Mirage?? On Sea of Cortez

jerry

I lost count of the number of survivors I annoyed in the back of the helicopter because I wouldn’t let them move. I had a rule – if they came from a cold water environment – they laid down and stayed down until the doctors in the E.R. said they could stand. It didn’t matter to me how good they felt or how warm they thought they were. Because the final killer of cold water immersion is post-rescue collapse. Hypothermia does things besides making everything colder. Victims are physiologically different for awhile. One of the things that changes is called heart-rate variability. The hearts ability to speed up and slow down has been effected. Getting up and moving around requires your heart to pump more blood, being upright and out of the water is also taxing, then any number of other factors collide and the heart starts to flutter instead of pump – and down you go. Victims of immersion hypothermia are two things; lucky to be alive, and fragile. Until everything is warmed back up – out of the water and dry is good enough – mobility comes later.
SCUBA SCOOP/latest dive stories: The Truth About Cold Water interesting..hey obviously it's a dive masters call but.why not make older people wait a few months till the water warms up to jump in

I lost count of the number of survivors I annoyed in the back of the helicopter because I wouldn’t let them move. I had a rule – if they came from a cold water environment – they laid down and stayed down until the doctors in the E.R. said they could stand. It didn’t matter to me how good they felt or how warm they thought they were. Because the final killer of cold water immersion is post-rescue collapse. Hypothermia does things besides making everything colder. Victims are physiologically different for awhile. One of the things that changes is called heart-rate variability. The hearts ability to speed up and slow down has been effected. Getting up and moving around requires your heart to pump more blood, being upright and out of the water is also taxing, then any number of other factors collide and the heart starts to flutter instead of pump – and down you go. Victims of immersion hypothermia are two things; lucky to be alive, and fragile. Until everything is warmed back up – out of the water and dry is good enough – mobility comes later.
SCUBA SCOOP/latest dive stories: The Truth About Cold Water interesting..hey obviously it's a dive masters call but.why not make older people wait a few months till the water warms up to jump in
Interesting clip from that article....and your point.... especially if they have minimal experience snorkeling......even if she was wearing a wetsuit, that initial shock is not very comfortable!

They drown, they panic, they take on water in that first uncontrolled gasp, if they have heart problems – the cold shock may trigger a heart attack.

jerry

Sadly Joe i think this is another case of forum members that knew of this incident not publicizing it because well "blue skies,warm water,cheap beer and naked women riding pink ponies on the beach draped in colorful beads" is all the info some people think should be given out to the rubes back in the states .Defrente....shout out to them as usual
Interesting clip from that article....and your point.... especially if they have minimal experience snorkeling......even if she was wearing a wetsuit, that initial shock is not very comfortable!

They drown, they panic, they take on water in that first uncontrolled gasp, if they have heart problems – the cold shock may trigger a heart attack.

Sadly Joe i think this is another case of forum members that knew of this incident not publicizing it because well "blue skies,warm water,cheap beer and naked women riding pink ponies on the beach draped in colorful beads" is all the info some people think should be given out to the rubes back in the states .Defrente....shout out to them as usual
Jerry...accidents happen anywhere you go.....for scuba, you have to have a "C" card to show that you have the required "minimal" training. For snorkeling, there isn't any requirement, and you can't expect the captain to be giving physicals to everyone. BTW, the only reason I heard about it was because I know one of the divers who was on the boat...and I only got the story late on Monday evening....

I would expect that she was wearing a wetsuit for even snorkeling with the current water temps, but a lot of the responsibility rests with the individual. I heard her husband was also on the boat trip, and she and another woman were the only ones snorkeling. That tells me her husband was doing scuba (am I making an "ass"umption?)...and should have known what to expect, and what his wife's physical condition was...... I have a "C" card, and have snorkeled in the Penasco area, but I'm so out of shape, that I wouldn't do it in these temperatures...when it hits t-shirt/bathing suit temps in the water...then I'm game!

Cheri Rae Walton, with her husband Doug, was a client of mine. I spoke with Doug 2 days after Cheri's death. He said that he was scuba diving and she had been snorkling. The tide was strong and she wound up too far from the boat. She tried to swim back. His exact words after that were, "She had a strong heart, but apparently not strong enough". It doesn't seem that water temperature played a role. Cheri was a very nice lady from Santa, Idaho. May she rest in peace.

jerry

Well this actually makes it sound worse ...maybe a extra hand on deck/spare kayak to keep an eye on people in the future...water temps would have still played a part in this ..you lose muscle power.. ....
Cheri Rae Walton, with her husband Doug, was a client of mine. I spoke with Doug 2 days after Cheri's death. He said that he was scuba diving and she had been snorkling. The tide was strong and she wound up too far from the boat. She tried to swim back. His exact words after that were, "She had a strong heart, but apparently not strong enough". It doesn't seem that water temperature played a role. Cheri was a very nice lady from Santa, Idaho. May she rest in peace.

Well this actually makes it sound worse ...maybe a extra hand on deck/spare kayak to keep an eye on people in the future...water temps would have still played a part in this ..you lose muscle power.. ....
Well those of you with water sport experience would certainly know better than I about that stuff. I'm just sorry she's gone and send am praying for her loved ones, especially Doug.

AZ ROB

For anybody who has dove lake plesant in the summer time can relate. first 10' of water can be 90 degrees then at 30 feet it can be 75 degrees by the time you drop to 80' you are in the 50 degree temp range. I know that doesn't compare to the thermocline in the ocean (ocean or sea has less change from surface to depth) not only is it dramatic but you can visually see the diffrence in water temps. Colder is clearer..

cheatka

A few yrs ago the people in the house next to us (drinking of course) started yelling that there was an iceberg coming in. They were totally serious so we took them our binaculors. Too funny

GV Jack

Snorin God
In Las Conchas, standing on the patio , facing south, is that what I see in the early morning when I look to the east/southeast?

I see these jagged pieces of land sticking up out of the water. (Shut up Roberto. This is a lagit question)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yup Jack, that's Bird Island. We'll have to take a boat ride out there sometime... that is if you can remember which day! LOL!

Roberto

For anybody who has dove lake plesant in the summer time can relate. first 10' of water can be 90 degrees then at 30 feet it can be 75 degrees by the time you drop to 80' you are in the 50 degree temp range. I know that doesn't compare to the thermocline in the ocean (ocean or sea has less change from surface to depth) not only is it dramatic but you can visually see the diffrence in water temps. Colder is clearer..
Your 'colder is clearer' coment reminded me of this. Last time I dove, we had to break through the ice first. It was in an abandoned quarry in Pa. The water was absolutley crystal clear as we descended. There were little organisms swimming/floating around that looked like little jelly fish. We were only in a short time as we were equipped with Navy surplus 'Dry Suits' with insulated clothing underneath. There was a clamp affair that joined the shirt to the pants that we did not have so we had leaks !! Glad I was only 20 at the time !!

Your 'colder is clearer' coment reminded me of this. Last time I dove, we had to break through the ice first. It was in an abandoned quarry in Pa. The water was absolutley crystal clear as we descended. There were little organisms swimming/floating around that looked like little jelly fish. We were only in a short time as we were equipped with Navy surplus 'Dry Suits' with insulated clothing underneath. There was a clamp affair that joined the shirt to the pants that we did not have so we had leaks !! Glad I was only 20 at the time !!
They had scuba back then??? :rofl: Must have been "Sea Hunt" style stuff....