Memorial Day 2012

AZSon

Lol, it's not closed but you will be the only ones there and the Mirador is going to be black, no street lights and look like a dark alley over there by manny's. lol pry not the atmosphere you're thinking of when you think of Manny's... in my mind and Im some what of an expert on Rocky Point night life, Manny's is closed!!!!!!!! TRUST ME YOU WONT WANT TO GO THERE WHEN YOU SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT, it's a shame I know I used to go to Manny's back in the day but its pretty much IRRELEVANT now. Basically you have three options in my opinion, ok 4. You have Wrecked at the reef (formally the reef), Chango's on Sandy Beach in front of the Sonoran Sea, Elixir (real night club experience) located around the corner from Pink Caddy in the Mirador, or Ice Box (wanna be Elixir, more local scene dance club) located in the Mirador as well across from burnt out Manny's. The first two you will find more Americans as they cater to Americans, the second two are mainly local clubs but Elixir is nice and has high end clientele, Ice Box is a dance club too like Elixir just a little bit lower clientele. Nevertheless both clubs are fun and have DJ's spinning live music. GOOD LUCK, GODSPEED
Wow that's sad to hear I remember going to the Rocky Gardens, Pitahaya, Reef, and Manny's as a mandatory night out of partying back in college We will go to Changos as it is close to where we are staying It's great to hear about the new spots.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Wow that's sad to hear I remember going to the Rocky Gardens, Pitahaya, Reef, and Manny's as a mandatory night out of partying back in college We will go to Changos as it is close to where we are staying It's great to hear about the new spots.

Yes me too!! Those were the good ol days when that street would look like Mardi Gras. Yea if you're staying on SB then go to Wrecked at the Reef or Changos.

cwalsh

Will be heading down on the 25th... staying till the 29th. Usually everytime i go to the Mirador area on big US holidays the place is still pretty jam packed (not like it used to be but still quite a bit of people) I usually always stay at Playa De Oro (if there is beachfront avail) if not i stay at the Granada Del Mar. Cant want to be on the beach!! :cheers:

AZSon

Will be heading down on the 25th... staying till the 29th. Usually everytime i go to the Mirador area on big US holidays the place is still pretty jam packed (not like it used to be but still quite a bit of people) I usually always stay at Playa De Oro (if there is beachfront avail) if not i stay at the Granada Del Mar. Cant want to be on the beach!! :cheers:
I've stayed at a few hotels in the past and with friends at their homes in Las Conchas and Encanto. This time we are at Privada so we may hit up some golf. I'm with you, can't wait for tacos 24/7, XX, and the beach!:-D

MIRAMAR

We're going down on Thursday afternoon and returning on Sunday- our daughter who was in the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic for the past 2 + years is coming home! But we cannot miss our favorite weekend in Penasco- the water is warm but it's cooler than Tucson, most schools are out so kids (including adult kids) are having fun on the beach, and there is a great energy in town- money is coming in and the locals are happy.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I talked to a manager of a RV park today and he said that they expected to be 100 % for Memorial day the first time in 3 years. He was very excited. Tide and time wait for no man! I think this tide may have turned......

MIRAMAR

And one more thing- I can't wait to breathe the fresh air in Penasco. For the past month, I've been downing hay fever pills to no avail. Then last week in Penasco, my allergies cleared up and I could BREATHE!! We returned to Tucson on Sunday, and by Monday, back to the Benedryl and Zyrtec. One more week to go for fresh air.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
And one more thing- I can't wait to breathe the fresh air in Penasco. For the past month, I've been downing hay fever pills to no avail. Then last week in Penasco, my allergies cleared up and I could BREATHE!! We returned to Tucson on Sunday, and by Monday, back to the Benedryl and Zyrtec. One more week to go for fresh air.
Naomi and I have not taken allergy medicine for 6 years now since we made the move to Penasco. I love getting through the springtime without watery eyes and constant fits of sneezing! I love it here!

AZJD

Lol, it's not closed but you will be the only ones there and the Mirador is going to be black, no street lights and look like a dark alley over there by manny's. lol pry not the atmosphere you're thinking of when you think of Manny's... in my mind and Im some what of an expert on Rocky Point night life, Manny's is closed!!!!!!!! TRUST ME YOU WONT WANT TO GO THERE WHEN YOU SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT, it's a shame I know I used to go to Manny's back in the day but its pretty much IRRELEVANT now. Basically you have three options in my opinion, ok 4. You have Wrecked at the reef (formally the reef), Chango's on Sandy Beach in front of the Sonoran Sea, Elixir (real night club experience) located around the corner from Pink Caddy in the Mirador, or Ice Box (wanna be Elixir, more local scene dance club) located in the Mirador as well across from burnt out Manny's. The first two you will find more Americans as they cater to Americans, the second two are mainly local clubs but Elixir is nice and has high end clientele, Ice Box is a dance club too like Elixir just a little bit lower clientele. Nevertheless both clubs are fun and have DJ's spinning live music. GOOD LUCK, GODSPEED

THIS.

