Is it safe to travel to Rocky Point after SB 1070?

A

ArizonanGal

My family has had a condo in Puerto Penasco before the big boom in condo sales on Sandy Beach. We are down there at least once every two months. However, after this new law, is it safe to go there, as an Arizonan? I have also heard stuff about drug cartels in Puerto Penasco? Can someone who lives there, and isnt just trying to promote the city tell me how safe it is? Rocky Point has always been very friendly to tourists for the money they bring im sure, but has that attitude changed?

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I don't live there.....but have been visiting since about 1985. I just returned from a trip last weekend (actually 3 of the past 4 weekends), and saw no difference on how I was treated by the locals.....nobody threw rocks at me or vandalized my vehicle! Maybe the vendors on the Malecon are a bit "pushier" since business is so bad....but nothing directed because I'm from AZ.

If you've read some of the posts on here, there has been a rash of truck thefts (F series Superduty, 4WD, diesels)...but then again, I wouldn't park my truck at Metrocenter or Christown (Phoenix) for any length of time either!!!

There were a couple of instances last year of shootings in Penasco, but they were drug related, and no known innocent bystanders hurt. There were also a couple of attempted carjackings outside of Sonoita on the border around Christmas....one successful, one not. There were reports of several bodies found out in the desert outside of Penasco....most likely drug related killings. All of this info has been posted here on the Forum.

If you go thru the posts on here, you can filter who is doing "rah rah" due to business interests, and who is "ripping" for whatever reasons.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Attitude has not changed. Everyone is glad to see you and glad you have come to visit, have fun, and spend money. I have not picked up any negative vibes from anybody, anywhere in Rocky Point.

I am a fisherman, not a tourism promoter. I go once or twice a month. Was there about 3 weeks ago. Go and have fun! Just take the same precautions you would here in the U.S. -- lock your car, hang with your friends in a group, etc. There were some recent truck thefts, but if you're not driving a large Ford diesel truck, you're fine.

I have not seen any resentment or as Stuart said "picked up any negitive vibes" and I have been living here for 14 years and I am active with the local community in ways other than tourism... last weekend while helping my friend Harrold a.k.a. "trade" with food distribution out in the lesser developed barrios we were welcomed with smiles and open arms as usual...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have not seen any resentment or as Stuart said "picked up any negitive vibes" and I have been living here for 14 years and I am active with the local community in ways other than tourism... last weekend while helping my friend Harrold a.k.a. "trade" with food distribution out in the lesser developed barrios we were welcomed with smiles and open arms as usual...
I live down the street from Mark and I am a promoter not a tourist or an avid fisherman ( so if that takes my opinion down a notch so be it STU). Like Mark, I work with people on ever level of the social ladder. I know and work with a lot of locals, I know and work with a lot of deportees, I know a lot of business people and the vibe is good not bad. These people understand the symbiotic nature that we (Arizonans and Sonorans) share. That said, crowds are down, prices are good. The thing that has not changed is that there is still great beaches great food and drink and friendly people brown and not brown to hang out with, we do everyday. I encourage you (not as a salesmen, but as a local g r ingo) to come down and have a great time. We have a ton of events coming up in June and July and a lot of excitement about good things going on all over town. There is a good or great vibe going on in Penasco. The locals know and so should you! My 2 cents plus a little

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
My sister and I were down the first week in April and remarked to each other that it felt the same as the last 40 years of traveling back and forth from Phoenix or San Diego...nothing strange whatsoever. Had a great time as usual. This is a great informational forum...but you have to make your own decision. We have been concerned from time to time only to find out nothing is different. Take the same precautions you would anywhere else, but enjoy!

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Well, I beg to differ, "nothing has changed". The roads! They are 100% better. Some better than state side. The paving continues and was surprised in the quality of the road out of Las Conchas, toward Caborca, the new Airport. If you have not been there recently you will be surprised how smooth the travel will be.

I do agree the people attitudes have not changed, they still care very much about visitors, the same as it always has been. Have fun.

JimMcG

Well Known Member
If anything, the locals appreciate your business more and are even more appreciative of any work that you might have for them. It is actually a great time to visit......a lot like the old days in my opinion.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I'm a full timer here, 4 years duration, visited 4 years before moving. I own a home and work part time in a Real Estate office maintaining the web site, keeping records, not a realtor. From my perspective nothing has changed in terms of the atmosphere. I do a little fishing, explore the area and move around town at all hours of the day and night. I take precautions as I do anywhere I travel. Visit and enjoy. Visit the beach, the Pinacate, Gillespie's Gold Mine, La Pinta, Marys on the Malecon.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I am a promoter not a tourist or an avid fisherman ( so if that takes my opinion down a notch so be it STU).
1st, your opinion is your opinion and you don't have to constantly qualify it by what I think, Russ.

2nd, she specifically said she wasn't interested in your opinion. You may live there, but your whole purpose in life *is* promoting the city.

"Can someone who lives there, and isnt just trying to promote the city tell me how safe it is?"

3rd, while I may not live there on a full-time basis, I spend enough time there and interact with a wide variety of people while enjoying what Penasco has to offer. My view is fairly objective and I have nothing to gain or lose by telling the truth, which I did - it's safe, go and have fun, just take the same precautions you would anywhere.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
No fighting on my part at all - I sincerely want Russ to know that he does not have to qualify his posts on what I think about them. Fair enough, Russ?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I'm just kidding, I invite Stu to meet and have a beer anytime he wants I will buy of course. I prefer Cholla Bay but whatever! You too Eduardo

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Inka's like the damned kid on the playground that starts yelling "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!" and gets all the other kids to come running over! :har:

Russ, be glad to take you up on that beer sometime.