Interested in the facts, not the drama, bs or anyone's personal agenda

InkaRoads

cronopiador
in a side note my wife and 15 year old daughter drove in from Tucson an arrived at RP at 10 pm, yes they drove at night but we trully do not believe the exagerated stories you hear in the USA papers, specially the ones that Jerry posts links to!! LOL

gringa

Well the route here for me sort of meandered around a bit. I grew up in the Appalachian Mt.s and moved to NY at 17, on my own. Like to say I grew up there! What with being at one University or another accumulating degrees and three different careers, I've been truly blessed. I was in NY for about 8 years, worked at a NIMH regional research center. Manhatten is an incredible place. Actually moved here from New Mexico.
Looks like meandering is a good thing, Roberto! And moving to NYC @ 17 must have been some adventure, too! And to Old Mexico from New Mexico? V. poetic, indeed, and a great choice! Thanks for sharing your story :)

gringa

Trailer Trash T-shirts? I **love** it!

Need to figure out how to become an honorary "trailer trasher".

I was tent trash many, many moons ago, in my college days when we were too broke to afford a trailer and have not yet been a cooper.
Nowadays, we usually stay at Penasco del Sol or at our friends sand shack in Cholla Bay, so not sure what that makes us, but thrilled to be part of this wonderful (and sociable!) community, so thanks for the warm welcome!

Love it here and looking forward to meeting many of you soon!

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the great info!
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

xoxo

gringa

Hi dwig222,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this post. We echo your sentiment, which is why we posted our initial question, and are thrilled that you have found the replies to be helpful, too!

We're thinking of heading down v. soon, too, and are hoping to connect with some of the fine folks on this forum. Would love to catch up with you someday, too!

And, like you, so we can be in the know and avoid the "known drug areas", I am hopeful that Chari will be able to provide some additional info when she has a moment. It would be good info to know so we don't accidentially wander into the wrong area.

Thanks again for your reply and enjoy your next trip to RP :) .

Safe travels!

gringa

Live here full time and have never seen any trouble personally. Just drove from here to Mazatlan and back, stayed in Hermosillo, Novojoa, Los Mochis and Mazatlan, again no problems just friendly people and great sights. Came back and crossed the border to pick up mail, no troubles on either side. Come on down.

Thanks Mel! Another full-timer (we are so envious of all of you!)
Really appreciate your post, too, and happy to know all went well with your trip!

We'll be down soon...and given the restaurant post, it seems like Ramons will be on our agenda!

Thanks again and "talk" to you soon!

gringa

...As I said, we have never encountered a problem with the exception of our car being keyed pretty bad.
Oh, and so sorry to hear about your car :( but if that's the worst that's ever happened, that's not too bad. Even tho it's terrible in and of itself, the same (or worse) could have happened anywhere I guess and happy that it won't keep you away.

gringa

I guess by the time my folks came down From Torrance in 55/56 you guy's already had the best camping spot picked out.LOL My dad had heard about Cholla Bay from some of the wild boy's who worked with him at Hugh's ( they camped at Sandy), so they strapped on a bunch of Jerry cans to my Uncles Teddy's Woody for fuel and water, hooked up the old boat, then kissed us kids goodbye and set on out. Us kids didn't get to go until the next year, and by then we'd moved to Phoenix. We stayed in those hut's at Nachos, and it was one great adventure after another.
Kenny, between you El Gato and LadyJeeper, I could listen to these stories all day!
Thanks so much for sharing them!
These histories and memories are priceless :)

gringa

We used to go crabbing and clamming at Choya Bay when no one else was there (of course always got stuck in the sand a time or two). When we first came there was basically just the old port and the Rocky Hotel. By the early 60's we were camping (and staying at) the Playa Hermosa - the beach stretched in a beautiful curve - nothing else on it. This was before they dredged the harbor and when the tide went out it went waaay out. Shrimp boats had stilts on them to prop them. You came and went according to the tides as you couldn't get in or out of the harbor if the tide was out. When we first came down it was basically only a place the avid fishermen came - they didn't bring their families. Ah, all the memories lol
YAY! More wonderful stories! These are such a treat! Thanks so much for sharing, El Gato!
I wonder if there is an official RP historian? Or a historical society?

gringa

As long as we're posting pictures. The picure of the girls on the Burro is Rosie's, can you tell which one she is? One picture show's very clearly what the harbor looked like before it was dredged.
Oh WOW, Kenny! These are great! Thanks so much for posting! Any more? Please keep them coming!
(thinking that maybe I should change the name of this post to better reflect all the great info/content here!)

gringa

More great stories, Marjie! Thanks!
And thanks for the restaurant recs...I think we're gonna ck out Ramon's on the next trip, for sure!
And maybe Mare Blu, too, or Portofino.

We've been to Max's but have also been wanting to try Rosie's. So many wonderful places, so little time!

And thx for the info on La Cetta...for shorter trips, we may just bring our own. Althou I enjoy a good Merlot or Cab, we lean a little bit lighter, esp. when enjoying fresh seafood.

We can't wait for our next trip!

gringa

I have a thousand old pics in my storeroom somewhere. I'll look for them as I am laid up for a couple of days....
Oh, can't wait to see those! What a treasure...and the image of you time a Playa Hermosa with the stairs and the pathway to the sun! Sounds lovely!
Wouldn't be cool if you and El Gato met ages ago?

gringa

At Hector's cantina (at the Playa Hermosa) we used to play dominos with the kids in the day time as it was a little cooler there - or on the covered patio. My mother's Siamese cat, Baby Cat, used to lay on the bar. Migel & Chewy (bartenders) used to keep the cerveza flowing (Corona). I learned how to do the twist at Hector's. Bar's had to be shut down at a certain time (I think it was midnight but I'm not positive). Of course no a/c so we used to wear our bathing suits - get them wet - then put on a shift to sort of act like a cooling system. No one ever believed that there would be swimming pools or golf courses built - or high rise buildings.

