Looks like lock down will continue for awhile

RP Life

Another unhappy Tourist due to the Covid test scam at the Filter. They lost their resort money. I wonder how many more will during this holiday.

They denounce that in Puerto Peñasco sanitary filter they use false tests of Covid-19

> A tourist family exhibits the scam of these quick analyzes

Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, August 30, 2020.- A family of tourists who came to this port denounced that the rapid tests that are being applied in the sanitary filter are giving false, wrong diagnoses, since they had to have it positive for coronavirus, but to return to the States States and taking the test again, this was negative.
Here the full message:
"BEWARE: New way Mexico is scamming people. My family and I were on our way to Rocky Point yesterday morning. We were selected to get tested for Covid. My husband tested positive and we were instructed to turn around and get out. On our journey home we were all scared because we have Covid and haven't had symptoms yet. When we got home we immediately went to Urgent Care to be tested for a US test. NEWS FROM BREAKING TIME We just finished receive our results and they are all negative. According to our Dr. USA stated that he does not know what kind of test MX performed, but it could be for antibodies, which means that at some point my husband could have been exposed or had Covid Some time ago I know I had pneumonia in February.So maybe you had Covid back then, but not now.
Now I'm off my resort fee, not enjoying family time on the beach, etc. Is this a new scam to control the population entering Rocky Point while earning money from the resort?
I am so happy that my family does not have Covid but at the same time I am upset that we were wrongly accused of having the virus. "

www.facebook.com/penascodiario/?ref=py_c

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We experienced nearly same yesterday. Pay $37, wait 15 minutes, but result was negative. Supposedly an antibody test and if positive, home you go. You could have antibodies from months ago. Doesn't matter.

Masks seem optional. Some are wearing them, some not. Malecon was full. Mostly Mexicans. Was a lot of traffic heading north yesterday, looked like about an hour border wait. Everyone is excited about Wednesday "when things will return to normal."

Port was closed Fri, Sat, Sun due to wind.
We may make it out today.

We experienced nearly same yesterday. Pay $37, wait 15 minutes, but result was negative. Supposedly an antibody test and if positive, home you go. You could have antibodies from months ago. Doesn't matter.
This policy is of course stupid, but for reasons including some that have never occurred to them. My wife and I have been inoculated as part of the clinical trial for the Pfizer COVID vaccine. So have about 15,000 other people so far, and then there is the Moderna vaccine trial. Half of these people are getting the actual vaccine, and the others placebo. The people who get the vaccine will develop a strong antibody response. There is a 75% chance that at least one of us will show antibodies. Of course I plan to do my own antibody testing before our next trip down and bring a ton of documents, which they would likely ignore.

This was on De Frente Sonoyta

It looks like they may start stopping you before you enter into Mexico (on the US side) to crack down on non-essential travel.

New "blockade" at the gatehouse goes to US citizens in Mexico
The ambassador, Christopher Landau, called it irresponsible to cross into the United States, taking advantage of citizenship for purchases and family visits in the midst of the pandemic

Tribune of San Luis

In his official Twitter account, the United States Ambassador to Mexico, Christopher Landau (@USAmbMex), reiterated the formation of long lines and delays at land border crossings to the neighboring country due to the actions implemented by the Customs Office and Border Protection (CBP) to facilitate “truly” essential travel.
The foregoing, after said body announced that starting this week the closure of both pedestrian and vehicular lanes would be carried out, as well as a double inspection of each user who intends to cross into the neighboring country for non-essential issues, on those with US citizenship who usually cross from Mexico to “the other side” and vice versa, making use of their legal status to make such trips.
"This weekend there were very long lines at some of the land border crossings to enter the United States from Mexico, because CPB is focusing its resources on facilitating essential travel," he said in the first lines of his message.
In that sense, he said that "it seems that many US citizens in the border region are not taking the restrictions seriously and cross in both directions for non-essential travel such as shopping, meals and family visits," which he adjudged as an aggravation of the health crisis by Covid-19.
USERS REPORT
Regarding said restrictions, users in local social networks stated that until this day the lines remained in "apparent normality"; however, there are those who have already suffered from the blockade by the US authorities, such as Josie, a netizen who shared on her personal account that “they are giving a warning on Sentri. We only have to go to Mexico out of special necessity ”, thus confirming the actions implemented in the border port.
If the USA cares that much why don't they put the pressure on Mr. idiot Manuel Lopez Obrador the president of Mexico to close his border to tourists? It seems to always work when they want Mexico to comply with something they twist his arm like on the import/export deal of the tomatoes. If they are not going to do that then leave people alone and let them travel to Mexico to do what they want instead of living in fear.

If the USA cares that much why don't they put the pressure on Mr. idiot Manuel Lopez Obrador the president of Mexico to close his border to tourists?
I agree, this part of border enforcement should rest 100% with Mexico. Since the "closure" was announced a few months back, the USA does not allow Mexico visitors across the border for tourism/shopping/etc; they can only cross for a handful of "essential" reasons (medical visit, schooling, etc).
But Mexico *never* reciprocated and thus created a giant loophole; US citizens can freely cross to Mexico, and later cannot be denied re-entry back to the US, so it hasn't affected them at all. Here in Nogales the contrast is starkly visible. Mexican plates have almost entirely disappeared from the AZ side, yet for AZ natives it has been business as usual: visits to friends & family in Mexico, trips to San Carlos/PP, etc.
In the end, in spite of whatever the official line is from Mexico regarding health & safety being priority #1, I highly doubt they have any real desire to close the border. Covid may be floating across the border, but so is the almighty dollar- at this point those dollars are likely seen as too important to send back.

