Jellyfish?

A

azbeachboy

Does anyone know if the Portuguese Man of War have shown up yet? If so how thick are they on the beach? I'm coming down tomorrow and after I finish working on my trailer a nice swim would be nice.
Thanks

A

azbeachboy

Gringo,
I'll be on the Mirador. By now they should be all over R.P.

We were down last week (thru this Tues.) and were riding jetskis from the harbor all the way to Cholla....didn't see any at all. The water was rough....so don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Didn't see any when I walked the dog along the beach on the Mirador either.

I can't remember if there's a general rule of thumb on how long they usually wash up on the beach. Isn't two weeks straight about the longest each "wave" can last? Or is that about as useless as trying to predict the weather?

Just saw the following on that fantastic AZ news source, the AZ Republic......

TOKYO - Swarms of giant Nomura's jellyfish are expected in the coastal waters around Japan this year, a "jellyfish typhoon" that threatens to inflict massive damage to the fishing industry.
One of the biggest varieties of jellyfish in the world, Nomura's jellyfish - also known as Echizen jellyfish - weigh as much as 440 pounds and have heads reaching up to about two meters in diameter. Japan's Fisheries Agency warned fishermen across the country about the arrival of the jellyfish after it received several reports of sightings in the sea around Japan this month.
Nomura's jellyfish are a nightmare for fishermen - damaging fishing nets with their heavy weight and harming fish caught in the nets with their toxins. Fishermen also risk getting stung when removing the jellyfish from their nets.
They may even force fishermen to stop fishing.
In 2007, the last time hoards of Nomura's jellyfish were seen in Japan's coastal waters, the agency received about 15,500 complaints from fishermen concerning damage caused by the jellyfish.
According to experts, an unusually huge number of Nomura's jellyfish are highly likely to come to Japan's coastal waters this year. They usually propagate in the eastern part of the Yellow Sea, then some will drift toward Japan on the Tsushima Current.
Researchers with the Fisheries Research Agency surveyed the central waters of the East China Sea and coastal waters around Jeju Island, South Korea, in June and confirmed the presence of a few Nomura's jellyfish within 10 meters of their vessel.
"The situation is quite similar to that when a large number of these jellyfish came to Japan's coastal waters in the past," said Hideki Akiyama, head of the agency's East China Sea Fisheries Oceanography Division.
Based on the June survey, the Fisheries Agency warned the jellyfish would reach the sea off Tsushima Island in Japan early this month. Since around July 4, the agency has received a number of reports that small Nomura's jellyfish have been seen in the sea.
Professor Shinichi Ue of Hiroshima University, a leading expert on Nomura's jellyfish, said highly concentrated groups of the variety had been observed in the Yellow Sea as of Wednesday.
"The arrival (of a large number of the jellyfish) is inevitable. A huge jellyfish typhoon' will hit the country," Ue said.
A fertilized egg of a Nomura's jellyfish turns to a polyp that resembles a flower. As the polyp travels, it sheds parts of its body in the form of a cellular mass called a podocyst. The podocyst rests at the bottom of the sea and grows into a polyp that later turns into a jellyfish.
To complicate matters, podocysts maintain their form until the surrounding environment becomes optimal for their growth into a jellyfish.
Last year, there were few sightings of Nomura's jellyfish and no complaints from fishermen were reported.
"I believe the environment in the East China Sea was bad, so the podocysts slept in that form last year," Ue said. "However, they've all turned into polyps this year, resulting in a plague of jellyfish."
The most recent large infestation of Nomura's jellyfish was observed in 2005. The year before that, only a few were reported.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
TOKYO - Swarms of giant Nomura's jellyfish are expected in the coastal waters around Japan this year...
Sounds like we should be selling a lot more peanut butter to Japan! I mean, if God gives you that much jelly...:lol::lol::lol:

I saw a few agua mauls fishing last week, but no swarms. I'm just glad we don't have any of those 440 lb. jellies around!!

When do they usually come? I went down last Sept and my (ex)wife got stung.
Tyler, they usually show up at the end of June or early July and their highly venomous tenacles can deliver a painful sting even several weeks after they have washed ashore and dried out.

