memorial weekend accident

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
This memorial weekend I was involved in a motorcycle accident outside of cholla bay. I don't know if any of the first responders are on this forum, but I want to say thanks for their quick response and assistance. It ultimately meant walking or not walking again and thankfully because of the close knit community of cholla bay I was able to get air evacted to St. Joe's in Phoenix where I received surgery for broken vertebrae and compressed spinal cord. Some of the people involved kept my bike safe from the local police trying to steal it and I would like to thank them from my heart. If any of you know what I'm talking about or are one of the persons responsible for caring for me I would like to meet you in person to show my thanks.

I wasn't one of the people that helped you, but that really sucks....................just glad you lived to tell about it. Guess you won't be golfing anytime soon.................double sucks. Sounds like you may have a bit of a tough go recooping, but hopefully you'll be better soon and ready to come back to RP!!
Take care and get well soon.

Hey Mexico Joe...

I wasn't involved in your evacuation either, but I am very Glad to hear you are OK...

Was the San Jose Clinic involved??? I have helped people that needed emergency evac and the people at San Jose were very professional and easy to work with... many wishes for a speedy recovery...

Last edited:

playaperro

El Pirata
Sorry to hear the bad news Joe, I hope you have a quick recovery. I will follow up on this and ask a few people I know in Cholla is they know anyone that helped you out. Can you give me the
location where it happened so I can be a little more informed.

Last edited:
P

Penasco Pirate

Joe, was that you on the blue Yamaha? We got there right after you went down and had a towell shading you. Sorry to hear about the end of your weekend, hope all is good or at least getting better! Not the way we would have liked to meet someone, hope to see you again sometime!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, was that you on the blue Yamaha? We got there right after you went down and had a towell shading you. Sorry to hear about the end of your weekend, hope all is good or at least getting better! Not the way we would have liked to meet someone, hope to see you again sometime!
Yes, that was me unfortunately. There were two Phoenix firefighters and an RN that assisted, do you know them? I would really like to show my appreciation to them and you too. Knowing people in small places can have an amazing impact on the outcome of a certain situation and in this case it most definitely did. To Stuart or mark, or whomever it was that asked about San Jorge clinic. Lets say I'm less than satisfied. Other than taking $650 from me and getting me to lukeville they basically did nothing right. Now I know this wasn't America, but it was honestly almost a joke. They couldn't spike an IV correctly, they took x rays which they claim turned out negative even though I had a 3 vertebrae compression fracture and displacement of the spinal cord. I'm sure you have heard the saying Manana Manana, well everything was at their pace, a laxative attitude. Once again this wasn't America and I know that but honestly I believe I had more control of the situation and I was laying there with a broken back. I clearly remember the phx firefighters telling them they were doing things wrong as far as immobilizing my body. Like I said the only thing they did right was get me to lukeville. I love Mexico and RP but I can't say that I'm the least bit satisfied with that clinic. SORRY! this happened right by the enterence of cholla bay and I would like to meet these people. Once again, thanks to everyone and I look forward to coming back to RP ASAP.

Sorry to hear that about your treatment and care or lack of, Joe... I'm not affiliated with them, I just as I said had taken people there with fractured bones to them and they did a great job and that was according to the people that were treated...

Again I do hope you have a speedy recovery... it is no fun, I had a fractured C6 vertibrae back in 1975 when I was 18 years old and Thankfully I am still around and able to talk about it...

I know a firefighter with a house in cholla, who was down that weekend. I will call him and see if he was involved. His last name is Rangel , 6'1", hispanic, athletic guy.

I will let you know if he was involved so you can connect.

cholla

Hi, I didn't know who that was, I am the one that road my quad to the store and called the policia. Nice to meet you, hope it is better circumstances next time.

John

cholla

This memorial weekend I was involved in a motorcycle accident outside of cholla bay. I don't know if any of the first responders are on this forum, but I want to say thanks for their quick response and assistance. It ultimately meant walking or not walking again and thankfully because of the close knit community of cholla bay I was able to get air evacted to St. Joe's in Phoenix where I received surgery for broken vertebrae and compressed spinal cord. Some of the people involved kept my bike safe from the local police trying to steal it and I would like to thank them from my heart. If any of you know what I'm talking about or are one of the persons responsible for caring for me I would like to meet you in person to show my thanks.
Hi, I was the one that rode my quad down to the store and called the policia, they responded very quickly, as they were pulling up when I got back to you. I hope everything is ok for you and that it doesn;t hurt too bad.
About 20 years ago I wrecked a 3 wheeler on Sandy beach and was air evaced to UofA medical. I agree with you about the people down there, they are the best.

