Help out the Animal Rescue in RP

L

Leenie

Hi everyone,

I just got 15 bags of cat food (50lbs each) donated to me to help the Animal rescue in RP. The only problem is I need help getting them all down there. Would some of you be willing to pick up a bag or two of cat food from me and drop it off at Nancy Phelams place? I can meet you at anyone the west valley I-10 exits. As we all know we can only take so much across the border each time so if someone is willing to help out, the animals of rocky point and me would sure be greatfull.
PM me of you are willing to help me out.

Here's a link to her website if anyone wants anymore info
http://www.rpaac.org

i am heading down for the 4th weekend. However, i am east valley and go through maricopa. message me and maybe we can work something out.

A

azbeachboy

I'm in Tucson and could meet you in Why Friday morning?

L

Leenie

Thanks for being so willing to help me out. You guys are great, I really mean that. :razz: If anyone else is willing let me know. I am willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the valley to drop off a bag or two to someone who is willing to take the bags to Mexico

Last edited by a moderator:

cholla

Well Known Member
We are heading down Fri. the 3rd, and could meet you at one of the west I-10 exits. Will probably leave Phx around noon.

John 602-568-5711

L

Leenie

Again thank everyone for their willingness to help. Nancy who runs tha animal shelter just emailed and she will arrange to pick up the food in phoenix on monday and is able to take the entire load down!!! As a result I wont be needing transportation help with the cat food.
Again thanks to everyone who was willing to help the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmcauley

Well Known Member
That doesn't mean you shouldn't bring dog and cat food anyways. Nancy can always use a hand.

wow that's cool I wish someone would donate a bunch of school supplies like that and help out the kids in the barrios...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There is also Red and Terry's animal rescue in Cholla Mall. They have helped a lot of people with dogs that are rescued off the streets rehabilitated and then adopted out. I am sure they could use some help too.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
wow that's cool I wish someone would donate a bunch of school supplies like that and help out the kids in the barrios...
If you wish to donate school supplies, I will be happy to see that the poorest of children in Penasco get them. I go out to the outlying areas frequently to visit children that I've "adopted".

Also, last weekend I went by the Women's Rehab Center. There are some girls there as young as 14 & 15. They are allowed to watch movies, but only those with a Christian theme. They make knit scarves, hats, gloves, etc. to sell, so yarn would probably be good if anyone is interested.

Francisco Grijalva, who with his wife has the little restaurant El Asadero El Real on Luis Encinas, wants books to read in English. He prefers the classics.

At the prison they keep parakeets, but they only have one cage so the birds are all crowded in. If anyone has a birdcage or 2, that would be great.

Thank you to all of you!

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Helping Out in Rocky Point-Francisco Hernandez

For many, many years, my mother, and then my sister, authorized our property manager, Francisco Hernandez, to offer free housing at our home in Las Conchas to certain church groups who help build houses for the poor in Penasco. (see our posting on the Larry Large Foundation website under Health-Francisco). Since he has now "claimed" that our house has really been his for the last 20 years, it appears that he has been charging them all along, but telling us they were staying for free. All the help my Mom ever provided to the community of Rocky Point, thinking he was HELPING her do so, is now being used against her family.

So, this is just a caution to BE CAREFUL...know who you are "helping," who is "helping" you, and what they may feel entitled to in return!

There is also a persistent rumor that personal items brought down for "donation" to needy people were sold for profit from a particular warehouse instead...we are still looking in to that.

Please know that I have heard wonderful things about Nancy and her love for the animals...and they certainly need someone to love them. I personally know of people who have adopted a dog and it turned out great!

For many, many years, my mother, and then my sister, authorized our property manager, Francisco Hernandez, to offer free housing at our home in Las Conchas to certain church groups who help build houses for the poor in Penasco. (see our posting on the Larry Large Foundation website under Health-Francisco). Since he has now "claimed" that our house has really been his for the last 20 years, it appears that he has been charging them all along, but telling us they were staying for free. All the help my Mom ever provided to the community of Rocky Point, thinking he was HELPING her do so, is now being used against her family.