Although superficially resembling a jellyfish, it is a member of the class Hydrozoa (stinging hydroids).:eek3:

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I know nothing about them.

So, their tentacles wash up shore (without the jellyfish) and can still sting you?

it appears to be a single animal but is actually a colonial organism composed of three distinct types of semi-independant polyps. Each type of polyp is specialized to perform a specific function: reproduction, digestion or capturing prey.

you can find more info in the Pisces Guide to...

VENOMOUS & TOXIC MARINE LIFE of the WORLD... I carry this book with me most all the time I am on a boat or at the beach. This particular animal is on the cover of the book...

Last edited:
If you have never seen one of these critters (Portuguese Man-of-War a.k.a. Agua Mala) here's your chance to get a close-up view of one from below the surface of the sea, in its own enviorment...

click the fish :fish:

thanks for watching... be careful and watch out for these critters

Last edited:
Scooped again, lol!

I got an email yesterday about these critters washing ashore so decided to do a short thing about it in RPTides, then rushed in here to tell everyone and wouldn't you know it, YOU DID IT FIRST! What a letdown, hahaha.

But since you already know all about it, I'll just contribute the part about what to do if you're stung and won't even make you go to my blog for it. I'm that nice of a person. :D

WHAT TO DO IF YOU'RE STUNG:

Research suggests that in the normal course the best treatment for a Portuguese Man O' War sting is:

(a) to avoid any further contact with the Portuguese Man O' War and to carefully remove any remnants of the creature from the skin using an object such as a credit card or some similar thin, rigid object, or even a seashell, to scrape them off. The nematocysts are on all sides of the tentacles, so do not use your hands and do not rub the area. I repeat: Take care not to touch them directly with fingers or any other part of the skin to avoid secondary stinging; then

(b) to apply salt water to the affected area (not fresh water, which tends to make the affected area worse);

If eyes have been affected they should be irrigated with copious amounts of room temperature tap water for at least 15 minutes and if vision blurs, or the eyes continue to tear, hurt, swell, or are light sensitive after irrigating, or there is any concern, a doctor should be seen as soon as possible;

(c) to follow up with the application of hot water (45°C/113°F) to the affected area, which eases the pain of a sting by denaturing the toxins; and finally,

(d) to apply ice, preferably in the form of an icepack as this should be effective at suppressing any swelling and pain through reducing the activity of the toxins and reducing the sensation, and therefore pain, of the area of skin around the ice. Additionally, ice constricts blood vessels, reducing the speed at which the venom travels to other parts of the body.

Do not use vinegar! Vinegar dousing has been shown to cause discharge of nematocysts from the larger Man O' War species (that is, increasing the toxin and worsening the symptoms) while the effect of vinegar on the nematocysts of the smaller species (which has less severe stings) has been mixed.

Note that the makers of Jellyfish Squish(TM), a product developed by J.C. Grayson to reduce the effects of jellyfish stings, claim that an independent study in May 2009 showed the product also works for Portuguese Man O' War stings. Applying Jellyfish Squish(TM) on a Portuguese Man O' War sting paralyzes the unfired nematocysts, preventing them from continuing to fire their toxins. Its ingredients include the maximum amount of lidocaine (a topical anesthetic) allowable without a prescription. You can see their press release here: Popular Jellyfish Sting Treatment Also Proven Effective on Stings From Portuguese Man-of-War

Jellyfish Squish(TM), produced by Coastal Solutions, Inc. in Savannah, Ga., can be purchased online and at select stores including drug stores and beach supply stores.

There. That's my contribution. Nice video, Seadweller, I'll add a link to it. Happy Sunday, all.

Thanks La Huerita... I'd like to add as a precaution if you are intending to do any swimming during this time it is a good idea to wear a T-Shirt to minimalize the areas in which they can come in contact with your skin...

Also for quick relief from the sting applying Windex to the affected area works great. (and no I didn't get that idea from the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding")

Last edited:
A

azbeachboy

I only saw 4 or 5 of them on Saturday and none on Sunday. Saturday the water was smooth as glass so it was easy to see them. On Sunday the water got rougher as the day passed. By 4:00 all you could see was whitecaps. One little boy got stung and and they sprayed windex on it. After ten minutes he was back in the water.

Last edited by a moderator: