn't think it was horrible. That's why I'm trying to compare Labor Day to July 4th.

Last edited:

mis2810

Coming from Phoenix , Ill take whatever heat and humidity Penasco has to dish out, gonna spend lots of time in the water.
Loco - are you saying that you think the heat is worse in Phoenix? I don't mind humidity - for the most part I actually like it because I don't feel like a piece of beef jerky. If there's a breeze off the water that makes it better also. But seriously, when I saw the "Feels like 129", I started to think twice.

It's not so much the temperature, but the humidity. The same 93 degrees that is tolerable in Arizona is almost unbearable in Penasco due to the high humidity. August and September seem to be the most uncomfortable months. However, the comfort (discomfort) index can change from day-to-day, depending on the breeze. Sometimes you get a break in the evening, sometimes you don't.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No Melissa, It's just hot. It's hotter further north. I'm still waiting for Mark to chime in.

mis2810

Well, I just looked at www.wunderground.com for the weather history and it shows that last year during Labor Day the high temp was 91 degrees. That I can handle even with humidity. I'm scared of 105 with 60% or more humidity!

MIRAMAR

There was a hurricane- Jimena - last Labor Day so the temperature was lower than normal, and we didn't get the rain- Kino and San Carlos did.

When I drive down, I watch the outside temperature on the thermometer in my car. At Lukeville, the temperature may be 104 degrees, or so. Approaching Penasco, the temperature drops to around 93, but it is still a killer with the high humidity.