Leopard Sharks research

I am doing some research for Scripps Institution of Oceanography in San Diego on the movements and population structure of Leopard Sharks. We are trying to find out more about the Mexico population, especially the apparently small population in the Sea of Cortez a.k.a. Gulf of California. Our sandy bottom and shallow warm waters tend to be the choice habitat for leopards.

They tend to be found close to shore, sometimes aggregating in large numbers on sandy beaches... at least that's what is seen in southern California. I know that the "mamon" or "dogfish" type sand shark are abundant in the area, but has anyone caught or spotted (pardon the pun) any Leopard sharks in or near by Rocky Point.

Any input or information on this would be a big help in the study and movement and conservation of this and other fishes, and would also be greatly appreciated...

Thanks...

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I've never seen one in Rocky Point. Doesn't mean they aren't there, but I haven't caught one or seen anybody else catch one. As you said, lots of sand sharks and last week, lots of juvenile black-tip reef sharks, but I've never seen a leopard shark.

Kind of wish they were around - they're fun to catch and I've read several articles about guys that fish for them in the San Francisco Bay area of California.

PS - here's a picture of one, just so everybody knows what to look for.

Attachments

playaperro

El Pirata
Thanks for the photo Stuart... had a little brain fart there and I didn't even think of it...
i never seen one down there either. saw a big white in the back of a truck at the fish market one time. Did you see that one? maybe someone has a pic of it.