Kids under 16 - require passport card

D

doeadeer

You're a real judgemental SOB aren't you? I haven't been to RP for about 6 years. You obviously make a bit more money than an Admin. Assistant. Whatever....take that cheese and.....

D

doeadeer

Oh...and I don't DRINK COFFEE!! And, yeah, to my daughter, cheer and softball are more important than one weekend. I used to LOVE Rocky Point, been going there since the late 70's....but if you are there....I think I'll SAVE the $90 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Doe. RJ, why not welcome new people on here and not be an ass? She doesn't owe you any explanation of what she can afford.

Doe , just read over the other posts. You should be okay with certified BC's.

Last edited:
You're a real judgemental SOB aren't you? I haven't been to RP for about 6 years. You obviously make a bit more money than an Admin. Assistant. Whatever....take that cheese and.....
You're the one who responded to my post about people not getting a passport card....which costs all of $45, and brought up your "economic condition"! Maybe I am judgemental when it comes to some of the crybabies that have been on here complaining that they can't afford a passport card, when they do come to Penasco often.

And, for your information, when my son was playing competitive soccer (one of those traveling/tournament teams) I had to work a second job just to pay for that.

I also LOVE coming to Penasco, and I've been "broke", particularly when I was paying child support, but I found a way to come down......

If you read my post, you would see that I also wrote "I can see the reluctance if it is a one time visit, and you don't anticipate going outside of the US again any time in the next 10 years....... "

So, enjoy your visit to Penasco....you should be fine with just a birth certificate (original/certified) and a picture ID!

Last edited:
Welcome Doe. RJ, why not welcome new people on here and not be an ass? She doesn't owe you any explanation of what she can afford.

Doe , just read over the other posts. You should be okay with certified BC's.
Waterkids....she's the one who responded to my post....a post that was general in nature commenting about the requirement being around for while and a passport card not being that expensive. She's the one who brought up her "economic condition" and having to raise her kids without any support!

I agree, she doesn't owe me an explanantion....we all have our own problems in life, and expenses to meet, but I considered her reply to my post as whining. I've seen enough of this whining in many other threads on this Forum about people not being able to "afford" a $45 passport card, but can afford to make several trips down to Penasco throughtout the year.

So if that makes me an SOB or an ass......so be it!!!

Last edited:

dmcauley

What's with all these people who can't "afford" to get a passport card for their kid? This regulation was put out what.....almost 3 years ago now? It was postponed how many times???:gay::roll::?

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!:deadhorse:
Some people are having a harder time now than ever before, and unlike some other fortunate people try to give their kids and themselves a good time by cutting corners. I understand that because at one time I had to work my tailbone off to give my kids extras just like yourself. I heard no whining from this newcomer to our board, only a single mother looking for a couple of shortcuts to save a little money for frivolities.
The passport issue is about to show its true colors again during this spring break. A college student is not about to spend this months allowance on nexy months entertainment. RP needs spring break but I don't believe we'll ever see the same big crowds as of old. A lot of folks think that SB is not necessary to the economy but I believe it is.
I also believe that this fairly new law is a burden to many others who at the last moment want to visit our hang out.

dmcauley....I agree...there was no whining in her original post.....

With the way the law is being enforced (or not being enforced), I'm sure the word has gotten around to the kids, and won't stop them from coming down....if they (or their parents) can afford to. I believe it will be a matter of the economy influencing most....

I would be interested in hearing from some of the bar owners to see if the condos, and the partying that went on at a couple in recent times influenced their business during spring break, with fewer kids venturing down to the Mirador or Malecon for their partying. I remember years ago the "old" Pithaya had a lot of partyers, as did Manny's and Pink Cadillac.

D

doeadeer

Thanks all. I wonder too how much this new law has affected the number of people that visit RP. I'm sure it's quite a bit less than before. And...the only people that this law hurts are the US LAW ABIDING citizens. The dealers and 'others' will come across the border anyway.

