Going to Rocky Point July2nd and need REAL info on safety...

J

jneane

I currently live in Arizona and plan on going to Rocky Point July 2-6 and I keep hearing its not safe for people with Arizona Plates to go to Mexico... Could someone please le me know if it is safe? I never been to Rocky Point before but the guy I am going with has been there many times but not in the past 3 years, and I know it has changed somewhat. I can't seem to get any valid information on the safety of crossing the border. Thank you for any information you can give me. :)

mis2810

Well Known Member
The regulars around here (of which I am not) will surely back me up when I say there is NOTHING to worry about just because you have Arizona plates on your car. I was just down there May 13-17, and I'm going back again for the July 4th weekend. No problems whatsoever.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I just spent last weekend down there and had no problems whatsoever. Felt safe as always.

S

Submarine

I would advise you to search and read over the forum reports of carjackings in Sonoyta in December, truck thefts in February-April, mulitple truck shootouts in Sonoyta and the ambushing of the Police Chief in Puerto Penasco last weekend. Ignore the typical forum politics and make up your own mind. Everyone has their own risk tolerance and everywhere you go has inherent dangers. We haven't had any reports of cars with AZ plates being targeted for any reason.

Also read through Rosy's news reports about the above events on www.rockypointnewsonline.com

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
I currently live in Arizona and plan on going to Rocky Point July 2-6 and I keep hearing its not safe for people with Arizona Plates to go to Mexico... Could someone please le me know if it is safe? I never been to Rocky Point before but the guy I am going with has been there many times but not in the past 3 years, and I know it has changed somewhat. I can't seem to get any valid information on the safety of crossing the border. Thank you for any information you can give me. :)
Jneane,

Valid information on the safety issue is readily available. There is no reason to think that Arizona plates in Mexico would be targeted. Most Mexicans here are driving cars with Arizona plates. For what its worth, there have been no incidents of attacks on Americans (or Canadians) in RP. No matter how hard you look, you'll find that life here is proceeding as normally as possible.

FastEddy stopped by the office this morning and said the drive between Sonoyta and Penasco was totally uneventful. No checkpoint anymore, either.

J

jneane

Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.... I have mixed feelings now. oh well, I will just give my kids an extra hug and kiss just incase I decide to go, and don't come back. :?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I just arrived at home in Tucson, left PP at around 10 am, I must say I was quite happy to see large amounts of cars from USA, mainly AZ license plates, heading down to Rocky Point, I hope people is getting the idea that RP is as safe as anywhere they can go, even their own home town.
There where no checkpoints anywhere in the route, however as we were leaving Mayan Palace entrance a convoy of 3 police pick-up trucks and 2 military trucks were heading tobards Caborca, other than that it was a very uneventfull and normal trip back home!!.
Hot, very hot in Sells Shell gas station!!.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.... I have mixed feelings now. oh well, I will just give my kids an extra hug and kiss just incase I decide to go, and don't come back. :?
Every response you got, even Submarine's (well, as much as can be...for Sub) was logical and sensible. Why do you have mixed feelings? And why would you think you might not make it back? Not a single person on this forum has ever lost a loved one in Rocky Point. Even those lurking. I think if they had, they'd have said so by now. I will tell you that right now Las Palomas is packed. I would worry most about swimming in that pool with all those kids. Don't trust them not to pee in it.

beachgirl

Well Known Member
Although we haven't been down since the chief of police and his guard were shot, we were down twice in May/June (totally uneventful) and will be going down next Tuesday. We feel totally safe in RP. The only thing I might suggest is to do what we did last trip down if you're uncomfortable with the drive after the border (which is rather desolate)..............hook up with someone who's going down the same time as you. A lot of times, there is someone in Why at one of the gas stations who's headed that way if you can't find anyone anywhere else. (That trip, a newbie on here is who we hooked up with, as they were nervous.........we met them in Three Points, they followed us down, and all was good and well!! Do your research and please, please don't make it sound like it's going to be your last trip................there are many more to come!!!!!!!!!!!!

beachgirl

Well Known Member
My biggest concern, right now really, is the place having no beer on the fifth!! The day after Memorial Day, we had to hunt beer down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore, we will stock up just in case. Hey Rosie and Terry, is there an election that weekend???????????? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

jneane

Every response you got, even Submarine's (well, as much as can be...for Sub) was logical and sensible. Why do you have mixed feelings? And why would you think you might not make it back? Not a single person on this forum has ever lost a loved one in Rocky Point. Even those lurking. I think if they had, they'd have said so by now. I will tell you that right now Las Palomas is packed. I would worry most about swimming in that pool with all those kids. Don't trust them not to pee in it.
Was kinda joking about not making it back... Your right if it was really unsafe to go, I am sure there would be people on here saying so. Yeah not staying in Las Palomas, LOL! funny. thinking about Sonoran Sun.

Thanks again for everyones advice and responses. Looks like I will be going. :)

beachgirl

Well Known Member
It's nice to hear that, you'll have a great time!! (Positive thinking works so much better than the alternative!!) And you're welcome Rosy...........just trying to keep a sense of humor!!!!!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
You are too funny, Julie! You too, Rosie! The only thing that's going to kill me next weekend is the heat!:shock::shock::shock::shock:

mis2810

Well Known Member
You are too funny, Julie! You too, Rosie! The only thing that's going to kill me next weekend is the heat!:shock::shock::shock::shock:
You think it's really going to be that bad? I figure it's damn hot in Phoenix, if I'm going to be hot, I met as well be at the beach. The humidity here in Phoenix this morning was BAD.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I live here in Phx too, mis2810. Have been here since 1966. The older I get, the worse it is. I have never spent July 4th in PP. It'll either kill me or cure me but I am coming! I have something very important that I need to do......