Lost at Sea … Any updates ?

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
How would you get a tan?

Or show off your tats?? Or boobs???

Don't need no stinkin' life jackets!

There are high tech emergency flotation devices now available that are small like fanny packs. They do cost money though.

The Gulf of California is a body of water enclosed by land on three sides. This does not constitute an ocean.

JJ

richwi

Well Known Member
I live in Encanto and most of the people I see on kayaks, paddle boards, inflatable rafts etc are not wearing any type of life jackets.

Old55

Well Known Member
There’s a pic of the kayaks on Facebook. One was located near San Jorge.
The Grey one would have been his.It isn't a double which seems strange . I picture that first ride back to the beach in that wind with two people on it….been there and done that ….upside down and right side up

playaperro

El Pirata
The Grey one would have been his.It isn't a double which seems strange . I picture that first ride back to the beach in that wind with two people on it….been there and done that ….upside down and right side up
It’s extremely hard to speculate what really happened, I was under the impression that there was 3 kayaks.
Most males don’t wear life jackets where females do, maybe they will release more information today.

Old55

Well Known Member
Thanks, Playa. Based on the GPS coordinates in that report (if I'm reading the report from Periodico De Frente correctly), the larger gray kayak was found fairly close to Mayan Palace, about 1.7 miles south of the shore, and about 8 miles east of their Playa Encanto launch. The other smaller green kayak was found about 20 miles south of Playa Encanto, and about 1.3 miles east of San Jorge Island. In both cases, is seems that both kayaks were recovered east of Playa Encanto, one fairly close to shore and the other pretty far south. It's interesting that the kayaks were recovered several (six?) days after the search began.
It’s extremely hard to speculate what really happened, I was under the impression that there was 3 kayaks.
Most males don’t wear life jackets where females do, maybe they will release more information today.
that makes more sense except carry three on a suv roof would be a hassle

Terry C

Well Known Member
As of this AM they have called off the search for the man. I’m sure boaters etc will still be on the look out

Old55

Well Known Member
As of this AM they have called off the search for the man. I’m sure boaters etc will still be on the look out
The currents around the island, especially on the outside northern edge (near the Widowmakers) are wicked as the tide changes. Once you get around the backside of the island (towards the mainland), the currents are tame and the water is settled and clearer, although the snorkeling is not as good. I've snorkeled around the backside many times, and once in a protected little cove near the north end on the outside, but generally never go in the water on the outside of the island.
( the above from a friend that goes to Bird Island on occasion) “
Q. Why does a corpse float, when a living person must exert an effort to stay afloat?
A. Dead bodies in the water usually tend to sink at first, but later they tend to float, as the post-mortem changes brought on by putrefaction produce enough gases to make them buoyant.
The average living body has a specific gravity very close to that of water, according to the outline of a forensic medicine course at the University of Dundee in Scotland.
After death, even small variations in floatability, like air caught in clothing, can affect whether a body sinks right away.
Once the body sinks and goes to the bottom, its own enzymes and internal organisms, especially anaerobic ones in the intestinal tract, gradually break down the soft tissues into liquids, salts and gases, including hydrogen sulfide, methane, carbon dioxide, ammonia and hydrogen.”

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Any advice on kayaking further south? My buddy wants to try yellowtail this winter out of Kino Bay. I am a bit leery of the tides. We have peddle drive riot mako 12 kayaks. It is a very stable platform, but still? Stewart? Any other boaters that have been out down there? Would we be nuts to kayak there (taking all normal precautions)? I would also consider Libertad.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Any advice on kayaking further south? My buddy wants to try yellowtail this winter out of Kino Bay. I am a bit leery of the tides. We have peddle drive riot mako 12 kayaks. It is a very stable platform, but still? Stewart? Any other boaters that have been out down there? Would we be nuts to kayak there (taking all normal precautions)? I would also consider Libertad.
I wouldn't do it. Too far. And depending on where you are, the current freaking rips between the island and the mainland.

Consider Lobos instead. There are plenty of protected areas just south of where they launch that we've wailed on some nice size yellowtail. Almost like a big cove-type area. Jig fishing and they hit HARD!

naztpen

Sometimes we had to go 40 miles to fish for yellowtail. My friend in Kino Has caught them from shore halfway to San Carlos so you might have some success down that way. Himalaya is where they camped.

Old55

Well Known Member
The rocky beach you can camp on North of Libertad would be a good spot when the big tides are not a factor

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Thank you all kindly for the advice. I have been mostly a wade and cast fisherman down there. The rip between the island and the mainland was my biggest concern. I have seen videos of people catching off of Libertad. We might have to go to San Carlos. As much as I like a good old dump of a town, Lobos is too far in that direction for me. We stayed there once and that was enough. The roving packs of dogs barking all night did me in. The garbage dump ambience was also pretty sad. Desemboque is nicer IMHO.

Old55

Well Known Member
I wonder if they converted the Libertad power plant to NG yet? The smoke from the stacks used to hang over the future home of Liberty Cove ….what a joke that was!
Side note I am the only american at Santo Tomas today and was kayaking out to that rock pile maybe 1000 yards out to catch the Cabrilla that hang there . After a half hour I got pretty numb in the fingers and had to turn back ….

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Old55 yes they did convert it. We stayed there a few days and the air was clear. It beat the heck out of Lobos.

Old55

Well Known Member
Years ago we camped at El Sargento south of El Desemboque ( the southern Desemboque) an amazing area but they are pretty iffy on outsiders these days

Old55

Well Known Member
Old55 yes they did convert it. We stayed there a few days and the air was clear. It beat the heck out of Lobos.
TJ if possible tell your buddies that have stayed at Santo Tomas that Adolfo the guard and all around fixer is in the hospital with Pneumonia …. Not doing good