Mirador is nothing like it used to be back in my college days. Place is a deserted and ghetto ghost town now.

I am a huge fan of Wrecked At The Reef. I think it's the best place to be in Rocky Point at night. La Merca is their Fri/Sat band and they are freaking awesome. Great clientle there and great staff members.

AZJD

IMO, the places to day drink are Boo Bar and Shark Bite. Usually a decent fun crowd there. Especially when the 3 story beer bong comes out at Shark Bite lol. JJ's Cantina is a nice place to relax with a beer. I haven't drank at the new Wrecked At Old Port but I was next to it on Friday and it was a dead inside.

For night fun, Wrecked At The Reef is the best place in town. It's full of American tourists and the band plays all new radio covers. Their equipment is top notch and the owners of Wrecked have done an OUTSTANDING job remodeling it.

Changos is a decent place. It's kinda hit or miss for crowds though. But it's a nice place.

We went to IceBox a few times ago. It's practically 95% mexican locals. It was a disgusting sh1thole but a good time. The bathroom wasn't working and it smelled so bad in there you can to hold your breath. I was gagging when I did breathe.

The Mirador area is a lost cause. Sad. Cuz it was ridiculously fun back in my college days. But now that I'm older (and I'm not old) and married, I just prefer something a bit nicer. And you get that on Sandy Beach.

AZSon

Excellent! I've been suffering lately with the dead grass! Allergies are relentless. Jet Skiis + Ocean = YES!

AZSon

IMO, the places to day drink are Boo Bar and Shark Bite. Usually a decent fun crowd there. Especially when the 3 story beer bong comes out at Shark Bite lol. JJ's Cantina is a nice place to relax with a beer. I haven't drank at the new Wrecked At Old Port but I was next to it on Friday and it was a dead inside.

For night fun, Wrecked At The Reef is the best place in town. It's full of American tourists and the band plays all new radio covers. Their equipment is top notch and the owners of Wrecked have done an OUTSTANDING job remodeling it.

Changos is a decent place. It's kinda hit or miss for crowds though. But it's a nice place.

We went to IceBox a few times ago. It's practically 95% mexican locals. It was a disgusting sh1thole but a good time. The bathroom wasn't working and it smelled so bad in there you can to hold your breath. I was gagging when I did breathe.

The Mirador area is a lost cause. Sad. Cuz it was ridiculously fun back in my college days. But now that I'm older (and I'm not old) and married, I just prefer something a bit nicer. And you get that on Sandy Beach.

Gtrat info here. Thanks. I think we will hit Wrecked and maybe Changos. I would like to check out Boo Bar as well since I have never been there. Where is it?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Hey AzSon, everyone on this forum is invited to my potlucks. We would love to meet you and yours. Just check the potluck thread to tell what you are bringing. Please come all! Us Rocky Point lovers have to stick together!

AZJD

Gtrat info here. Thanks. I think we will hit Wrecked and maybe Changos. I would like to check out Boo Bar as well since I have never been there. Where is it?

It's on the Malecon area by the fish market. It's an upstairs bar. On the right side of the street. Maybe 100yds past Flavios Restaurant. Jose Flores is the owner/manager and is an awesome guy. I think the Asst. Mgr guy's name is Jerry. Pick a booth next to the open windows and it overlooks the water and the Sandy Beach condos are in the distance.

Changos is a nice place and good food. It's also convenient bc it's on Sandy Beach in front of one of the Sonoran condos. But it's hit or miss when it's busy.

Wrecked At The Reef is my favorite bar restaurant in Rocky Point. The band starts playing around 8:30-9pm on Fridays and Saturdays. I can't stress enough how good they are. They play covers of everything. And everything from 60's rock to country to 2012 pop songs from Katy Perry and others lol. They have so much energy. The crowd is usually late 20's up to 60's. Usually the folks staying on Sandy Beach or Cholla Bay. Indoor and outdoor stages. Flat screen tv's and a projector. The outdoor patio is ON THE BEACH with lighted palapas and benches, firepits, and cornhole bag games. GREAT BAR!!!

AZSon

Hey AzSon, everyone on this forum is invited to my potlucks. We would love to meet you and yours. Just check the potluck thread to tell what you are bringing. Please come all! Us Rocky Point lovers have to stick together!
Thank you very much! I appreciate the invite. I will check the thread.

AZSon

On the Malecon next to the fish vendors on the sea side. It's upstairs...
Thanks! I think we ate there once or twice. For some reason I remember some kids using buckets as drums and rocking out. Last time we were down (year before last) we ate at the place across the street, upstairs outside covered patio. I remember the stairs being really steep thinking I was going to kill myself coming down in my drunken stuper!