"Glow in the Dark" Waves!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
They are also in Penasco. We've caught them before on the way out to the 51. It was lots of fun! Saw something working on the surface and thought it was baitfish, but as we got closer, we could see tentacles sticking up in the air. We put some treble hook jigs on and could have caught hundreds of them if we wanted, but only took three to use for bait. These were the 3-4 ft. models.

They are some vicious creatures! As you were reeling one up, the others would charge in and attack it. Quite a sight! They huff and puff and change colors and the tentacles are full of sharp meathooks, designed to tear flesh. The mouth is like the beak of a parrot and extremely sharp.

I kept telling the guys I was fishing with not to pull them up out of the water. But, somebody had to find out the hard way. He pulled the squid up and was looking over the side at it and it nailed with a jet stream of water square in the chest that soaked him from head-to-toe! Later, after we put it in the fish box, same guy was poking around at the squid and just as I said "Better leave it alone!", it inked him. By then, the rest of us were laughing hysterically at his misfortune.

This particular school was the single biggest biomass I've ever seen on my depthfinder - the school was down at a 100 feet and extended for nearly a mile. We've commonly had smaller schools of them come in while we're fishing at the 51. As you are dropping your bait, your line will go slack before you even hit bottom. The squid pick it up and devour your bait on the way down. We generally use circle hooks and can't hook them on those, but we know they're squid and they are down there.

And yes, if you fell into a school of them, they will devour you. I read an interesting story about an older Mexican guy that fell off his panga at the East Cape and nearly got eaten alive, still has the scars to prove it. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Also interesting is that these things are increasing in range. In the 1950's, they weren't even in the Sea of Cortez at all. They now catch them as far north as Washington and Alaska, which was unheard of just a decade ago. They completely devour bait schools and there is worry of them starving out the pelagics and other fish (salmon) that would normally feed on those bait schools. Although not proven, the best theory for their expansion is that the squid's natural predators (large tuna, sharks, billfish, etc.) have been so depleted that the squid population can no longer be kept in check and will keep expanding in its search for food.

The squid are evil and must die!!! :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Happy Birthday, Stuart!

Are these the same squid we eat??? Like Calamari?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Happy Birthday, Stuart!

Are these the same squid we eat??? Like Calamari?
Not really. The more commonly-used squid in restaurants for calamari are the small California white squid that us fishermen refer to as "candy squid." They are very soft and tender. However, I have eaten the Humboldt squid - tends to be kind of tough and chewy. You can carve some nice steaks about an inch thick out of the body meat, but you need to beat it like crazy with a tendering hammer, otherwise it's pretty rubbery.

Old Mexican recipe for preparing Humboldt squid:
1. Cut several large steaks out of the body.
2. Soak in lime juice, cilantro, and chiles overnight.
3. Lay steaks on the street and run over them repeatedly with your truck.
4. Remove the tire from the truck, warm the tire on the grill, then eat it.

I have seen the Humboldts for sale at Lee-Lee market and one Chinese buffet we frequent also serves them, but again, they are a lot tougher than the typical calamari rings or pieces served in most restaurants.

In Baja, they use an old mop ringer to tenderize the squid steaks!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
OMG! I never heard of them eating people.:eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:
No? This link is from July in California. Nobody got eaten, but several divers were attacked.

I think it's time for a new "Jaws" movie named "Beaks." Takes place in California, people are mysteriously disappearing at the beach, and a local fisherman discovers that the mother of all Humboldt squid is the one attacking and eating the people. Of course, he and a marine biologist embark on a mission in small fishing boat to catch and kill the beast.

The signature line for our classic remake will be: "I think we're gonna need a bigger bowl of marinara!!"

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:--bhc1zczw0J:beach.freedomblogging.com/2009/07/17/divers-using-caution-as-giant-squid-attack-underwater/14175/+humboldt+squid+attack&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just got back from kayaking and snorkel\free diving between pelican point and punto caballo, and the water was crystal clear and the temp was perfect...

when we put in and started paddling from the ramp in cholla we didn't get 50 feet and we saw a sea turtle... and the man with the camera (me) forgot to put a memory card in it...

I think I better check my memory card... it may be worn out... that means I'll have to do this all over again tomorrow...

and I didn't see any giant squid...

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
The internet is amazing! I learned more than I wanted to today about these squid. I didn't even know what they looked like before today. I thought they looked like octopuses before. Guess I'll stay out of deep water, unless I'm in a boat.
:sad::boat: