Looking For Work

jerry

When i used to be a bum in Reno in the early 80's (never double down on a football bet to win your money back..you can lose 8 straight!) the unemployment office ran a great model "Casual Labor" lottery.It could work as a business model in Puerto Penasco.
The setup:
Job offers come from jobs like riding to the border to translate at the Alduna to unpleasant work like pack rat cleanup.A per hour rate is posted on the big board with a job description. The hopeful workers then draw a numbered poker chip from a can.The lowest number gets the job if the owner of the chip is qualified.The low chip owner can also sell his chip to a guy with a high chip if he has a good employee rating from his last job from the board. We degenerate gamblers used to love the luck of the draw. i once paid 200 bucks for chip one to get a deck job at lake Tahoe )with room and board thrown in...it changed my life as I started to meet people with money that needed someone dependable...could do the same for handy guys in RP

Last edited:
You know Jerry it's scaring me a little, but we may be thinking on the same plane.... I was just coming back on to mention that there are plenty of men connected to the community center that would be ready on a moments notice to do day labor or skilled work or possibly full time jobs. Some of them have trades like painting, carpentry and masonary... I'm going to talk this over with Blanca the director and Harold the founder of the center and see if we can start a temp labor service... I want to do it in a way that the pay is decided between the worker and the employer...

Many of these men I can vouch for their work because I've seen their work at the community center. The men from the community built it (with US volunteers helping)... and the center is built by US codes... no extention cords for electrical work, everything is grounded, modern plumbing, professional painting, quality cement, block and tile work...

Maybe we can call the service "Anything For A Buck or 10 Pesos"

Roberto

Seadweller sez; "Maybe we can call the service "Anything For A Buck or 10 Pesos" '

Hold out for a hundred pesos !!!

I was having a similar idea. Keep it simple, it could get out of control. I would also ask for a small donation from the hiring person to support the center and the effort.

jerry

The Poker Chip method is good because it is...the luck of the draw...no favorites...The employer can pass is he thinks the guy can't do the work too.
You know Jerry it's scaring me a little, but we may be thinking on the same plane.... I was just coming back on to mention that there are plenty of men connected to the community center that would be ready on a moments notice to do day labor or skilled work or possibly full time jobs. Some of them have trades like painting, carpentry and masonary... I'm going to talk this over with Blanca the director and Harold the founder of the center and see if we can start a temp labor service... I want to do it in a way that the pay is decided between the worker and the employer...

Many of these men I can vouch for their work because I've seen their work at the community center. The men from the community built it (with US volunteers helping)... and the center is built by US codes... no extention cords for electrical work, everything is grounded, modern plumbing, professional painting, quality cement, block and tile work...

Maybe we can call the service "Anything For A Buck or 10 Pesos"

Terry C

Landshark, Miguel in Playa Encanto tells me he pays his workers $ 30.00 USD a day. 10 hour days approx. Cleaning, moving sand etc. I give him some for his time bringing them and taking them home. The only price I did get from him is painting the house. It came out good. Labor and supplies, I furnished the paint.

Landshark

Thanks Terry. Is his phone number the same as in his posts on the PENCA facebook? 63838-40349 I remember him being a good guy to deal with.

Landshark, Miguel in Playa Encanto tells me he pays his workers $ 30.00 USD a day. 10 hour days approx. Cleaning, moving sand etc. I give him some for his time bringing them and taking them home. The only price I did get from him is painting the house. It came out good. Labor and supplies, I furnished the paint.
That sounds about like what we pay our cleaning girl Rosie, but she is only here for 4 hours, and we make sure we get the house spotless before she shows up... we don't want her to see what pigs we are... then we feed her lunch and her and Barb chit chat for the other 3 1/2 hours and after they run out of things to talk about, Rosie takes out the trash and she's done and heads for home... I don't know what we would do without her...

Only Joking... Rosie works hard and does a thorough job... She used to waitress at Balboas until things really slowed down and they had to let her go... so we had mentioned that she cleans homes to some of our friends and they hired her, then they told their friends who also hired her and now she is her own boss and making good money...

AZ ROB

That sounds about like what we pay our cleaning girl Rosie, but she is only here for 4 hours, and we make sure we get the house spotless before she shows up... we don't want her to see what pigs we are... then we feed her lunch and her and Barb chit chat for the other 3 1/2 hours and after they run out of things to talk about, Rosie takes out the trash and she's done and heads for home... I don't know what we would do without her...

Only Joking... Rosie works hard and does a thorough job... She used to waitress at Balboas until things really slowed down and they had to let her go... so we had mentioned that she cleans homes to some of our friends and they hired her, then they told their friends who also hired her and now she is her own boss and making good money...

I would vouch for Rosie she is an A++++++++++ in my book..Hard worker and very reasonable.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Mark...I've got a little something for the little girl. Not a big deal. I will get in Monday afternoon and leave Saturday
morning. When would be a good time to get together to pass it on to you? Anything new in the job area for the young man?

Thanks Jack... I will be around all of next week (recooperating from the B-day weekend)... just let me know where and when you are all settled in and I can come to you... And yes Mark Antonio is working for Seaside as of this past Thursday... also next week I will be meeting with others to plan and hopefully set up some sort of a Temp Work Force for people looking for skilled and day labor...