Grouper Video

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
a clip from the last 2 minutes of the fight with the 88 pounder I caught a few weeks back...

No farts in this one :lol:, just a couple cuss words.

Ummmm, AZRob- notice no fighting belt? That's how WE roll.... :har: (just teasin)

Man, watching a video of yourself catching a fish, while sitting at your desk at work, actually sucks big time.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Sweet. Very nice fish! :gradea:

Protip: You almost farmed him on the gaff, dude. Don't be such a He-man and get another set of hands on that gaff when you get ready to hoist 'em over the side... especially when you've just finished fighting the fish!

PS - Gaffs break. Don't make me post the 16/0 circle hook through the hand picture!

And yes, I wear a belt. It's called "leverage" and is a fact of science I still can't convince Connie of, either. She doesn't wear a belt, but does wear the bruises for a couple of weeks!
:puff:

AZ ROB

Ummmm, AZRob- notice no fighting belt? That's how WE roll.... :har: (just teasin)

Didnt ask for the belt they just put it on.. Wait till you see the video from the fish I catch this weekend... All Muscle no belt..

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I wear a belt. It's called "leverage" and is a fact of science I still can't convince Connie of, either. She doesn't wear a belt, but does wear the bruises for a couple of weeks!

Is this the same Connie who has her new book "How to Outfish your Husband (and still get him to clean the boat afterward)" in its final edit before publishing?:stir:

Ummm yeah- I'm with her. :smile:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Wait till you see the video from the fish I catch this weekend... All Muscle no belt..
Now That's what I'm talkin about.... no gaff either- just reel the tip-top guide right up to his nose, and sling him over the rail.... That's how I'm gonna boat my next big fish.

I see those guys on Wicked Tuna throw those harpoons at the fish's head- maybe I'll try that, too.

Didnt ask for the belt they just put it on.. Wait till you see the video from the fish I catch this weekend... All Muscle no belt..
Rob... let's just dive in and bite their asses until they jump into the boat just to get away from us...

Hooch

Man I have never gotton to fish from a boat down there its always shore fishing :( that must be awesome

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Man I have never gotton to fish from a boat down there its always shore fishing :( that must be awesome
It's all fun and games until you hook a bad boy that snaps 135 lb. test roller guide rod and 150 lb. spectra line as if it were a toothpick with dental floss. Seadweller now knows this sad saga!
:boat:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Rob... let's just dive in and bite their asses until they jump into the boat just to get away from us...
HEY, HEY!

What you two do with your fish in the privacy of your own bedroom is nobody else's business... But please stop putting that image in my head.

:eek:strich:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
When is the Robert Moore meet and greet autograph session? You sir are quickly becoming a Rocky Point Hero!!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Sweet. Very nice fish! :gradea:

Protip: You almost farmed him on the gaff, dude. Don't be such a He-man and get another set of hands on that gaff when you get ready to hoist 'em over the side... especially when you've just finished fighting the fish!

PS - Gaffs break. Don't make me post the 16/0 circle hook through the hand picture!

And yes, I wear a belt. It's called "leverage" and is a fact of science I still can't convince Connie of, either. She doesn't wear a belt, but does wear the bruises for a couple of weeks!

Hey Stu-

Last night I saw some video that Ted shot of Dennis catching a similar sized fish when you guys fished with him down in Lobos... That was a really nice pig as well...

I wish Lobos was about 30 miles closer over the water.... :gofishing:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
When is the Robert Moore meet and greet autograph session? You sir are quickly becoming a Rocky Point Hero!!
Oh cut it out...

I'm easy to spot when I'm in Rocky Point - I'm either at Safe Marina, or the Circle K Pemex near the marina filling the boat with gas, or I'm at Mary's on the Malecon enjoying shrimp cocktails and cerveza, or at Capones enjoying pizza and cerveza...

Sometimes I run out to JJ's just to re-hash some of my college day memories of Cholla Bay.

I might be down this Saturday to fish on Sunday. Still watching the weather forecast.

Fishing-wise, I've been fishing the ocean and runinng boats since I was 14, but some of the techniques necessary for dealing with the tides, etc, in the SOC were so foreign to me that if weren't for Wally's book, combined with the advice and the lessons learned by watching guys like Ric, Doug, Dan, Stu, Shawno, Art, and Ted, I'd still be out there catching triggers and breaking off the big fish.

Those are the guys that really deserve the :notworthy:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I've got the range and the speed to get there quickly, given decent water. It's 90 miles one way. We should go and overnight it on my boat before it gets too hot. Then again, if we wait until it does get a bit warmer, we've got a great shot at roosters right along the beach on spinning tackle, too. And troll for dorado and billfish on the way back. So, even if the grouper don't cooperate, there's plenty of other willing players!

Decisions, decisions.

PS - I posted a link to your grouper video over on THT; the guys there said congrats and thanks!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I've got the range and the speed to get there quickly, given decent water. It's 90 miles one way. We should go and overnight it on my boat before it gets too hot. Then again, if we wait until it does get a bit warmer, we've got a great shot at roosters right along the beach on spinning tackle, too. And troll for dorado and billfish on the way back. So, even if the grouper don't cooperate, there's plenty of other willing players!

Yeah, I would be down for that, especially once the summer surface activity heats up. I'm jonesin for a shot at a sail or a larger dorado.

I've got a friend that could probably come and take his share of the gas bill as well.

I ran my fuel consumption numbers the other night with my new props, and my burn rate is down to 11 gal/hour at 4000rpm running 26mph, which is almost 3mpg.

When I kick it up to my preferred cruise speed of 30-32mph around 4600rpm, I'm still good for about 2.5mpg at 14gph.

So, I might be able to do Lobos and back on less than 100 gallons now, but the downside with the center console is that it can be a long, wet 90 miles if the seas come up.

Now that the coastal highway is done I need to make the run down there and see if the roads are nice enough to drag the sled down behind me.

RIC

Caught it on a scampi jig.............i love it! Way to do it old school style.

As far as fighting belts go, i always say to skip them. I have seen more grouper lost in the second or so it takes to stop and get the rod in place than from any other cause. Either take the bruise but get the fish or fight them from the rod holder.

Ric

Rics Rocky point fishing home page