Looks like lock down will continue for awhile

RP Life

Rocky Point Times Facebook

"FYI- Wed. Sept. 9th. State Health Department along with the city, will be doing FREE rapid and PCR Covid-19 testing for those who have symptoms.
Where?- Shrimp Park/Plaza starting at 9am."
On Sept. 9th they did 134 Rapid tests for people showing symptoms.
Out of the 134 rapid tests 48 were positive and given a PCR test to confirm.

I wonder when these results will be posted and added to the covid map for Penasco.

They just added 11 cases in one day and 1 death Sept. 11, 2020 ....The map is showing 175 infected and 29 deaths.

Last edited:

RP Life

This is an older news article dated Aug, 8, 2020. It explains how the infections and deaths are drastically being underreported and the mayor confirms this. Here is the link for the full article if you are interested even though It's old. I also read on another site that 3 weeks ago Dr. Felix reported 1400 cases. So 10 percent death rate would be 140. The scribble map has not been used or updated for awhile so I am not sure where Dr. Felix is posting the numbers at.
www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2020/08/08/puerto-penasco-beaches-reopen-heavy-restrictions/3312241001/

Do official numbers undercount cases?

One of Puerto Peñasco's main selling points to draw visitors, and to push for a faster reopening strategy, is the number of reported COVID-19 cases in the city.
As of Thursday night, the Sonora Health Ministry reported 87 confirmed cases and 12 deaths.
But those numbers are a drastic undercount of what's happening on the ground, according to Iván Munguía Felix, a private physician in Puerto Peñasco and a member of the mayor's pandemic response task force.
He created an unofficial map to track infections in the city. It shows more than 270 infections in the city, more than three times the official numbers. He said there are about 300 more cases he hasn't added to the map. In all, he estimates there are about 500 unofficial cases.
"I'm gathering this information from all logbooks from the busiest labs in the city, and from other fellow doctors," he said. "When I started mapping it out I saw that our number is much more different than what government officials reported."
Munguía Felix started tracking cases after catching COVID-19 himself. He said public hospitals in the city are full and don't have tests. They have been sending infected patients to bigger cities given a lack of funding from the state and federal government.
That's how he believes he caught the virus, from an untested family member of an infected patient sent to Nogales.
Munguía Felix was hospitalized for 27 days, in serious condition. He credited his recovery to his brother, who is also a doctor, and a medical team that flew in from Mexico City to treat him.
When his condition improved, he resumed his private practice, doing virtual appointments instead. But Munguía Felix also continued tracking cases. His map assigns a color to each neighborhood to assess the risk.
It shows that the areas most visited by tourists, such as the Malecón and resorts, are in green, the safest level, while high transit neighborhoods away from the beaches are in red, indicating the greatest risk.
"Businesses and hotels there are enforcing measures like tests, temperature checks, scanners, all these measures and they've been able to quickly detect and treat cases," he said, citing it as an example that the city's safety measures are working.
The problem, he said, has been resistance in inland neighborhoods to the safety protocols and growing fatigue with masks and social distancing.
Munguía Felix said he tried reporting the cases to state and federal officials to adjust their numbers. They wouldn't accept them because they did not come from within their own labs or hospitals, he said.
"That's why I developed that map, because the (federal) government is not doing things well, and the state government isn't, either, because they depend on what the federal government sends them, and ultimately, they're the ones in charge," he said.
Munro, Puerto Peñasco's mayor, acknowledged the official case count is based on what the state and federal government reported.
He said the city has stepped in to help residents. In addition to the call center, they offer free testing and even free medication to treat the symptoms of those who test positive.
"What is most concerning isn't the confirmed cases, but the mortality rate, which is at around 10 percent," he said. "That is very worrying," especially for residents who have underlying health conditions, he added.
Munro urged residents at higher risk to stay home, and asked everyone, including visitors, to continue following the safety protocols, especially the use of masks.

Penasco, Under reporting Covid?? Definitely.
I know of a local Penasco family where 7 members had Covid, this is when they were reporting 99 cases in mid Aug.
Since I know probably 30 locals in Penasco, amazingly, I knew 7% of the reported cases. Hummm????

My best local friend there said, the number in mid Aug was closer to 500 cases, based on all the people he
knows who had Covid symptom's which he said was more than 30 people.
Many people don't have the $$ to go see the Dr. and just tough it out, it's when they start coughing badly , that's when
they go to see the Dr.
A guy who does work for me, that had it, ended up going to a Dr. it cost him about $275 to get the med's to get over it.
That's almost 2 weeks pay for him, I ended up sending him $100 to help his family because he couldn't work for 10 days.

My neighbor here in Phx has Covid and after almost 2 weeks is finally starting to get better,
he hardly got out of bed for 10 days. He said it's like having the worse flu, he's ever had on Steroids.
He's under 55 and pretty healthy.

Last edited:

RP Life

The upcoming weeks should be interesting after Labor Day....

The Secretary of Health in the state indicated that, contrary to what many people think, the virus has not stopped and, until today, in Sonora there is an average of 45 percent positivity, which means that out of every hundred tests that are carried out 45 are positive, so we must not lower our guard and follow rigorous health protocols.

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=4348784131862960&id=109703845771031&__tn__=K-R

playaperro

El Pirata
The upcoming weeks should be interesting after Labor Day....

The Secretary of Health in the state indicated that, contrary to what many people think, the virus has not stopped and, until today, in Sonora there is an average of 45 percent positivity, which means that out of every hundred tests that are carried out 45 are positive, so we must not lower our guard and follow rigorous health protocols.

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=4348784131862960&id=109703845771031&__tn__=K-R
Just crazy under reporting 170 cases with 30 deaths.

TICO-T

So funny the high school drop out Trump supporters call it the "Chinese Virus" Educated people call it COVID -19. Why is that so hard to say little fella?