It's always about the $$ and that's anywhere. Out of 100, if Covid mattered 51% vs the economy at 49%, the economy win's.
Since this is an election year, so now if Covid mattered 80% the economy would still win because problems associated with
Covid is secondary to many politicians. They may say what people want to hear, but the agenda is much different, staying in
power is all that matters. Because it's all about the $$.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
The essential/non-essential thing - no one stopped or asked us why we were coming into Mexico or even where we were going.

Red light/green light at the border per usual.

I agree, this part of border enforcement should rest 100% with Mexico. Since the "closure" was announced a few months back, the USA does not allow Mexico visitors across the border for tourism/shopping/etc; they can only cross for a handful of "essential" reasons (medical visit, schooling, etc).
But Mexico *never* reciprocated and thus created a giant loophole; US citizens can freely cross to Mexico, and later cannot be denied re-entry back to the US, so it hasn't affected them at all. Here in Nogales the contrast is starkly visible. Mexican plates have almost entirely disappeared from the AZ side, yet for AZ natives it has been business as usual: visits to friends & family in Mexico, trips to San Carlos/PP, etc.
In the end, in spite of whatever the official line is from Mexico regarding health & safety being priority #1, I highly doubt they have any real desire to close the border. Covid may be floating across the border, but so is the almighty dollar- at this point those dollars are likely seen as too important to send back.
I have talked to people on the San Carlos pages and they said they have crossed back into Nogales through Sentri, Standard Lanes in Mariposa without anymore hassle than before the pandemic. My spouse and I are headed to SC in October so that gave us some comfort since we both have Sentri and she is was a conditional resident just renewed to a permanent resident (but they only gave her an 18 month extension letter due to the huge backlog of renewing green cards. ) She probably wont see the new physical green card till the end of next year.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Is the port open for private boats?
Yes. We launched and went out Monday. It was blowing pretty good, but doable. Tuesday was totally blown out and the harbor captain closed the port. Sort of day by day right now due to the weather. Very strong blow from the SSE near daily.

rplarry

Another unhappy Tourist due to the Covid test scam at the Filter. They lost their resort money. I wonder how many more will during this holiday.

They denounce that in Puerto Peñasco sanitary filter they use false tests of Covid-19

> A tourist family exhibits the scam of these quick analyzes

Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, August 30, 2020.- A family of tourists who came to this port denounced that the rapid tests that are being applied in the sanitary filter are giving false, wrong diagnoses, since they had to have it positive for coronavirus, but to return to the States States and taking the test again, this was negative.
Here the full message:
"BEWARE: New way Mexico is scamming people. My family and I were on our way to Rocky Point yesterday morning. We were selected to get tested for Covid. My husband tested positive and we were instructed to turn around and get out. On our journey home we were all scared because we have Covid and haven't had symptoms yet. When we got home we immediately went to Urgent Care to be tested for a US test. NEWS FROM BREAKING TIME We just finished receive our results and they are all negative. According to our Dr. USA stated that he does not know what kind of test MX performed, but it could be for antibodies, which means that at some point my husband could have been exposed or had Covid Some time ago I know I had pneumonia in February.So maybe you had Covid back then, but not now.
Now I'm off my resort fee, not enjoying family time on the beach, etc. Is this a new scam to control the population entering Rocky Point while earning money from the resort?
I am so happy that my family does not have Covid but at the same time I am upset that we were wrongly accused of having the virus. "

www.facebook.com/penascodiario/?ref=py_c
This might be an answer as to why, most likely, that family was unnecessarily
sent back :

COVID TEST, OVERWHELMING NUMBERS OF FALSE POSITIVES

This might be an answer as to why, most likely, that family was unnecessarily
sent back :
COVID TEST, OVERWHELMING NUMBERS OF FALSE POSITIVES
Early in the pandemic I read a very good article about the mathematical side of false positives and negatives. It made a very compelling argument against *random* testing precisely due to the prevalence of false results. Instead it recommended *targeted* testing of people either with symptoms or who had been exposed to confirmed cases.
When you test a large population of people randomly, even a test with a low incidence of false results can produce very bad data, as the false positives can overwhelm the true positives (i.e. real cases). In this scenario, there are so many false positives that it becomes hard/impossible to sort those people out from the real cases (i.e. for the purpose of contact tracing or self-quarantining)
I will post the link later if I can find it...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I have talked to people on the San Carlos pages and they said they have crossed back into Nogales through Sentri, Standard Lanes in Mariposa without anymore hassle than before the pandemic.
We were one of two cars crossing Lukeville yesterday about 11:00. Asked what we had to declare.... fish and shrimp. Have a nice day and waved through. Same as it ever was.

We came back today and agent was more interested in what's in my ice chest. Lukeville crossing agents are
not even mentioning anything about the travel restrictions. 3 trips the past month and nada about the travel restrictions
going on now. Mexico agents not enforcing it.

We were one of two cars crossing Lukeville yesterday about 11:00. Asked what we had to declare.... fish and shrimp. Have a nice day and waved through. Same as it ever was.
That is good! My friend that has a house down there said that one of her Costa Rican friends got a tongue lashing going back into the states by an agent for non essential travel from Rocky Point. I guess it depends on the agent. In the facebook group they have labeled one particular agent that has a power trip. I guess many people have reported him to the Lukeville supervisors.

playaperro

El Pirata
That is good! My friend that has a house down there said that one of her Costa Rican friends got a tongue lashing going back into the states by an agent for non essential travel from Rocky Point. I guess it depends on the agent. In the facebook group they have labeled one particular agent that has a power trip. I guess many people have reported him to the Lukeville supervisors.
Not US citizen no entry especially coming from non essential travel in Penasco, most green card holders can not cross. Like a Norte Americano trying to get into Penasco couple months ago.