Also in the 60's there was a tourist shop on the road to the Playa Hermosa and the owner loved chess and used to teach the kids how to play it. He would have groups of kids (accompanied by lazy dogs) set up on the floor with chess sets he had for sale and he would go among them teaching them the moves. They would have bought their cokes and end up having a wonderful day after being at the beach. Once some tourists came in and complained about the riff raff kids and dogs and the owner suggested the tourists find a different store.

Almost all the roads were dirt/sand :)
Gawd, I love these stories. El Gato! The are **priceless** and I so appreciate you sharing them! You learning how to do the twist and LadyJeeper's 1st Grasshopper!
What wonderful memories! Keep the stories and amazing photos coming and thanks so much for sharing!

gringa

Gato, Do you have any more info about the cantina. Pic what it looked like? I would like to know more about that era very interesting. Kenny showed a very good pic
and I think Manny has more pics maybe he might want to share. Thanks in advance.
Ditto! I am so loving the stories and pics! Thanks so much for sharing!

gringa

I remember snooping around in the arizona Historical Society pictures archives and they had some good rp pictures.As i remember a guy named Stark had pictures taken in the Pinacates in the 30s of a eclipise .
Ooooh, good info, Jerry, thanks! We'll have to ck it out! Do you recall if they were in the archives in Tucson near the University or the PHX location?

gringa

in a side note my wife and 15 year old daughter drove in from Tucson an arrived at RP at 10 pm, yes they drove at night but we trully do not believe the exagerated stories you hear in the USA papers, specially the ones that Jerry posts links to!! LOL
Good to know, Inka! Thanks!
Happy they arrived safely and hope you all have a wonderful stay!

El Gato

Gawd, I love these stories. El Gato! The are **priceless** and I so appreciate you sharing them! You learning how to do the twist and LadyJeeper's 1st Grasshopper!
What wonderful memories! Keep the stories and amazing photos coming and thanks so much for sharing!
My parents had a trailer with a BIG screened in porch (where we all slept) on the south side of the Playa Hermosa (as you looked at the Playa Hermosa from the beach it would have been on the right). There were 6 trailers parked there full time - all six families were very close and most had kids. My parents' names were Bob and Chavela Gehrandt.

One time the kids decided to build a basement house on the beach - a very big hole and they made sand couches and stuff - played in it all day. Next morning came out and there was a sand buggy stuck in it! Someone had been driving the beach the night before and hadn't seen it and in they drove. Kids were forced to fill in their hole after the buggy was finally removed.

Their best friend was Roberto Fleischer - his parents managed the Playa Hermosa - then the old Rocky Hotel, before they build the Villa Granada.

Ladyjeeper - I also had my Hungarian Puli dogs with me so you might have noticed them. They are a medium sized dog with long black corded coats (like like a walking mop) - hard to miss. We were usually down for Easter week, summer, Thanksgiving. My parents were there just about every weekend. My Dad was a real big guy and the only Spanish he ever really learned was "Por favor, dame un otra cerveza."

gringa

My parents had a trailer with a BIG screened in porch (where we all slept) on the south side of the Playa Hermosa (as you looked at the Playa Hermosa from the beach it would have been on the right). There were 6 trailers parked there full time - all six families were very close and most had kids. My parents' names were Bob and Chavela Gehrandt.

One time the kids decided to build a basement house on the beach - a very big hole and they made sand couches and stuff - played in it all day. Next morning came out and there was a sand buggy stuck in it! Someone had been driving the beach the night before and hadn't seen it and in they drove. Kids were forced to fill in their hole after the buggy was finally removed.

Their best friend was Roberto Fleischer - his parents managed the Playa Hermosa - then the old Rocky Hotel, before they build the Villa Granada.

Ladyjeeper - I also had my Hungarian Puli dogs with me so you might have noticed them. They are a medium sized dog with long black corded coats (like like a walking mop) - hard to miss. We were usually down for Easter week, summer, Thanksgiving. My parents were there just about every weekend. My Dad was a real big guy and the only Spanish he ever really learned was "Por favor, dame un otra cerveza."
Another great story, El Gato! It sounds like an idyllc experience! And I love the name Chavela! Like Chavela Vargas, no? One of my v. favorite singers! Her sound sound is so unique and haunting. Such passion and such a story. I just love her!

Tell me, is your mom's given name Chavela or was it a nickname for Isabella (as I have heard it was for Ms. Vargas).

Funny story about the basement house...and reminds me of a story from my Spring Break, way back in the '80's. I have to tell you about it someday over a cold Corona and some grilled camarones!

Is the Playa Hermosa still standing? Has it be renamed something else, or is it now the Playa Bonita?

And the Puli dogs sound adorable but wonder how their coats fared in the sand and the surf...I am picturing a dog with sandy dreadlocks!

Funny that as often as you all were there, your dad only learned a few words in Spanish, but I guess they were the only words he really ever needed :)

Last edited:

MIRAMAR

Gato, did you know the Lindburgs from Tucson (sp?): Sue, Beth, Katie, Bob, etc.? They talk about being kids in the 60s or 70s in a trailer at Playa Hermosa, and all the fun associated with that.