Grouper fishing this past weekend April 20-22

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Went down last weekend and had another great trip catching big grouper... we boated several, ranging from 35 to 90 pounds and had many more than that released themselves (and our gear) on the rocks. Dave even had something gi-normous break his pole into a million splinters.

We lost the steering on the boat about 10 miles out (blown hydraulic cylinder)- that was fun; and then the Navy pulled up to check our papers while I was MacGuyvering a manual steering workaround. They were cool, and they actually gave us a roll of duct tape to assist in our jerry-rigged steering solution. For the rest of the day, Trent sat in back and steered, while I ran the throttles and gave him hand signals from the helm.

The fishing was very sporadic- we caught a few early at the low tide (about 8:00am), including an awesome triple hook up where we all got nailed at the same time (landed 2 out of 3) and then the bite went stone cold at 9:00 and we caught nothing until the afternoon tide change at 3:00, when they started hitting again and kept biting until we left for port at about 6:00pm.

Between 5:00 and 6:00 we boated the two biggest monsters of the day, and broke off at least 5 other toads. We figured that since so many large fish were biting so aggressively right near dusk that they might have been in a spawning aggregation, so we drove away from the bite to let them do their business... besides we didn't want to be out after dark with our limited steering maneuverability.

The water was awesome- even with our one-human power manual steering, we were still able to run 35 both ways.

Still waiting for the pics to show up so I can post a few, but you all know what big Grouper look like, right?

jerry

jerry-rig

To fix an object (usually mechanical) to a working condition in a haphazard way. Also known as doing a MacGyver on it. This can apply to any non working thing, to fix it in a nonconventional way. This term was created during WW2, in reference to the Germans who were referred to as "Jerries" as slang. Allies often came across hastily repaired objects left by the Germans hence the term Jerry-Rig

Kenny

jerry-rig

To fix an object (usually mechanical) to a working condition in a haphazard way. Also known as doing a MacGyver on it. This can apply to any non working thing, to fix it in a nonconventional way. This term was created during WW2, in reference to the Germans who were referred to as "Jerries" as slang. Allies often came across hastily repaired objects left by the Germans hence the term Jerry-Rig
My dad and others who were in the European theater not only used that term, but a few other that were not so, let's say, politically correct when referring to the Germans.

Last edited:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I think I prefer the term "unconventional" as opposed to "haphazard".

If I chose to leave my boat the way it is now, I'm quite certain it could be steered this way for the rest of it's natural life; but, since I have a steering wheel at the helm, it will probably be more worthwhile for me to spend the 30 bucks on a cylinder rebuild kit and hook it back up.

jerry

I think I prefer the term "unconventional" as opposed to "haphazard".

If I chose to leave my boat the way it is now, I'm quite certain it could be steered this way for the rest of it's natural life; but, since I have a steering wheel at the helm, it will probably be more worthwhile for me to spend the 30 bucks on a cylinder rebuild kit and hook it back up.
Well that's what Gilligan thought and look how that turned out.

Roberto

Hit some flotsome on the Hudson River just off Manhatten many years ago and broke the steering. Fireboat pulled us into the battery park and we rigged a piece of rebar into the exhaust of the transom, bent so I could sit nearby and steer. Lots of fun that, it worked got us back toi Nyack.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Hit some flotsome on the Hudson River just off Manhatten many years ago and broke the steering. Fireboat pulled us into the battery park and we rigged a piece of rebar into the exhaust of the transom, bent so I could sit nearby and steer. Lots of fun that, it worked got us back toi Nyack.
It's a good thing you didn't have Jerry with you... he would have been convinced you were going to end up shipwrecked on a south pacific island with two hot chicks, as if that would have been some sort of problem.

What type of papers did the navy ask for? I assume fishing licenses , anything else?
ZigZags... while kayaking one time a couple years ago I saw two navy guys sitting on the rocks at west end of the navy base and they were passing a cigarette back and forth and looking kinda happy...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I heard the Navy was out there this weekend from other sources.

Lemme know if you need help with your seals. Courtesy of Audi, I have a purge machine for the Seastar system. I'll be down this Friday. Grouper beware; I won't catch a damn thing but my grouper killing wife will be with me.