So, this is just a caution to BE CAREFUL...know who you are "helping," who is "helping" you, and what they may feel entitled to in return!

There is also a persistent rumor that personal items brought down for "donation" to needy people were sold for profit from a particular warehouse instead...we are still looking in to that.

Please know that I have heard wonderful things about Nancy and her love for the animals...and they certainly need someone to love them. I personally know of people who have adopted a dog and it turned out great!

my wife Barbara and I have been doing our Adopt-A-Classroom charity for six years all with the help of the local merchants and business that are listed as our sponsors on our website http://www.rockypointclassroom.com/thanks.html we are not part of any other foundations

we try to organize events http://www.rockypointclassroom.com/promo.html to raise donations of school supplies and or money to purchase goods that the superintendent and principals of the schools asks for.

we feel the only ones entitled to gain from our efforts are the children... because they are all entitled to an equal chance for a good education.

L

Leenie

There is so much good that is and can be done down there. The animal shelters always need pet food, cat litter, cleaning supplies, and puppy and kitten milk replacers. When I talked to Nancy she said she goes through 150 pounds of cat food a week! Not only does she feed the cats she has she also shares the food with the community. Many families rely on her for their pet food. Without this many other animals would be turned out by their owners as they could not afford to feed them. In the future if anyone has supplies they would like to donate in the pheonix area I will be more than glad to pick them up and stransport them.

As for the adopt a classroom, each Costco has their own monthly donation allotment. If you bring a letter in on "official" letterhead at lest one month before you need the donation Costco will generally give a $25 cash card that you can use to buy as many school supplies as you can with the money. Charities that benefit children and schools are generally first in line. Be sure to talk to the marketing manager which is often the membership manager as well (make sure its the manager not the supervisor). Get to know them and donations are easier to get. The marketing manager makes the calls on who gets the donations not the wharehouse manager.

I worked in marketing and membership for 10 years and the donations just take persistance to get. Their budget is limited and requests are many but they try to help out where they can.

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Do they wear street clothes in Prison? I have some mens clothes I would like to donate!
They absolutely do wear street clothes and would be grateful for any donations. My brother-in-law travels alot and brings me the little hotel toiletries (shampoos, conditioners, soaps) those are excellent for both the prison and rehab centers.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Helping Out in Rocky Point-Francisco Hernandez

Nice websites, Seadweller. It is clear who you are and what you do. All the relevant information is at the user's fingertips.

Also, Nancy and the shelter have such a great reputation in the community and she is very clear about her mission in her postings on various websites.

The website that still offers our property in Las Conchas for rent (without our permission), however, does not indicate the parties involved, a name to contact or, any other information with which to identify the company profile. Following is a link to their website - our house in listed under Las Conchas....anybody have any information who these people are?
http://penascobeachgroup.com/lasconchasenglish.htm

We admit to making the mistake of trusting someone enough not to thoroughly check him out...you all put it out their TO BE CHECKED. Good job.

Jim

Well Known Member
I had the pleasure of meeting Mark (AKA seadweller) today. He is the real deal. If he (you Mark) ever want a charity thing at the bar - no problem. His friend Ed will be selling Penascos best (really!) hamburgers and ribs outside the Camel Toe. (But if you want a beer you have to come inside) ... ;)

Wow Thanks Jim, we will take you up on that offer I'm sure... and I hope everyone will stop in to try one of Eddies burgers or ribs... and don't forget to stop inside the Camel Toe for a libation or two or three....

But I need to apollogize for getting us off the topic of Nancys care center for the animals with my comment about donations of school supplies...

Thanks again Jim... now I need to see if I can do something about this instant and rapid swelling of my head...

L

Leenie

If a thread manages to move slightly off topic and still encourages people to help out than it was totally worth going off topic. It is so nice to see that so many people are out there working to help people or animals that are less fortunate than themselves. I will personally be keeping an eye out for items or opportunites to help several of the other causes that have been mentioned here.

thanks again everyone for your willingness to help. IN the future I hope I can return the favor! I would totally eat a yummy hamburger for charity!!!:p:D:sunny::cool: