Just wondering

azfish

We shopped over at that new market that looks like a mini walmart when you first come into town on the left.
Bought some can goods (vegetables) it seemed weird they didn't look or taste right, I didn't check the expiration on the cans but they had a lot of dust on them. Do all the can goods in Mexico, look and taste different than the can goods in the US? They both seem to be the same price.

Roberto

I think you will find lots of processed and prepared foods Mexico are different than what you find up north. Think of it as an adventure. You are going to find some stuff you like more ans some you like less. Also remember the Bodega is a Mexican store, directed at Mexican tastes and buying habits. It is not a Walmart, although you will find some of Walmart's house brands sold there.

Sonora

It is not uncommon to find "dust" on the tops of cans in Rockypoint. Very few roads are paved and there is little vegetation to hold the particulates down. (Just look at the road to the south of the store).

Sonora

I think you will find lots of processed and prepared foods Mexico are different than what you find up north. Think of it as an adventure. You are going to find some stuff you like more ans some you like less. Also remember the Bodega is a Mexican store, directed at Mexican tastes and buying habits. It is not a Walmart, although you will find some of Walmart's house brands sold there.
Read the plaque on the outside wall as you enter the store. It is indeed a WalMart store (slightly different concept) although with a different name.

azfish

It just seems strange, you pay the same price in the US, but the quality is not there? Hmmm? Whats up with that?

G

Gallos

Buy lots of things at the Bodega and we have always been happy. Things are not the same in Mexico. We actually like the "American" cheese better. It makes great grilled cheese sandwiches.

El Gato

Their bakery has a great chocolate loaf cake! I like it better then US. One difference in taste is that a lot, if not most, Mexican products are made with real sugar - and in the Us we've almost forgotten what that tastes like.

mis2810

It just seems strange, you pay the same price in the US, but the quality is not there? Hmmm? Whats up with that?
A lot of times the quality is better - depending on the item, there's not as many chemicals, hormones, steroids in the meat, and the chickens are fed good old corn. Even the eggs taste like real eggs.

Our US taste buds have become so accustomed to plastic and synthetic foods we forgot what the real thing tastes like!

MIRAMAR

I LOVE Mexican butter- the kind I buy at Super Ley is much creamier with better flavor than the butter I buy at Safeway or other stores in the states (haven't tried the butter at Bodega). I haven't found as good of ice cream (other than Thrifty Choco Crunch!) in Mexico, but I'll keep trying.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
We shopped over at that new market that looks like a mini walmart when you first come into town on the left.
Bought some can goods (vegetables) it seemed weird they didn't look or taste right, I didn't check the expiration on the cans but they had a lot of dust on them. Do all the can goods in Mexico, look and taste different than the can goods in the US? They both seem to be the same price.
Are you saying you didn't like the Mexi-Cans in RP?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I like the food here, I ve been eating it for over 5 years now so I guess it all comes down to taste and familiarity

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I like the food here, I ve been eating it for over 5 years now so I guess it all comes down to taste and familiarity
Everything is good no matter where you are if it is preped and cooked right,but it doesn't hurt when you are married to a Mexican chef. I have eaten jellyfish that were good, but they were seasoned and cooked the right way.

I LOVE Mexican butter- the kind I buy at Super Ley is much creamier with better flavor than the butter I buy at Safeway or other stores in the states (haven't tried the butter at Bodega). I haven't found as good of ice cream (other than Thrifty Choco Crunch!) in Mexico, but I'll keep trying.
Its not Mexican butter...its just not US butter. The rest of the world knows what real butter is suppose to taste like. You can find non-US tasting butter at Trader Joes. Its called European Style Butter...much more creamy and better tasting.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I have eaten jellyfish that were good, but they were seasoned and cooked the right way.
Gaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! I barf at the thought of putting one of those slime slingers anywhere near my mouth! But hey, octopus is yummy! :rofl:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
You could maybe compare the jellyfish to an egg slimy and runny until cooked,it was kind of the texture of a sunny side up egg, even a little rubbery. I had the jellyfish at a chinese restaurant in Mexicali.

MIRAMAR

I do buy Trader Joe's butter- just not the European. I'll have to do a taste and price test w/ that and Mexican butter- thanks for the suggestion.

Roberto

Sonora SEz: Read the plaque on the outside wall as you enter the store. It is indeed a WalMart store (slightly different concept) although with a different name.

Yes we are all aware it is owned by Wal Mart Corp. What I meant is that in terms of the items offered and the way the store is run is a lot different from a US Wal Mart. It is designed to appeal to Mexican taste not US taste.