Las Palomas update?

jerry

I think you have 3 extra zeros in there...pretty sad...we love to kid them on the forum but like them too...
Las Palomas is in big trouble. Most of the rental employees were laid off and they have not received their pay. Some owners considering walking away and cutting their loses. The people that are officers of the HOA won't even keep their members informed as to what is going on with their money. The owners in the rental pool are owed over a $100,000,000.00 USD in back rent. Doen't look like they will ever get it. This resort is giving all of PP a bad name.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
union (representing the employees) made an agreement with the owners of the resort, thus the issue of back pay or current pay of employees has been resolved.
many of the employees were laid off because it was slow season, many have been re-hired and more will be added as the season gets under way.
members of the hoa don't speak for the rental company, thus they can't really provide info on this subject. they represent the hoa of the resort not the for profit side.
I believe the amount owed to owners is closer to 400k not 100m or 1m.
it appears that the resort will start paying owners rental income moving forward (I guess we will see, however now that it is in season it may be possible).

I believe the HOA is also owed $2 million plus dollars from money that was diverted from the HOA to the profit side. Has the resort also made an agreement with the owners to resolve the HOA deficiency?

Las Palomas Update

The Las Palomas HOA is not in trouble. The HOA is a non-profit assocation funded by the monthly fees that the condo owners pay and the vast majority of those fees are up to date. All of the HOA services are being provided (security guards, exterior maintenance, cleaning of the common areas, pools, common utility bills, etc.). So anyone that wants to go to Las Palomas please be assured that they can enjoy their stay in safety.

The rumors you hear are for the rental operations side of the business that WWG owns. There are problems there and there have been cuts and changes. This affects the retail operations only, such as the restaurants, pool bars, and rental operation. They are trying to fix their problems, but until then, there may be limited food and beverage availability during off-peak days (our understanding is that there should be full service for spring break).

So the only advice I would give someone considering a trip to Las Palomas is to bring pool towels, small coolers to bring your drinks to the pool (the rules are that they have to fit under the chaise lounges), and plan to cook in your condo or eat out. The restaurants and bars will probably be open, but better to be prepared rather than be surprised. There are plenty of reputable condo owners on www.vrbo.com - choose one that is part of rental pool management to avoid problems or complications and ensure that the condo meets Las Palomas standards.

Mike
www.vrbo.com/181235 (shameless plug of my own condo there!)

ernesto

Time to let go of it . There is no rental pool management. You cannot enforce one side of an agreement in default.They don't even answer the phone.Rent from whoever has the best price, if they have paid their hoa dues they have paid for the amenities.the surveillance comittee is now aligned with WWG.

ernesto

Sounds like the Secret Squirrels (tourist committee members) got paid what they were owed by Hector and now want everyone to get back on for another ride with WWG.

Amazing that the rental owners at LP allow themselves to be bullied into having no other options than WWG. There has been a long running witch hunt from the tourist committee to stop owners from renting their own units and now all owners who have guests are under suspicion. One owner I know over there lent their unit to a co-worker for $50 a night to cover expenses and was then hit with a 35% rack rate charge from the resort. They have been fighting that charge for over 4 months with no success.

"lending their unit to a co-worker for $50 / night" is renting, and is in violation of the rental agreement. More importantly, it hurts the resort. My guess is that the owner had a history of under the table guest of owners.

Your guess is wrong. This person had no rental agreement and sometimes lends her condo to friends. Beautiful unit, just sits empty 90% of the year and the owner feels better when it gets some usage on her monthly HOA fee. Hard to see your point how she "hurts the resort".

ernesto

So............... WWG ,having run out of gringo money to steal,decides to steal the same money twice by claiming ownership of what they weren't going to pay back the first time.

ernesto

It takes a little effort to get into that cheatin' stealin' frame of mind that comes so easily to WWG. As one of our presidents once said, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice..............won't get fooled again.it's incomprehensible why anyone would encourage an owner to play ball with WWG.

We're coming to the end of our 6 month long term lease at Las Palomas, and I have to admit that after going there for the last 3 years, it was extremely disappointing on a few levels.

There was no Food or Beverage Service at all for the last two months! I couldn't believe that even the Owners' Meeting in January couldn't get a Pool Bar open for the 400 people that were there that weekend. They were all still closed as of Sunday, 03-06-11. I really hope that's changed by now.

Housekeepers and Food & Beverage people didn't get paid for two-four weeks, and when they did get paid, it was half of what they were supposed to be paid. The owners took up a collection and were able to pay quite a few of them (mostly Housekeepers), a little more than $50. The final kick in the head was when 175 employees were let go after all that. We visited 8-14 days for each of the last 4 months. There were easily enough people in the condos to justify some kind of services, at least Thursdays-Mondays.

Las Palomas website still advertises all their amenities. Terrible... Basically, false advertising.

Well, that's my two cents worth. I feel better.

Last edited:

ernesto

A TOTAL regime change is in order. From the management company to the homeowners that oversee it. All have ulterior motives.

ernesto

"lending their unit to a co-worker for $50 / night" is renting, and is in violation of the rental agreement. More importantly, it hurts the resort. My guess is that the owner had a history of under the table guest of owners.
It's an age old tactic of those under siege to get their enemies to turn against one another. that is what WWG has done. The Secret Squirrels have taken their eye off the prize,that being to evict the real cheaters, WWG.