I don't really think it has affected how many people come down....those who are really concerned just delay visiting and get the passport card or passport. Others just "risk" it, knowing that they can't be prevented from coming back to the US if they are "legal". The economy and fear of violence has probably caused most of the drop in visitors..... IMHO.....

Now, if the Mexican government starts checking for passports when you try to enter....that will put a damper on the visitors.......

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I'll just skip over all the back and forth about "who's poorer than whom" :) and just point out a simple fact that has been repeated several times now in this discussion:

US citizens do NOT have to have to have a passport to re-enter the US. They only need to be able PROVE their citizenship.

A passport is the best and easiest way to do this, but it is NOT the only way... If you have a US issued picture ID and you were born in the US and can prove it with your birth certificate, then you are GOLDEN- save the $40 and go have a blast on the beach and pound some margaritas...

Between all the confusion about this passport issue and all the news reports of car jacking, RP is suffering even more unfairly during already tough times, IMO...

Now, if the Mexican government starts checking for passports when you try to enter....that will put a damper on the visitors.......
I agree, but with the economy as tough as it is, I just can't imagine the Mexican Government playing that kind of hard-ball and possibly turning away tourist dollars; but I've always said anything's possible in Mexico...

Kenny

I tell the student's at my College that they DO NOT need a passport regardless of what they have heard, and that a birth certificate and DL will work just fine.

Truth is; If I hadn't of bought mine when I thought this deal was finally going into effect last June, I wouldn't bother to buy one now the way this nonsense has panned out...It never took me any longer to get across with birth certificate and DL than it has with my card.

Kenny

It seems that proving Citizenship is what matters.
Drivers License is ID, and BC the citizenship is all that is required, Passport not needed.

The fact remains that this will work at Lukeville, but I am troubled with the "common thought" information given is that a Passport or Travel card, Nexxus card, sentri card etc are the one that are the only true legal forms of ID for entry. THe two forms of Documentation while accepted are not compliant with the rules.

This thread tells us the two document requirement for citizenship.

But in BOLD in various Websites from Homeland to Immigration it talks about being WHTI compliant after 6/2009. And:

"Two-document option denoting citizenship and identity. Please see the CBP tear sheet for complete details. This option is only valid until June 1, 2009."

Anyone with a link from a .gov website indicating the 2 forms of ID, valid DL and BC is compliant?
I hate to tell people it is OK when it is not written in law. WHTI, is the initiative that passed in June 2009. It does NOT denote a DL and BC as compliant.

Homeland security Website specifically mentions that the two form of ID, LC and BC becoming obsolete....

http://www.pinacatecondo.com/passport_information.shtml This is what is published and common to be true.
If you have a valid "original/certified" birth certificate and photo ID....what are they going to do, turn you away? These are exactly the same documents that are used when you apply for a passport. The worst they can do is hassle you, delay you, and I'm not sure if there is a provision in the law for it, but maybe hit you with a fine????

I know...I'm being logical and we're dealing with the government!!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
of the 14 people in the van on Sunday, 2 did not had passports, one had DL and BC and the other had a DL and reciept for the passport from post office and a non notariced copy of a BC, it did not slow any the traffic, took about 2 minutes all together circling the van and I was towing a trailer too!!
I do have to say the waiting line was huge almost to the circle K, but as you know........:eek3:

Last edited:

jerry

of the 14 people in the van on Sunday, 2 did not had passports, one had DL and BC and the other had a DL and reciept for the passport from post office and a non notariced copy of a BC, it did not slow any the traffic, took about 2 minutes all together circling the van and I was towing a trailer too!!
I do have to say the waiting line was huge almost to the circle K, but as you know........:eek3:
14 people in the Van!!! I guess Eduardo is buying the first round!

C

cactusamigo

Wahoo, et al - That is exacly right - proving U.S. citizenship is what is required to to return to the U.S. There are more than one way to prove u.S citizenship.

"The fact remains that this will work at Lukeville, but I am troubled with the "common thought" information given is that a Passport or Travel card, Nexxus card, sentri card etc are the one that are the only true legal forms of ID for entry. THe two forms of Documentation while accepted are not compliant with the rules."

