Las Palomas update?

"lending their unit to a co-worker for $50 / night" is renting, and is in violation of the rental agreement. More importantly, it hurts the resort. My guess is that the owner had a history of under the table guest of owners.
I would love to see an explanation of how "it hurts the resort"....an explanation that actually makes sense. The owner is paying the HOA fee....which covers the "wear and tear" of the common facility, is paying their utilities....how is that any different than if the owner was living there full time???? So the only one being "hurt" is the rental company, which it sounds hasn't been paying the owners for renting out THEIR property, or paying the workers at the resort.

BTW, I have a friend who owns and lives there....

T

Tomcat

Showlow Joe ? Hi Joe I am just down the road from you in the town of big old Heber !

Last edited by a moderator:

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
A TOTAL regime change is in order. From the management company to the homeowners that oversee it. All have ulterior motives.
Oh my simple minded friend, it take a lot more than just saying a complete regime chage is in order. It is more than just an overnight dream. it takes time to plan it out accordingly (lawyers, notarios, interpretation of bylaws, negotiations, appraisals, making sure it meets mexican law, etc.). Big business is a lot more complicated than just saying "change everything". comments like that tell me it is a good thing some are not overseeing a multi-million dollar resort.

ernesto

Simple minded? You sound like you might be one of the arrogant jackasses running things there, Never said it would be simple. just said it needs to happen.

jerry

Ernesto,
Dry heat has a vanity plate that reads "arrogant jackass" but he is all about the dollars so my guess is either this problem is so bad he thinks stirring it up will hurt the owners interests or he is mistakenly thinking siding with the man will put him first in line for the fire exit.
Simple minded? You sound like you might be one of the arrogant jackasses running things there, Never said it would be simple. just said it needs to happen.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
you guys are silly. Something this complicated is not going to be done overnight. unfortunately some think with their emotions rather than their head when it comes to wanting something done right away. the board representing the owners are more than able to handle the situation (ie. career and education background, legal counsel and professional advise if needed). Before we become chicken little and think the sky is falling, we should let things play out knowing that something of this magnitude takes time to make sure it is done right.

I don't live in Show Low any longer, but often wish I still did. We lived there from 2001-2005. It was the best time of our lives, except for the fire. Great people, well organized town, safe, the whole shebang. I'd like to split my time between Penasco and the Mountain sometime in the future...

toetrx

I was at Las Palomas this last Tues. thru Fri. Pool heaters were on, pool bar open and restaurants open on weekends. Grounds and everything looked good. A security officer that I have known for the past four years told me that Friday was 75% occupied and Saturday was 80%. Now if the owners just get their money
from the WWG.

ernesto

Now that Ben has admitted he's on WWGs payroll it's time for him to step down. Conflict of interest.Anyone know how much he says he's owed? I'm betting he's been paid.

Now that Ben has admitted he's on WWGs payroll it's time for him to step down. Conflict of interest.Anyone know how much he says he's owed? I'm betting he's been paid.
Wow, only in Mexico.

Ernesto, don't know if you are an owner at LP, but have you thought about joining one of the SC's? The place could use someone who the owners can trust.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Ahhhh the stupidity of people... why would WWG pay an owner any money? what benefit would they derive from it? Even if one owner owned 50% of the units, I still don't see why the developer would need anything from them since they control the current for profit business. Please tell us why the developer would need to pay any owner any money, what is the benefit to them. hopefully the situation will change soon, until then you sound like a dumb ass who is playing telephone. You are right curious george, corruption only happens in Mexico. good thing we live in the US where everyone is honest and free from corruption, I just wish the rest of the world would follow how we do business in the states.

Ahhhh the stupidity of people... why would WWG pay an owner any money? what benefit would they derive from it? Even if one owner owned 50% of the units, I still don't see why the developer would need anything from them since they control the current for profit business. Please tell us why the developer would need to pay any owner any money, what is the benefit to them. hopefully the situation will change soon, until then you sound like a dumb ass who is playing telephone. You are right curious george, corruption only happens in Mexico. good thing we live in the US where everyone is honest and free from corruption, I just wish the rest of the world would follow how we do business in the states.
Ahhhh...but why does the developer still control the for profit business when they are 2+ years delinquent in their HOA dues?

Oh, that's right, I read the answer earlier in this thread. Because owners who rent their own units hurt the entire resort by not giving business to the developer.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
It takes a little while to remove the company that controls the for profit center. Would it not be nice to just say "let's get rid of them", "out with them", "fire them right now" and so on. However it is a little more complicated that that. For example... they own a lot of the property (including the road leading up to the resort), you have to make sure you are meeting sonoran law and federal law, you have to make sure you are meeting the bylaws of the resort, you have to make sure you are meeting labor laws, you have to make sure the non profit organization (ex. HOA) can meet state and federal tax laws for this type of entity, and I could list another 20 reasons. So, taking all emotion aside and frustration- it will take a little while to correct the situation.

Oh and yes, they still have no reason to play nice with any owner since they gain nothing from it. they don't need any owners influence in anything they do (ie. read bylaws, who owns, who controls, etc.). Things will eventually change and improve, however it will not happen overnight. Oh and yes owners who rent on their own still hurt the resort because they bring down the average rental rate, encourage a different type of clientelle, give guests a lower experience (ie. no daily maid service, no pool towels, have to tell them to sneek around, etc.).

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
It takes a little while to remove the company that controls the for profit center. Would it not be nice to just say "let's get rid of them", "out with them", "fire them right now" and so on. However it is a little more complicated that that. For example... they own a lot of the property (including the road leading up to the resort), you have to make sure you are meeting sonoran law and federal law, you have to make sure you are meeting the bylaws of the resort, you have to make sure you are meeting labor laws, you have to make sure the non profit organization (ex. HOA) can meet state and federal tax laws for this type of entity, and I could list another 20 reasons. So, taking all emotion aside and frustration- it will take a little while to correct the situation.

Oh and yes, they still have no reason to play nice with any owner since they gain nothing from it. they don't need any owners influence in anything they do (ie. read bylaws, who owns, who controls, etc.). Things will eventually change and improve, however it will not happen overnight. Oh and yes owners who rent on their own still hurt the resort because they bring down the average rental rate, encourage a different type of clientelle, give guests a lower experience (ie. no daily maid service, no pool towels, have to tell them to sneek around, etc.).
Mexican business economics are horrible. Supply and Demand should dictate the equilibrium price but it doesnt. These are the same Mexicans trying to sell me a fake watch for $100, except they dont realize that here in America we have places like TJ Max and Ross to buy REAL NICE watches for $100. I can get a $200 watch a TJ MAX for $75 and its REAL and comes with a LIMITED WARRANTY. The reason why private rental sales were destroying the resorts is because the resorts dont have a competitive price. We live in America and we know first hand the importance of COMPETITION in the MARKET PLACE. Private sellers IMO shouldnt have adversely affected the rental rates through the resorts directly because it creates competition. Yes, competition means prices come down but business goes up. Las Palomas realized they were being absolutely slaughtered on the rental front because THE OWNERS werent GREEDY FUCKS. The owners are happy to even meet the line and dont care about profit, well at least not in the sense that the Resort does. You know what LP did to combat the private rental market? They started issuing wristbands for facility use. Well, nearly 3 years later, I wonder how thats working out for them? A one bed one bath condo at LP would go for $200 a night plus tax. I believe out the door its like $223 a night, VS. the private seller that rents the same exact condo for $100 a night with a one time $40 cleaning fee. I would say at least five times a year we rent from one of the many contacts Ive developed over the years. We never ever even consider directly renting from the resort because it is an honest to god ripoff. I could go stay at any one of the 4 star resorts in SCOTTSDALE for $200 a night. Just saying, business is down and they are still trying to slang the "$100 fake watch", if you smell what the rock is cooking?!

ernesto

Right on Joe! Time to cut the head off the snake. these dumb bastards would rather rent a couple of condos at rack rates rather than a shitload at a reduced price. They don't understand retail pricing. look at the EMPTY RESORT assholes,and then get a clue. You don't know everything Drymeat or whatever you call yourself.

Last edited:

How the human mind can rationalize anything....even your side of the argument!!! I particularly love the "lower experience" comment.....my gosh....no daily maid service and god forbid....no pool towels!!! What am I going to do????:crybaby:

Last edited: