hunting in Sonora

C

castaway

plan way ahead...the gun permits take time and are tricky requiring the people in Mexico that know the process. Even with the right permits the local police can get very edgy about the guns. We always kept ours in possession of the guides unless we were actually hunting even though we had all our permits in order.

That said... like a lot of things, hunting is more fun in Mexico, for one of the reason you refer to...there isn't a guy with a gun behind every tree.

C

castaway

another plus for hunting in this area is that the guides that are known locally are treated in high regard anyplace you want to go in the evening after a long day...

C

castaway

PitiquitoRosy said:
I just received a press release from the State of Sonora regarding hunting here. I am working on a report to be published either next Wednesday or the one following (blatant ploy to get you to visit my website, I know...sorry). http://www.rockypointnewsonline.com
do you plan on covering the pros and cons in the common use of bird boys?

"do you plan on covering the pros and cons in the common use of bird boys?"

The report will begin with the general information provided by the state of Sonora and then go on to give detailed information about the prices, locations, facilities, and services of the various hunting ranches here. I'm not a hunter and don't know what a bird boy is, but do hope that articles like the one we're doing will bring those of you with experience and thoughts and preferences on the subject into a dialogue.

I would love to go off and do the kind of reporting that would take me to visit these places and then I would know these things firsthand...but I do have a day job selling Mexican insurance.

P.S. I know I screwed up the quote-thing...I'll figure it out sooner or later.

jerry

There is an outfit South of Puerto Lobos that sets up hunts for Sheep from boats.Sounds sort of chickenshit to me.

Kenny

jerry said:
There is an outfit South of Puerto Lobos that sets up hunts for Sheep from boats.Sounds sort of chickenshit to me.

It sure doe's Jerry. :eek: I don't think Sheep can swim very fast or far. :(

Kenny

Hey! Are you trying to collide my worlds? Can't you see I'm wearing my Paparazzi cap? We can go back to talking about my ass after I've met my deadline. Poor Lulu doesn't even realize she is becoming fodder!

E

El Feo

jerry said:
Take care with this one. The sheep in that area have some very sophsticated armored boats. They also have this erie atonal bleating they do when in battle, sort of like bagpipe music. Makes the hair stand up on my neck just thinking about it.

C

castaway

Birdboys for hire chase downed game birds in Mexico the same way hunters use dogs in the states and elsewhere. It is not uncommon for them to take some friendly fire now and then.

It's understood that the penalty for such a transgression as hitting a birdboy would be medical expenses and compensation if permanent injury results.

We report, you decide...

Kenny

Nope, Mexico Dove Hunting Day One

Upon your arrival into Los Mochis or El Fuerte airport, you will be met by a company representative. From there, you will be taken to the Lake Dominguez Lodge in El Fuerte.

Mexico Dove Hunting Days Two through Four

Rise early in the morning and enjoy a hearty breakfast at the Lodge. Your guide and good lunch and a short rest, you will proceed to one of the many retention basins for your afternoon hunt. After your hunt, you will return to the lodge where your bird boys will clean and freeze your birds for you to take home while you enjoy the evening meal bird boy will be waiting and you will be taken to the milo fields for your morning hunt. Depending on the action, you will pack up around 11:00 and return to the lodge. After a and a few beers or margaritas.

After your last day of hunting, you will board one of our air-conditioned vans for transportation to Lake Huites. Upon arrival, supper will be awaiting you.

Well whatdýa know? I am going to have to work that into the article! Cool. Anything else I should know? And now you'll try to tell me about the sheep, again, huh?