You are correct in your quote above. The U.S. government has made clear for some time the stand-alone documents that are acceptible for proof of U.S.citizenship, to expedite re-entry to the U.S. by U.S. citizens.. It is beyond me why people continue to fight so hard to not accept this. If you fly overseas, or take a cruise to a foreign country, a U.S. passport is required to re-enter the U.S. Just because Mexico is on our border, it is still a foreign country. When you leave the U.S., no matter where you go, you require proof of U.S. citizenship when you return.

Title 10 of the U.S. Code gives Border Inspectors ultimate authority in who they admit to the U.S. They can delay yor entry for as long as necessary until they are assured of your citizenship. Sure, you can play around with birth certificates, supported by photo ID's, which will work. But why add to the delay, and complicate your re-entry process, adding to the delay and inconvenience of those waiting behind you? If you are a U.S. citizen, and desire to visit a foreign country, get a U.S. Passport (or a U.S. Passport Card, or both)!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
14 people in the Van!!! I guess Eduardo is buying the first round!
Well, I found one of the tires was separating and had to buy new ones, 4 new tires gadadammit!! they were expensive, so the round will have to be tecate, next time will be tequila!!! a caballo regalado no le mires los dientes, so if you do not like tecate you will need to buy your own drinks!!! :eek3:

Separation should have been covered under warrantee.....

Hey Ink...are you running regular tires ...P series (non LT...Light Truck) on the van? I used to have a Chevy Van, and went thru tires like crazy. Even going to oversize didn't help. The fronts really wore fast, particularly the outer ribs. Solved the problem when I switched to LT.

I run Michelins (and no, I'm not trying to start a tire war)....they ride smooth, wear great (was getting 80K miles on them....could have gotten more, but they were deteriorating on the sidewall from the ozone/sunlight) so didn't want to risk a blowout in AZ heat.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Separation should have been covered under warrantee.....

Hey Ink...are you running regular tires ...P series (non LT...Light Truck) on the van? I used to have a Chevy Van, and went thru tires like crazy. Even going to oversize didn't help. The fronts really wore fast, particularly the outer ribs. Solved the problem when I switched to LT.

I run Michelins (and no, I'm not trying to start a tire war)....they ride smooth, wear great (was getting 80K miles on them....could have gotten more, but they were deteriorating on the sidewall from the ozone/sunlight) so didn't want to risk a blowout in AZ heat.
Possibly, but did not want to fool around with it, you are right got Michelin XLT's and they are really smooth compare to the wranglers it had before and even milage has improved!!

A

angelfly

i dont think you need one, probably just a birth certificate, but it wouldnt hurt to have one. its a good idea.

1MoKast

If you have a valid "original/certified" birth certificate and photo ID....what are they going to do, turn you away? These are exactly the same documents that are used when you apply for a passport. The worst they can do is hassle you, delay you, and I'm not sure if there is a provision in the law for it, but maybe hit you with a fine????

I know...I'm being logical and we're dealing with the government!!!
Sorry for dredging up an old thread but I figured it would be better to put this here than start a new thread. I crossed back over the border last night about 5pm with my wife and kids. Kids all under sixteen, all six of us have original BCs and my wife and I had our DLs (no passport cards). We've crossed many times since June 09 w/o the passport cards and never had any issues.

This time I pressed the issue when the agent asked why we didn't have the cards since it was the law. I told him I thought it was ridiculous that the BC was sufficient for the backseat passengers but a BC and DL was to enough for the front seat passengers. I told him we refused to get the cards - that these docs should be sufficient. As he took the docs and stepped into the guard shack to run the docs I asked him if anyone had ever given him an answer like that. He said "no". He sAid he didn't make the law, he just has to enforce them. I said I understood thAt he was doing his job.

He then stepped out the other side and talked to a few of the other agents, came back and typed some more, meanwhile two agents came over w/ dogs and sniffed my car over while a third looked into all of the back windows of our suburban. After about 10 minutes total, the original agent came back, returned our docs and told us to have a safe trip home.