Kids under 16 - require passport card

D

doeadeer

I'm sure it's been asked before, but I was not able to find it via search. Does anybody know if a 14 year old needs to have the passport card, or does their birth certificate suffice?

Thank You!

Technically, the birth certificate works for everyone. I interviewed a port supervisor as I was coming across and asked that question. He said there is no way they will refuse entry to an American...they just have to be sure that person is, in fact, American.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I crossed back into the US from Sonoyta on Feb 8, 2010, and I had some time to make small talk with an Agent while they x-rayed my boat, so I asked them about the Passport
question. Here's what she said:

Adults must prove their citizenship-

1) Birth certificate alone will not do it because it is not a picture ID.
2) Driver's license alone will not work because it only proves RESIDENCE, not citizenship.
2) Birth Certificate plus Driver's license WILL work for adults born in the US. The DL serves as the picture ID, and the birth cert proves your citizenship. Obviously, your name on your DL and Birth cert has to match.- NOTE that this method ONLY works for US citizens BORN in the US- Naturalized citizens born outside the US can not use this method.
3) Passports, of course- work just fine and require no other source of ID.

Children under 18 who do not have a passport can only cross in the company of a parent or legal Guardian:

1) The parent or guardian has to prove their own citizenship using options 2 or 3 above.
2) The parent can prove the childs citizenship by producing the childs' birth certificate, showing the parent's name AS IT IS WRITTEN on the parent's picture ID (Driver's License or passport)- Legal guardian's have to provide documented evidence that they are the child's legal caretaker. Again- the names have to match the adult's picture ID

So, the only difference between children and adults is that children do not have to provide picture ID- providing that they are travelling with their parent/guardian.

Now, all that being said, my wife and I are just going to go ahead and get passports for our kids and be done with it...

D

doeadeer

Thank you all so much for the info. I want to go in March, but I don't think I'd be able to afford BOTH of us to get a passport (plus the cost of the trip). This helps!

Rosy, show me the link or interview that a Border supervisor states the US policy is they will unilaterally accept a BCert to enter the country carte blanche regardless of the current law. And especially if the Birth Cert says born before 1994.
My message, your BC and proof that you bought your Mexican auto insurance from me will be all the carte blanche you need! I haven't written the article yet, because I'm following it up next week with more, as I have to go back with the new president of CANACO. I see you already confirmed...good! Now all you need is the insurance...

D

doeadeer

Rosy....are you saying that even an ADULT won't need a passport if we print yourmessage (and get insurance from you)?? I'm a poor soul....if I don't have to pay for a passport...then I'll be able to spend more $$ in the town!!!

Rosy....are you saying that even an ADULT won't need a passport if we print yourmessage (and get insurance from you)?? I'm a poor soul....if I don't have to pay for a passport...then I'll be able to spend more $$ in the town!!!
If I tell you, will you buy your insurance from me?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
As per Customs they can not deny access to a USA citizen to his/her country, "might take awhile if you come to the border naked, but at the end you will be sent home with a new set of cloth", passport, pass card, pic ID and BC only accelerates the process, in other words you can go anywhere you please to go to just make sure that if you do not have proper paperwork it will take you longer to get home, even if you are a naturilized citizen!!! :deadhorse:

Last edited:
What's with all these people who can't "afford" to get a passport card for their kid? This regulation was put out what.....almost 3 years ago now? It was postponed how many times???:gay::roll::?

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!:deadhorse:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
....... By sea or by air, then the other rules apply, Passport please.......
Sorry Wahoo, I think I understand that what you mean to say is that the rules are ALWAYS the same by sea, land or air, however the procedures are different in land crossing that it is in sea or air ports?.
As far as I know, luckly for us we do not have to go thru a seaport or airpport their procedure is to jail the person in question inmediatelly until his/hers identity has been confirm and I mean jail no handcuff and sit in a cushy chair in Lukeville. :eek3:

Last edited:

Roberto

That is the truth, "If by land and you have two forms of ID, one being your BC". The names do have to match and it would help greatly if the BC is original or certified original.
My understanding from conversations with the ICE folk is that the birth certificate must be original or a certified copy so be careful with the copies.

But yes, you do not need a passport. Come on down and enjoy yourselves.

C

cactusamigo

Moore,

Congratulations on posting clear and concise factual information! There has been a lot of confusion about the proof of U.S. citizenship requirement, and people have been chasing this around for some time. Border inspectors cannot deny admission to U.S. citizens, but the citizen has to submit proof of citizenship to the satisfaction of the border inspector. A U.S. passport is the basic stand-alone document to establish U.S. citizenship. No excuse not to have one if you plan to leave the country (and plan to return).

My understanding from conversations with the ICE folk is that the birth certificate must be original or a certified copy so be careful with the copies.

But yes, you do not need a passport. Come on down and enjoy yourselves.
On a whim, my sister (visiting from NY), brother & I went down over President's Day weekend (P.S. Went by all your homes & nobody around. Sorry I missed ya.). My brother showed a D.L. & S.S. Card & my sister her D.L. & credit card. No problems whatsoever. I had my passport card & thankfully this time (unlike Nov. due to a stress test) I didn't set off the radiation scan, so smoothe sailing back to the US.
Hope to see you all soon.
Michele

D.L. and credit card? That's a good one. Thanks, Michele. It's pretty obvious that efforts will be made to let Americans back in and people are stressing entirely too much. Agree with Joe, though...everyone should go ahead and get the passport card.

D.L. and credit card? That's a good one. Thanks, Michele. It's pretty obvious that efforts will be made to let Americans back in and people are stressing entirely too much. Agree with Joe, though...everyone should go ahead and get the passport card.
Come on folks...this requirement has been around for quite some time....and it is not expensive to meet. What is it, $45 for the card???? If you visit 4 times in the next 10 years, that's only a little over $10 per visit. People blow much more than that at the shops on the Malecon!!! It's also only taking 2-3 weeks now to get the card or even the full passport!!!

I can see the reluctance if it is a one time visit, and you don't anticipate going outside of the US again any time in the next 10 years.......

D

doeadeer

What's with all these people who can't "afford" to get a passport card for their kid? This regulation was put out what.....almost 3 years ago now? It was postponed how many times???:gay::roll::?

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!:deadhorse:
What's WITH me is....I've raised THREE girls without any assistance from their father and I still have a 14 year old that is in cheer, softball, etc....it's EXPENSIVE. By the way......I was pretty much BROKE 3 years ago also!!

What's WITH me is....I've raised THREE girls without any assistance from their father and I still have a 14 year old that is in cheer, softball, etc....it's EXPENSIVE. By the way......I was pretty much BROKE 3 years ago also!!
So....you can afford the cheer, softball, etc.....but can't afford a $45 passport card that you would be using....how often???? Let me get you the cheese for your whine!!! I've raised 2 kids, and still have one in college, as a single parent, PLUS was ALSO paying $$$$ a month in child support to their mother!!! That's why I'm a "trailer trash" instead of a condo-pigeon cooper! Skip one Starbucks a month, or one cigarette per day, or???....and you have your money! PULEEEZE.....:deadhorse::rofl:

My daughter's had a full passport since she was 16....comes out to less than $10 per year.....or $1 per month.

Last edited: