Interested in the facts, not the drama, bs or anyone's personal agenda

Good post guys. Thanks for the info. We will be coming down for spring break from Colorado...6th year in a row, can't wait!

El Gato

Fleischer
Is his Dad still living here? I had heard that both of them had left town. Went over to the old Villa Granada and it was being turned into a mission (boy did we have wonderful times sitting on the patio there drinking Coronas (or drinking coffee in the mornings) under the hugh bougainvilleas that covered everything.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I did too. Those were the days. I believe Luisa has passed. I don't know about their dad..... I weathered Hurricane Eduardo out at the Villa in Sept. '76. The power went out and the band just kept playing without amps and we all kept dancin' What a memory! It was a blast!

dmcauley

Luisa passed 16 or so years ago and Jon took it over. It was still a hot spot until all the building started. Yeah, those were the days my friends.

El Gato

Luisa died at St. Joseph's in Phoenix some time before 1995 (can't remember the year). She was truly wonderful and did a lot to help Penasco. She was very active in promoting Penasco and working to do away with the need to stop for visas. We still miss her constantly. So many fantastic memories of her.

El Gato

Another great story, El Gato! It sounds like an idyllc experience! And I love the name Chavela! Like Chavela Vargas, no? One of my v. favorite singers! Her sound sound is so unique and haunting. Such passion and such a story. I just love her!

Tell me, is your mom's given name Chavela or was it a nickname for Isabella (as I have heard it was for Ms. Vargas).
Funny story about the basement house...and reminds me of a story from my Spring Break, way back in the '80's. I have to tell you about it someday over a cold Corona and some grilled camarones!

Is the Playa Hermosa still standing? Has it be renamed something else, or is it now the Playa Bonita?

And the Puli dogs sound adorable but wonder how their coats fared in the sand and the surf...I am picturing a dog with sandy dreadlocks!

Funny that as often as you all were there, your dad only learned a few words in Spanish, but I guess they were the only words he really ever needed :)
Yes, Chavela was her nickname - her name was Isabel and she hated it - loved Chavela. My Dad named his boat The Chavela - he wasn't good about taking care of it and everytime it went out everyone was on the alert to rescue it.

Hey Just come on down have a great time and find the good life.
Been going down to RP for over 33 years and to mexico on the California side for 68 years. I started camping on the beach 39 K below California when I was about 3 or four years old. Never have I felt unsafe except about 10 years ago we crossed into Juarez for about 5 min and turned around and came out. No question we were not wanted there.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid! It's safe in Penasco. You wouldn't go to South Phoenix at midnight... just use your head and you'll be fine!

gringa

Hey Just come on down have a great time and find the good life.
Been going down to RP for over 33 years and to mexico on the California side for 68 years. I started camping on the beach 39 K below California when I was about 3 or four years old. Never have I felt unsafe except about 10 years ago we crossed into Juarez for about 5 min and turned around and came out. No question we were not wanted there.
Thanks Wood Spinner! Really appreciate your info! Always nice to hear from another long time visitor! And we took your advice, came down, met some wonderful people, tried a few of the recommended restaurants from the other thread and enjoyed a bit of the good life!

And I hear you about Juarez...always good to leave when you don't feel safe! We had no worries RP and hope to never have any! We really did enjoy ourselves and are looking forward to another trip soon!

Thanks again for your reply and continue to enjoy the good life! :)

gringa

Yes, Chavela was her nickname - her name was Isabel and she hated it - loved Chavela. My Dad named his boat The Chavela - he wasn't good about taking care of it and everytime it went out everyone was on the alert to rescue it.
Another great story, El Gato! Thanks so much for sharing! Now, everytime I hear Chavela Vargas, I will think of you, your family and your dad's boat!

It was also a real pleasure to meet you, your DH, your lovely neighbors and, of course, your lovely gato! Thanks so much for joining us for Dinner at Ramon's and for your wonderful hospitality! Meeting all of you was one of the highlights of our trip and we look forward to seeing you all again soon!