Hi-Jacking

fasteddy

Got this from a friend this morning anybody else hear anything?

"Hi guys;
Just wanted to make you aware that a friend of mine at work told me this morning that her neighbors went to Rocky Point yesterday afternoon. When they crossed the border into Sonota and just on the edge of town on your way out they were hi-jacked at 2:30 in the afternoon by 6 guys at gun point. It was a husband and wife, they tried to take the husband, but someone saw them, so they booked and stole the truck, everything in it and their wallets.
Trying to find out if they went the back way through town or the main street to see exactly where they got hi-jacked.

BEWARE and BE SAFE. Please pass to our other Rocky Point friends."

Not saying that this is true or untrue....but it's one of those "a friend of someone at works' friend's neighbor".....

Maybe Rosy has some info on it.....

T

toesinthesand

Any News?

Hi,

I'm a woman travelling alone to RP next week so this has me freaked out. Any news on its truth? Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been with friends a couple of times and it seems so safe and easy that I thought I could do it myself.

Any advice?

Thanks!

beleive this to be a falsehood unless it is proven with names and accurate accounts sounds like someone is trying to start somnething. have been going down for 17 years and never any problems

Hi,

I'm a woman travelling alone to RP next week so this has me freaked out. Any news on its truth? Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been with friends a couple of times and it seems so safe and easy that I thought I could do it myself.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Hey toesinthesand (BTW...that's one of current favorite songs....Toes...Zac Brown Band..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94NyCDBGhk)..... I wouldn't be concerned until someone posts some concrete info on the "supposed" hijaaking.....

I don't put my head in the sand when it comes to violence in Mexico, but the location mentioned seems highly unlikely for a "hijaaking" during daylight (or even nighttime)....you're moving pretty fast by then, and who's going to stand out in the middle of the road to try to stop another vehicle....there is usually pretty decent traffic in both directions that time of day too on the outskirts of Sonoita.....

There are "feelers" out to try to verify the info....just keeping checking this Forum....

Last edited:
T

toesinthesand

Thanks sanjorge george and rockyptjoe! I don't believe it either but it made me a little nervous. I don't leave until Tues. so I'll keep an eye out on the board.

off to check out the video...thanks!

Jim

I just talked to a friend who is a Federal Police Officer and he said no way. He said that he would have heard something if it were true. Just another bogus rumor I guess. I've heard so many that it makes me sick.

I haven't heard anything about a hi-jacking. Barb just took our friend to the DR. in Ajo on Wed. and they do this every month without any concern. We are asking around to the locals we know to see if there are any reports on the local news.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
My sister, mother (prior to her death) and I have been going down alone (I come from Colorado, they from California) for over 40 years. NEVER had any problems BUT...keep in mind the same thing you would in the States: Stay aware of your surroundings, ALWAYS have a plan, e.g. what would you do if....(enter scenario here).
Tell people where you will be; have an "attitude" that says "don't mess with me" etc.

Not just because you are in Mexico; especially women need to practice these behaviors wherever they are. The NRA offers a great safety course...let me know if you want any information.

Now...go to Rocky Point and have a GREAT time!

Sheryl

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I've seen or heard nothing on this, unless it's something that happened a long time ago. If it had happened recently, are you kidding me? It would be all over the news with the way the media likes to promote fear and hype about going to Mexico.

Go, have a good time. You are more likely to have a Mexican stop and offer the shirt off his back to help you than you are to be robbed or hijacked.

fasteddy

glad you guys have responded the way you have. I am always skeptical of
"a friend of a friend said" my wife on the other hand believes everything she hears.
Ed

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I've been driving alone to Rocky Point off and on for over 35 years. I've only had trouble with other Americans. Go and have fun!

T

toesinthesand

Exactly! I have that attitude Sheryl, but I got a little freaked when I read that post. I don't knowingly put myself in a bad situation.

But I went last weekend with friends and really paid attention. It's a no-brainer, a wonderful place to go. And the fact that it is empty and everyone is scared to go is a real shame. I don't want the place overrun but I tell everyone that they are foolish to stay away. Just media hype and fear!

Thank you!

Jim

I and my friends will never post bad information for the promotion or "good feeling" of Penasco. I love it here but if something bad happens, I'll tell it like it is. Penasco has gotten a very bad rap for no reason and is pisses me off. That doesn't mean that I won't be honest.

ernesto

Anyone hear the one a couple months ago about the guys caught at the border trying to smuggle drugs hidden in a dead teenage girl's body? yeah right.

cheatka

Just borrow a big dog to sit next to you, 9 times out of 10 they won't even pull you over for the little check point on the other side. Dog as in canine