John

edit I see I doubled up, I thought the first one didn't work

Last edited:

cholla

I know a firefighter with a house in cholla, who was down that weekend. I will call him and see if he was involved. His last name is Rangel , 6'1", hispanic, athletic guy.

I will let you know if he was involved so you can connect.

Is his first name John? If so I met him on Tucson beach Monday, he said he was a Phoenix fireguy.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I, too, have had mixed results with San Jose. With a broken nose, they were excellent, not so with a broken foot. He told me the x rays showed it was not broken but I could see it was. Had to come home to get treatment.....Hope you recover quickly.

P

Penasco Pirate

Cholla... it was my wife and I in the big black truck that asked you to go for help... THANKS! Joe hope you are feeling better, we'll have a few beers for you at the show this weekend... thinking of you man!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Hi, I was the one that rode my quad down to the store and called the policia, they responded very quickly, as they were pulling up when I got back to you. I hope everything is ok for you and that it doesn;t hurt too bad.
About 20 years ago I wrecked a 3 wheeler on Sandy beach and was air evaced to UofA medical. I agree with you about the people down there, they are the best.

John

edit I see I doubled up, I thought the first one didn't work
John, thanks a ton. That got the ball rolling that eventually got me back to the states. The people I was with told me the Policia were trying to confiscate my bike. Rediculous, I mean really?! Trying to steal my bike, jesus. I guess the quick thinking of those still mystery people took my bike back to their house in Cholla because they were affraid the cops were going to steal my bike. F ing policia!

I understand that "standard" practice with an accident is for the police to "impound" the vehicle until blame can be determined....at least for us gringos ...:stir:that happened to me when I had an accidnet with my truck down there. Got my vehicle after I met at the magistrate's office and was found to not be at fault (and I had Mexicna insurance)......

Maybe Rosy can pipe in here and provide some clarification????

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Joe, sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you have a speedy recovery to keep enjoying RP, what I have heard is that when an american is involved in an accident, down in Mexico, both vehicles are impounded until the person at fault is found, in your case you do not mention whether you had the accident by yourself or against another vehicle, I tent to believe that you had it by yourself otherwise the police would had really taken both vehicles with them, then again I am just thinking of tthose two scenarios, you might be jumping a little to fast into conclussion thinking that the police wanted to steal your bike, specially with all the witnesses that where there to help you, luckly for that, and hopefully, as RPJoe says Rosy will chime in and posssibly explain this a little better to us for future reference

Last edited:
Again this was a couple of years ago...and the police department has been "cleaned" (?????), but the word was back then, that the impound yard where the vehicles were kept was considered a "spare parts store". My friend, who lives in Penasco told me to remove everything I could from the truck before it was impounded, or things would "walk away" while in the yard!!!!:stir:

So I removed my tool box, a generator that i had in the bed of the truck, and things in the glove compartment...forgot to take a nice folding knife....which just happened to disappear!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
No, this was not a vehicular accident, it was a recreational accident between me and the ground. So unless there is some f d up law where the ground has rights and they have to impound my bike because of pending investigations to make sure I dont owe the ground money then I would say they were trying to steal my bike. Not to mention there wasnt any kind of lost in translation if you will because I had a girl with me that is fluent in Spanish. No, they were fully trying to steal my bike and whomever those mystery people were that Im still looking for, they saved my bike. In fact the people that I was with said that after i was taken away the americans that hooked me up were almost sure that if they didnt act quickly and take my bike and lock it in their garage it would have been taken or stolen by the police. Now I know the police situation has gotten better over the years in RP, I believe they saw a white helpless person laying on the ground that couldnt do anything, not even move and they were going to take advantage of the situation. I mean, my bike is too nice and they were popping boners! So yes, no controversy here as far as Im concerned. Still got mad love for the Point, but no respect for the police. Fear and respect are two different things. Thank you, and Im out.