Las Palomas Owners Unite!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
A grass question for you. We have a lot of grass at our complex and recently a BOD member was talking to the landscaper about it and was told that in the winter it had to be mowed 2 to 3 times a week to keep it looking good, which was why costs were so high. Was he correct? I never remember mowing the lawn in Phoenix or California more then once a week and as I recall, they looked great. Don't know if he was spreading a line of ______ or he was correct. Tks for your help.
Honestly for your type of application it would be based on personal preference but once a week is sufficient. I wouldnt say by any means that it "needs" to be. I assume you're talking about ryegrass? A bermuda hybrid tiff grass is recommended to be mowed twice a week but even then for a house or complex it really comes down to personal preference. I used to cut the grass twice a week because Im kind of ocd about my "grass" lol but that was personal preference because the more you cut the grass the better its going to look for a number of reasons. First of all, most people dont even have nice enough bermuda grass in their yards/complex to need to cut it more than once a week. If you dont have "sodded tiff" ie. bobsod, tifway 419 ez-turf then once a week is plenty. Ryegrass can be cut more than once a week but once again it doesnt need to be. Ryegrass is a lot more temperamental than bermuda and can be screwed up easily. Ryegrass can stress out easily from being cut too short, too much, by wind, too much water, not enought water ect. Cutting once a week for your application is fine.

AZ ROB

All this talk about grass makes me want to eat some of RP Joe's Brownies..to get my mind back on why I go to the beach. It aint for the grass:party:

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Mexico Joe....a "degree" in grass management...is that a B.S. or M.S.? :rofl: Are there any Ph.D.'s teaching or just teaching assistants? How large is the department? :stir:

No wonder ASU is so huge, and the tuition has gone up so much!
I dont know if that's a slight on ASU or what but just for your information just about every Big Ten school has a turfgrass management program, Rutgers has a good one too. Hell, pick a school in the midwest or east and Ill show you a school with a turfgrass management program. U of A also has one! Apparently you underestimate the necessity of this profession...

jerry

Purdue has a top one...........
I dont know if that's a slight on ASU or what but just for your information just about every Big Ten school has a turfgrass management program, Rutgers has a good one too. Hell, pick a school in the midwest or east and Ill show you a school with a turfgrass management program. U of A also has one! Apparently you underestimate the necessity of this profession...

GV Jack

Snorin God
Please spare me any smart remarks, but one of the greatest programs in the country is at Penn State. It is also part of a great golf resort called Toftrees.

I haven't been there for quite a few years but used to make it frequesnt stop on my easterly business trips.
The agronomy/turfgrass program was very accomodating and most willing to discuss any problems or questions we had.

My Ohio State had a very good program, but not up to Penn State's standards.

I think people don't understand the overall value of an agronomy program and just link it to golf courses, alone. There's more to it than that,
but that's a song for another show.

Methinks someone is a bit sensitive......my "beef" is with the monster schools, some of the curriculum (or is it curriculi) offered, contunually raising tuition, and not providing sufficient "core" type classes so that students can graduate in 4 years, with many of the core classes being taught by teaching assistants, while the phD's pull in grants and do research (sorry.....while the phD candidates do the research under their "guidance")!

jerry

This thread seems to have been lost in the rough,,,,
Methinks someone is a bit sensitive......my "beef" is with the monster schools, some of the curriculum (or is it curriculi) offered, contunually raising tuition, and not providing sufficient "core" type classes so that students can graduate in 4 years, with many of the core classes being taught by teaching assistants, while the phD's pull in grants and do research (sorry.....while the phD candidates do the research under their "guidance")!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, you have me so lost! This is my mouth wide open with my jaw on the floor trying to figure out what the hell you're talking about...

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Please spare me any smart remarks, but one of the greatest programs in the country is at Penn State. It is also part of a great golf resort called Toftrees.

I haven't been there for quite a few years but used to make it frequesnt stop on my easterly business trips.
The agronomy/turfgrass program was very accomodating and most willing to discuss any problems or questions we had.

My Ohio State had a very good program, but not up to Penn State's standards.

I think people don't understand the overall value of an agronomy program and just link it to golf courses, alone. There's more to it than that,
but that's a song for another show.

The super from Phx Country Club got his degree from Penn State. They're supposed to be the best...... O yes and OH IO

playaperro

El Pirata
Saw where they were hiring 100 people at las palomas and had an overload of people show up and apply at the camaron park...thing must be coming back at dry heats
...or is it Ernesto's place?

Last edited: